Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Arum Responsible For Making Mayweather, Dela Hoya and Pacquiao Stars?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say HBO played just as large a role as Bob Arum, in fact they were in the Pacquiao business before Arum was, Oscarwere both Olympic stars Oscar much more so than Floyd but Floyd got the advantage of his Olmpics being the the US. All three had their whole rise covered and made a big deal about by HBO.

Arum did play a role also but it is not like he did it on his own~

Comment

I don't know that Floyd got BIG for real til after he left Arum. Floyd hadn't even gotten 400k PPV buys for a fight previous to the fight with Oscar. Then BOOOM 2,400,000 buys in his 2nd(?) fight after Bob. I think a great many promoters could have done with Floyd what Bob did & likely even done a better job.

Comment

De La Hoya was already a star since the amateurs.

Mayweather had the Mayweather name, he was a boxer when he was born. His father and uncles were known, they were in high profile fights against Chavez and Leonard respectively.

Pacquiao, wasn't he known before joining Top Rank? His name really blew up after defeating De La Hoya. Before that, I only knew him for losing to Marquez and Morales.

Comment

Originally posted by EngorgedW/Blood View Post
          De La Hoya was already a star since the amateurs.

Mayweather had the Mayweather name, he was a boxer when he was born. His father and uncles were known, they were in high profile fights against Chavez and Leonard respectively.

Pacquiao, wasn't he known before joining Top Rank? His name really blew up after defeating De La Hoya. Before that, I only knew him for losing to Marquez and Morales.
          I think Top Rank knew how to promote, they were big time compared to others. They were willing to put in the hard work to promote a fighter and willing to spend big money to advertise an event. That was the difference. Like I said if those guys were promoted by someone else like Shaw or DiBella, they may make it as big as a Martinez or a Darchinyan.

Those promoters either do not have the money or just not willing to spend. That has always been Arum's contention regarding Martinez, DiBella should spend the money promoting the guy.

Here's another question, if Martinez signed with Top Rank instead of re-signing with DiBella, could he had been made into a big star like the other three?

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
            I would say HBO played just as large a role as Bob Arum, in fact they were in the Pacquiao business before Arum was, Oscarwere both Olympic stars Oscar much more so than Floyd but Floyd got the advantage of his Olmpics being the the US. All three had their whole rise covered and made a big deal about by HBO.

Arum did play a role also but it is not like he did it on his own~
            HBO still have to deal with the promoters, which still have to market their product. Pacquiao was with Murad at the beginning. He was with Shaw for one fight on HBO. Then signed with Top Rank, and it snow balled from there.

Obviously the fighters still have to perform and do their parts.

Comment

I will give him credit for Pacquiao 100%, perfect match making by Arum no question help make him what he is today

and I give him a lot for Oscar as well...make no mistake, Arum is good at building up boxing stars with prop match ups and then CONVINCING CASUAL FANS THAT HIS FIGHTERS ARE THE BEST

Mayweather though became a bigger star...AFTER LEAVING ARUM and creating his MONEY persona and becoming the Villain In Boxing and turning all of the HATE into a lot of $$$

Comment

Remember Arum preserved Mayweathers 0. CASTILLO beat him 115-111.
                If not for Top Ranks power that 0 would be and 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Very Rich Man View Post
                  Top Rank made DLH a star, Pacquiao and Floyd became stars when they beat DLH.
                  Oscar was actually already a start coming out of the Olympics, coming fromm East LA, he had the look (no ****), and the story about his mother pasing and promising her a Gold Medal. He was labeled the Golden Boy from the beginning.

Floyd and Pac were groomed by Top Rank, and were catapulted taking over Oscars spot when he left the sport and the exposure they got fighting him

Comment

At first I was going to say no, because Oscar De La Hoya and Pacquiao are exciting fighters, and then I saw Floyds name.

So yes, Arums responsible for them becoming stars.

Comment

The question isn't if Arum made them stars. That's his job. The question is why did Dlh and Floyd leave Top Rank if Arum made them stars. It goes both ways. Arum puts them in position, and the fighters do the rest.

Comment

Working...
                      X