No announcement yet.

Boxing Fans Should Start A Petition Urging Shane Mosley To Retire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
    In a interview before this fight he responded to this.

He said stop it I'm okay, don't worry about me. -Paraphrased

So he has plenty of people tell him what he should do already.
    I understand that but he took more punishment in this bout than in his last two combined, and he was far more confident going into this bout also. I would say that he took almost as much if not more punishment in last night's bout than he did in the Mayweather bout, and his performance last night was far worse, he lost pretty much every single round and Alvarez isn't on the same level as Mayweather which tells us that Shane has deteriorated a lot. I think he really should retire, it's just my opinion, if he continues, I have a feeling that something very bad is going to happen sooner or later and considering that the guy has given so much to the sport of boxing over the years, I think we should all be trying to help him avoid that potential situation in any way that we can.

Originally posted by streetwaves View Post
    He only looked his best in terms of effort put in. He looked his worst as far as reflexes, speed, power, etc. Even compared to the Pacquiao fight, Mosley seemed to be much further diminished last night. Of course, he actually fought last night.

Canelo's not known as fast, and he basically was able to land at will. Mosley couldn't avoid anything, and hard punches at this point are going to add up fast and turn him into a complete idiot. He still can speak and think fairly well regardless of slight slurring. Get out of there with this one last great effort.

Depends how stubborn he is. But I think he could decide to retire, considering how confident and sure he was about being "very dominant" against Canelo. It was sad to watch, but I'm glad he made it through and didn't get stopped. Golden Boy didn't deserve that. They used Mosley but at least they didn't get 100% of what they wanted from him.
    Excellent post. I completely agree. Green K sent!

Originally posted by commodus View Post
    fucc shane what about HOLYFIELD still fighting
    This thread is about Shane Mosley, not Evander Holyfield or anyone else. I suggest you either stick to the topic at hand or find another thread to post in.
    Last edited by JK1700; 05-06-2012, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Agree, He is now on the list of fighters who should retire and won't. Roy, Evander, James Toney and now Shane. The Promoters need to just stop paying them to fight and just use their name to promote (a day job so their not broke and don't have to get in the ring). One day one of these guys will get seriously hurt, if they have either Klitschko Bro fight Evander it could be in that fight, I think it would be as bad as Holmes vs Ali, if not worse.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmike2012 View Post
        Agree, He is now on the list of fighters who should retire and won't. Roy, Evander, James Toney and now Shane. The Promoters need to just stop paying them to fight and just use their name to promote (a day job so their not broke and don't have to get in the ring). One day one of these guys will get seriously hurt, if they have either Klitschko Bro fight Evander it could be in that fight, I think it would be as bad as Holmes vs Ali, if not worse.
        I agree, unfortunately though, as long as there is a dollar to be made, there will be promoters who are willing to continue to put those guys in the ring. It's a sad situation but I think the commissions and the people around these guys need to start taking more responsibility because the fighters hardly ever know when to quit. The fact that there are so many out there who are in dire straits as far as their health is concerned lets you know that there are very few friends for these guys in the sport of boxing, there's mainly people just looking to make money.

Comment

Shane is already slurring his words fairly badly, so why on earth is it a good idea for him to continue fighting, just because he happened to "try to win" against Canelo? That makes absolutely no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by EngorgedW/Blood View Post
            Mosley is the last fighter who needs a petition to retire.

Roy Jones Jr and Evander Holyfield should be urged to retire. More so Roy.

Mosley has gone the distance in all of his losses. And to tell him to retire after possibly his best showing of his last 4 fights, is stupid. The was the best I have seen Shane in a while.

He clearly lost and was beat up on, but he finally tried to win. Something he didn't really do against Mayweather and Pacquiao. And looked entertaining for the first time sine 2009 vs Margarito.
            I agree with this totally. The punch stats say Mosley threw 745 punches and he threw 74 punches in the last round. Those are the numbers of a fighter in shape that tried to win until the final bell. Maybe you should give Canelo some credit for a great performance. That might be more punches than Mosley threw in his three previous fights combined. I believe he went into the Mayweather fight with 17 months of ring rust, stale and over trained. He was exhausted after two rounds. He fought much better last night. Floyd won the last ten rounds with ease but it was not the kind of beating that destoys a fighter mentally or physically.

Comment

Working...
            X