No announcement yet.

Why is Steward losing fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    I've just never considered his advice to be good between rounds or his fighters to improve during his stay with him.

Even the ones he's sucessful with he doesn't give the best advice.

But it's JMO.
    I got that too from him. I remember one time in particular, the Cintron vs Margarito rematch, he kept telling Cintron to go forward and basically fight toe to toe. I thought that was one of the dumbest things I ever heard and thought the strategy should be the opposite (box margarito from the outside).

But on the flip side I always thought he told jermain taylor the right things and tried to motivate him to let his hands go more, but taylor just wouldn't listen.

Comment

Cuz he sucks just like James Toney said.

Comment

He has alot on his plate, and doesnt give the guys enough attention/priority that they would like.

Comment

he's just too old to do this and should stick to commentary, which he's doing good.
          you can tell when someone's getting old, they got more hair in the nose than on the head

Comment

He probably charges a ton.

Comment

He's great if you're a tall and lanky guy who can work behind the jab, but I don't think he has very good strategies for fighters who don't fit that bill.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                I've just never considered his advice to be good between rounds or his fighters to improve during his stay with him.

Even the ones he's sucessful with he doesn't give the best advice.

But it's JMO.
                Hearns
                Lewis
                Wlad

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman View Post
                  He's great if you're a tall and lanky guy who can work behind the jab, but I don't think he has very good strategies for fighters who don't fit that bill.
                  ^^^This.............and also a top fighter wants the to be the top priority of a trainer especially when they get to a certain level. The fighter wants to make sure he prepares well for the fight. In Cotto's case Stewart was dropped because of money and because Stewart needed to take care of Andy Lee's fight first before he could start training Cotto. Cotto wanted to be in top shape and make sure he had enough time to prepare for Margarito. Cotto's new trainer started training camp in late February for his Mayweather fight. I couldn't see Stewart starting that early

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
                    I got that too from him. I remember one time in particular, the Cintron vs Margarito rematch, he kept telling Cintron to go forward and basically fight toe to toe. I thought that was one of the dumbest things I ever heard and thought the strategy should be the opposite (box margarito from the outside).
                    But on the flip side I always thought he told jermain taylor the right things and tried to motivate him to let his hands go more, but taylor just wouldn't listen.
                    I remember that too. Cintron was fighting his best when he gave himself space to operate and Steward kept telling him to fight inside.

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyDempsey View Post
                      Most notably, one training camp apiece for Miguel Cotto and Chad Dawson. Does Emmanuel Steward have too much on his plate lately, or is his training style not as relevant with today's fighters? Is it a personality issue?

Just curious if anyone knows anything beyond the headlines on this one.
                      He lost Dawson because he refused to train him in Connecticut because he felt Dawson was too distracted when he trained there.

As for Cotto, no one know about that. I've heard anything from money to Cotto not agreeing with Emmanuel on strategy and the like.

Either way he's still a great tough trainer, and has a fighter competing for a world title this summer.

Comment

Working...
                      X