No announcement yet.

Donaire peers......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
    Morel and De La Mora were ehhhhh and not that legit of fights as well, but who had Mares fought prior to that??? Yhonny Perez, Vic Darchinyan, and Joseph Agbeko twice.

Narvaez was a joke, everyone was saying that.

Sydorenko was a non factor at 118 when Donaire fought him, that's why it wasn't a legit fight. He hadn't done anything since losing to Moreno. No one thought that was a legit fight. Just call it like it is. Sydorenko meant something when Moreno fought him, because he was one of the Top ranked BW's and had beaten Agbeko and Cordoba. When Donaire fought him, he'd lost to Moreno, wasn't inside the Top 10 anymore, and hadn't done s**t in 2 years.

Don't give the guy passes he shouldn't get.
    Narvaez is still no 1 with The Ring 3 pounds south of where he got routed by Donaire. Who cares what everyone is saying, hardly anyone watches or knows these classes. I don't see how you can complain about this one on principle. Yes, Donaire looked much bigger, he still made weight every time when competing at 112, 115.

Sid, I just told you he sat out for over a year. That'll often cause you to drop out of the ratings, depending on your promotional affiliation. It's not like he came back from 3 years off like Winky. Dzinziruk had a worse stint of inactivity, got him a fight for the MW championship, where he'd never even competed.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ223 View Post
      Knowing about the TR GB beef why do constantly bring up Moreno/Mares vs Donaire.... (Plus hasn't Moreno passed on that because of $ already?)
      If you read my other posts, I already said the most realistic options for Donaire at 122 are Nishioka and Rigondeaux because if TR/GBP. I think he'll fight Nishioka in the Spring 2013 after Arce in the fall, that is if he doesn't jump to 126 starting in 2013. I doubt he'll ever fight Rigondeaux.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
        Narvaez is still no 1 with The Ring 3 pounds south of where he got routed by Donaire. Who cares what everyone is saying, hardly anyone watches or knows these classes. I don't see how you can complain about this one on principle. Yes, Donaire looked much bigger, he still made weight every time when competing at 112, 115.

Sid, I just told you he sat out for over a year. That'll often cause you to drop out of the ratings, depending on your promotional affiliation. It's not like he came back from 3 years off like Winky. Dzinziruk had a worse stint of inactivity, got him a fight for the MW championship, where he'd never even competed.
        Narvaez had no shot going in and it was not a legit title defense. I'm sorry but it wasn't.

Winky should have stayed gone when he came back for Williams, it showed he was past it by suffering that layoff, and he's going to get brutalized by Quillin on June 2nd.

Dzinziruk had his period of inactivity, but it's still different. After losing to Moreno, Sydorenko was a non factor at anyweight around there. Dzinziruk was still unbeaten and had beaten Santos and Julio at 154. While it wasn't his weight class, it was still different than Sydorenko fighting Donaire.

We can agree to disagree. I just feel like Donaire gets too many passes for being the supposed 2nd coming and a Top 10 P4P fighter. His reusme isn't what you'd think it is considering all the praise and hype he gets.

Comment

Narvaez had no shot going in and it was not a legit title defense. I'm sorry but it wasn't.

Winky should have stayed gone when he came back for Williams, it showed he was past it by suffering that layoff, and he's going to get brutalized by Quillin on June 2nd.

Dzinziruk had his period of inactivity, but it's still different. After losing to Moreno, Sydorenko was a non factor at anyweight around there. Dzinziruk was still unbeaten and had beaten Santos and Julio at 154. While it wasn't his weight class, it was still different than Sydorenko fighting Donaire.

We can agree to disagree. I just feel like Donaire gets too many passes for being the supposed 2nd coming and a Top 10 P4P fighter. His reusme isn't what you'd think it is considering all the praise and hype he gets.
          That's fine, I'm done with this argument. I wish you'd tell me what makes Narvaez not legit (other than he had no chance; by that token, FMJ and RJJ have hardly had a legit fight between them), but whatever. I'm not that impressed with Nonito's comp either, but I don't see his p4p peers having much stronger streaks.

Sergio: Dz, Barker, Macklin, then preferably Chavez. To me this is worse than Donaire
          Ward: Green, Bika, AA, Froch. Other than Froch, is there a p4p top 100 here?
          Wlad: no comment needed

Comment

Donaire is in his 4th weight class now, and he's already 29. He's beaten Darchinyan, Maldonado, Mthalane, H. Marquez, Montiel, and Vazquez Jr. His Flyweight resume was solid, all of those fighters were in the Top 10 there at Flyweight, and Darchinyan was Top 10 P4P at the time. Hernan Marquez was an alright win, but he wasn't even in the Top 10 when Nonito beat himand it was an interim title. Montiel was a really good win at 118, he was Top 10 P4P. Still, there were so many other fighters at 118 he didn't fight (Perez, Agbeko, Mares, Moreno, etc). He still has chances to get some of those on his reusme though, so we'll see. And Vazquez Jr was Top 10 at 122 by default I guess. He's never beaten anyone and got TKO'd by Arce in his only step up.

His resume is lacking for being 29 and going through 4 weight classes.

By the time someone like Floyd was entering his 4th weight class, he'd beaten far better fighters. He'd beaten G. Hernandez, Manfredy, Gerena, G. Vargas, Corrales, C. Hernandez, Chavez, Castillo, Corley, Gatti, and Judah. Genaro was the lineal champ at 130, the best SFW in the world. Manfredy was the #1 SFW contender in the world and had just beaten a prime Gatti prior to fighting Floyd. G. Vargas was a Top 10 SFW at the time, was coming off beating Tackie, who would go on to have fights with Tszyu, Mitchell, and Hatton. Corrales was the #1 SFW in the world and #5 P4P, unbeaten. C. Hernandez and Chavez were both Top 10 SFW's and would on to win titles, and fight Morales. Castillo was the lineal champ at 135, coming off beating Bazan and Johnston, would also go on to have more good wins in his career, the best LW of his era. Corley was a Top 10 JWW coming off a close loss to Judah. Gatti was the 2nd best JWW in the world, coming off wins over Leija and Dorin, held the WBC title. And Judah was a Top 10 WW at the time as well, though he was coming off a loss.

When comparing to Donaire to the point he's at his career, to other great fighters, his resume is lacking for the amount of hyope he receives.
            dont forget H. Marquez moved up to fight donaire

Comment

Originally posted by MJ223 View Post
              Whats your thoughts on the rest of the post Cliff???
              I think you make some good points. Donaire isn't fighting utter garbage. It's just there is a.perception of better challenges, frustration with a career that should be more defined by now, and the perception that his team has more control over who he fights than others.

Comment

Working...
              X