Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Far will Mayweather Promotions go?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's hard to say. We see the way he acts, and it seems like he could have a golden opportunity, and run it straight into the ground, no matter what.

But, despite the way he sometimes acts, it would appear that he's certainly not an idiot. Look at how well he manages to get himself paid. It's unreal. Especially for a boxer so many people claim they hate to watch.

People like to say that he'll "be broke when he retires", but I'm not so sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Come∂ian View Post
      He'll be making close to 50 million dollars this weekend and even more once he fights again in December. All off his sport, no endorsements. Who makes more?
      Why does such a great businessman and marquee sports star earn so little from endorsements?

Comment

i don't think it will be hard for mayweather promotions to go far because he's bad at business (which i dont think he is) but more so bc of the monopoly of gpb, lou dibella, and top rank. i mean all these guys already have their hands on young prospects.

When oscar became a promoter, i believe don king was already declining, so a spot opened up.

Not only that, we have to see whether or not his current persona is going to affect his future as a promoter. I mean i think a good majority of the people right now buy his fights to see him lose, since he likes to play the heel or bad guy role. But how many people are going to actually want to buy his fights after he retires knowing how he carried himself as a fighter? (another integral question mark for his future)

Nevertheless, if he can sign gamboa, that would hold well for his future.

Comment

Originally posted by Antagonist View Post
          He should just take over a branch of Golden Boy. He can take it pretty far depending on how serious he is about it when he retires though.

But I can sum up the thread for you.

Floyd Haters - It will run into the ground
          Floyd Fanboys - It will take over and run Top Rank into the ground
          This lol

Comment

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.....

Comment

a future where fighters are promoted by the likes of de la hoya and mayweather, etc beats the a$$ of a past/present where fighters are promoted by Arum and King etc

Comment

Originally posted by junior gong View Post
                Why does such a great businessman and marquee sports star earn so little from endorsements?
                What endorsements? He has no endorsements.

Comment

Originally posted by Come∂ian View Post
                  What endorsements? He has no endorsements.
                  Their position is that they made the trade-off to make the money off the controversial personality, and that cost them endorsements.

That is THEIR position.

But tread carefully. Things can change quickly. For example, George Foreman had the surliest personality as a boxer and made no side money during his fighting days.

...but then he made $100 million plus off some cheesy plastic grills.

Comment

apparently Samuel Eto'o is the highest paid soccer player, earning £400,000 per week at a russian club. dnt know how much in a year that is but thats nuts.

Comment

I think Mayweather is going to be a EXCELLENT PROMOTER, especially if he is serious about taking care of his Boxers

What I think will happen is that Haymon fighters will ultimately be fighting under the NAME "MAYWEATHER PROMOTIONS" instead of Haymon having his fighters fighting with Golden Boy Promotions, they will just have them under Mayweather Name...similar to how Richard Schaefer is the MONEY MAN and Oscar has the NAME!

Mayweather charisma and trash talking with the team he has around him, I think he has what it takes to build up a TOP PROMOTION, which would be GREAT FOR BOXING, instead of Mayweather just leaving the sport once he is done and never coming back which a lot of great fighters did and I think that actually HURT THE SPORT, wish more legends would have stayed around and helped promote OTHER YOUNG FIGHTERS like Oscar did! Oscar was man enough to PASS IS TORCH! He didn't have to fight Mayweather or Pacquiao, Oscar legacy was secured by then, but he put business first and he made a ton of money off of both of them and he continued to make money off of Pacquiao a few fights after their fight I think

Getting Gamboa away from Top Rank would be HUGE!
                      Last edited by sicko; 05-03-2012, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X