No announcement yet.

who rans higher as a ATG Floyd or Pernell Whitaker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
    You always manage to surprise me with one out of left field, despite your long history of, shall we say, interesting perspectives?

So what exactly defines a great win? Whitaker beat Chavez as clearly as anyone could have. Pure politics should not take away from the simple facts of the sport. That being that despite an utterly disgraceful moment of boxing corruption at its finest, Pea was the first fighter to beat the ATG with the longest unbeaten streak in history. That is a great win.

Nelson is a great win. A great win, to me at least, is a win over a prime HOFer. Nelson was that.

There are great wins, and there are those truly great wins. Truly great being those few like Duran over Leonard, Leonard over Hearns, Ali over Foreman, Frazier over Ali. Whitaker has greater wins, despite BS corruption.
    I'm glad that most are able to look past the corruption and view Whitaker's domination of Chavez as a win. Floyd however didn't get the luxury of having a truly great fighter campaign around his weight class, the only one right now is Pacquiao but that's obviously not gonna happen. Even then, even if Floyd wins, Pacquiao right now ain't better than Chavez or Nelson, he's not as versatile as those two and Manny has looked like a straight mess his last two outings...

Floyd can definitely surpass Whitaker but it's gonna be tough.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
      Neither one has a "great win" but Floyd was much more consistent

Whitaker beat julio cesar Chavez. **** what the judges said.

Comment

Pernell had a few great wins with Nelson, McGirt, on his 16 fight he fought Ramirez to a robbery which he avenged. That draw against Chavez was another robbery.

Pernell had a very good under-rated win against Julio Cesar Vazquez. He went up in weight against a gut who beat Winky Wright and beat him. Withaker was very avoided in his prime.

The ODLH fight Sweet Pea got a point deducted for a cut that ODLH suffered.

Pernell outlanded ODLH and even scored a flash knockdown. The scores were so wide that it was ridiculous

Floyd has that great win against Corrales but was usually the favorite to win. IMO he is missing that real threat like another Corrales fight that he can pull off. A Pac(#1P4P) and a Martinez (#1 MW and a real threat) win would do wonders for him.
        Last edited by TOBYLEE1; 05-14-2012, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Whitaker...

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
            Martinez is far from an ATG or a hall of famer. I don't know why people keep bringing his name up. The biggest thing Martinez has done was KO an overrated Paul Williams.
            Because Martinez is p4p number 3 right now and is knocking guys out left and right and would be considered a huge win for Mayweather if he won, those wins also account to legacy, but its been a long time since Floyd has been in the ring with a huge threat, Cotto was the only recent one and people weren't giving him a chance including myself

Comment

Originally posted by ArtThouFurious? View Post
              Whitaker by a ****s hair. The gap isn't as wide as some in this thread are making it out to be.

BTW, Floyd's win over Marquez is comparable if not greater than Whitaker's win over Nelson.

Floyd has nothing close to a prime Chavez Sr. on his resume though.
              This a joke?

Comment

For those that claim that Pea's win over Nelson is THAT much greater than Mayweather's win over Marquez. How many p4p #1 fighters had Nelson beaten several years after losing to Pea, in the same weight class that he loss to Pea? Infact, how had Nelson proved his capability in that division at all?

Comment

floyd's not even higher than pac on the ATG list. whitaker? lol larry

Comment

Originally posted by ArtThouFurious? View Post
                    For those that claim that Pea's win over Nelson is THAT much greater than Mayweather's win over Marquez. How many p4p #1 fighters had Nelson beaten several years after losing to Pea, in the same weight class that he loss to Pea? Infact, how had Nelson proved his capability in that division at all?

Kill yourself

Comment

Wow..I'm shocked at the poll. NSB has more boxing knowledge than I expected.

Comment

Working...
                      X