Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some cold hard facts about Boxing that you hate to admit?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My opinion about boxing (this would be post 2000 -before then, degrees of dirtiness to be sure, but this past ten plus years have really stunk).

1. That boxing promoters and their greed and corruption have ruined boxing and made it about financial tampering/investment than sport. They couldn't give a cold sh%t about the sport. I know this has always been around, but it just seems to be more high profile today.

2. That the majority of mainstream boxers today care more about career earning potential than creating fan pleasing fights inside the ring. I appreciate that we all need to make a living but when fighters spend the majority of their energy thinking about financial strategies and who to draw into the ring based upon a payday and then what can be parlayed into even bigger paydays... And when that same line of thinking has absolutely nothing to do with giving the fans the most competitive and rewarding fights, well... I think that is bullsquirt. I have nothing against fighters making money -hell, big money! But remember that the fight comes first. The event! Would Ali/Frazier have even been made today? Or would the two combatants have been too wrapped up in percentage and purse splits and ppv revenue? Sounds like a pair of fighters we know, right? If Pac and Floyd were around in the 70s, we'd probably be into the rubber match by now.

3. I'm sick and tired of watching fighters holler about being warriors and leaving it all in the ring, only to run, slip and slide and then flurry in the last ten seconds of a round and/or attempt to steal a bout in the championship rounds. Or draw bogus fouls, take peds, and/or otherwise walk away from/cancel their commitments to fights which we, the fans, were otherwise eagerly looking forward to. This is anticlimactic and very disappointing for a sport that is already struggling to gather fresh blood and keep it's current fan base satisfied.

Rant over. Thanks!

Comment

These crazy, blind ass judges that rob fighters that risk their health & lives to entertain us fans. Even if I'm for the guy that was awarded the win when he clearly lost... i.e. Cloud, Rios, etc.. It pisses me off beyond belief. I understand that sometimes it might just be their opinion, but some of this shit gets ridiculous. To me this hurts the sport. I also have a big problem with PED's. I just don't get it.

Comment

that your favorite fighter will soon retire

bob arum being one of the reasons why pacquiao wont fight mayweather

crooked Ass judges giving horrible decisions just because of the fighter's popularity or because of being paid off, ex: pac-marquez 3, lara-williams, rios-abril

boxing not getting the recognition it truly deserves and has to take a backseat to the UFC

arguing with ppl who dont know a gotdayum thing about boxing outside of pacquiao-mayweather, and they hardly know anything about that

Comment

Breidis Prescott's jokes about Khan are hilarious.

Or whoever writes them.

Comment

Judges suck!

Comment

Current Wlad would beat Vitaly

If david haye had the hart of Joe frazier he would have knocked out Wlad because he have the skill set.

Mikkel kessler is done, his prime ended at age 28 in his prime he would have given ward a run for his money.

Maidana is not prime enymore and will start to loose more and more ( that one sucks)

Ortiz is a ****ing moron

No on knows have good or bad Pacman is today

Floyd is wasting his potential to become who he says he is , GOAT by not fighting fighters we know are dangerous for him
              And soon he will retire rich and hated.

Canelo is different from the rest

Comment

BOXING IS FIXED!

This current Era has some of the most OVERRATED FIGHTERS I ever seen, guys who fans and media people drool over and they haven't done anything in the sport of boxing and/or they are just not that good but because they have a marketable look I guess they are being promoted as "THE NEXT BIG THING", so matches are likely being FIXED for them or their promoters are picking the Right Opponents for them to look good against
                Last edited by sicko; 05-17-2012, 10:46 AM.

Comment

That the mainstream sports media will never take boxing seriously.
                  When they do talk about boxing it's only about Pac and Floyd. Like every other boxer just isn't worth a damn for them.

Robberies will continue to happen and no one will do a thing about it. Like suspensions really help. Doesn't help the guy who got robbed though does it?

That fighters who won because of a robbery won't admit that they lost. Williams and Rios.. does it hurt to be honest?

Promoters will try and act like they are not the cause of fights not happening. Like Arum recently saying that the fighters choose who they fight. Really? Then why do they always say "It's up to my promoter Bob Arum." If it was up to them why the hell do they say that? Or I'll fight whoever my promoter puts in front of me. Yep, they sure can choose alright.

That I'm going to have to listen to this "boxing is dying" crap for years to come. When nothing could be further from the truth. As long as there are fans boxing is going no where.

Comment

Floyd is ducking Pacquiao.

Miguel Cotto is not a bum.

Comment

That boxing has been reduced to popular vs popular instead of the best vs the best

Comment

Working...
                      X