No announcement yet.

Someone Explain Cotto's Jabbing Technique to Me

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by purecyse View Post
    Mayweather should want Cotto lunging forward into his right hand. It makes the right hand even stronger and, should Floyd start to load up, could lead to Cotto being stunned early which would shake his confidence.
    You always want someone lunging into your punches but you cant land every punch that way. Cotto is slower and he telegraphs things. 10 out of 10 times that is going to lead Floyd to counter a guy with his right. We see it all the time.

However, if you are lunging with the jab then the punch is getting to the target faster. He's offsetting the speed difference. Floyd might land the right some but there will be times where Cotto will beat him to the punch while he's countering and that jab will end up hurting alot more then a normal jab would in that case.

Mosley, Gatti, JMM were all countered by Floyd with the straight right but they are just throwing a regular jab. If they lunge it with it then its harder for Floyd to counter that with the right. Now, an uppercut or a check hook? Thats money all day. Floyd will no doubt land some straight rights but

I just dont see him landing them on the counter of Cotto's jab. Atleast not early. Maybe later in the fight after Cotto is already discouraged by Floyd's speed so he's throwing timid shots where he's not lunging in anymore

Comment

Cotto has one of the best jabs in boxing today and people dont really give him that much credit for it. He dropped gomez and clottey with jabs. It might give mayweather trouble for the first few rounds but mayweather will adjust and neutralize it before long.

Comment

i think mayweather should throw the jab to the body follow up with some right hands

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
            If I'm Floyd I wouldn't jab with Cotto. Floyd has an excellent jab, don't get me wrong, it's just not his game anymore. I've never seen Cotto get outjabbed....but I've seen him have trouble with leads.

Pacquiao took Cotto's jab away by beating Miguel to the punch with his lead left and countering over the jab with his right hook. When he tried to jab with Cotto he was losing.

Now obviously Floyd's a much better jabber than Pac but he doesn't need the jab to beat Cotto...shoot that straight right and Cotto won't bother jabbing anymore.
            two scenarios I see here with this situation

Cotto will be effective with the jab to the extent that he can do damage and get the correct space for him to work off of it or as you say eventually Floyd will time him with the right and take the jab away. I dont see Floyd jabbing with Cotto at least not consistently and winning that battle but you never know.

The jab for Cotto is a make or break punch that needs to be effective for him to have a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by 915angel View Post
              i think mayweather should throw the jab to the body follow up with some right hands
              This is the tactic I kept thinking about immediately after the fight was signed, even before the fight was signed.

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
                some of that stuff was because of the stance. Pac was a Southpaw. Also, Floyd jabs more and throws less straight rights when he's fighting a righty. He'll throw the jab more then he did with a guy like Ortiz because Cotto's a righty. He'll also throw more left hooks against Cotto
                Good points , Manny was effective countening Cotto's jab because he could fire that left down the center so fast. Also once he had Cotto slowed down a bit he was brave enough to use the right hook as a counter.

initially Cotto will be able to be effective with the jab because Mayweather likes to use that shoulder roll stance with the right hand low. Cotto may even be able to drop Floyd with the jab early. The big question is can Floyd adjust and what will Cotto do if he does? Cotto will have to switch things up to avoid becoming predictable , thats a no no with Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                  This is the tactic I kept thinking about immediately after the fight was signed, even before the fight was signed.
                  Usually that is one of Floyds most effective punches but I dont think at least eary it will work against Cotto. In fact if Floyd gets caught by the left dipping in to try that it could be very bad for him. Now later in the fight good tactic.

Comment

Originally posted by freedom213 View Post
                    Good points , Manny was effective countening Cotto's jab because he could fire that left down the center so fast. Also once he had Cotto slowed down a bit he was brave enough to use the right hook as a counter.

initially Cotto will be able to be effective with the jab because Mayweather likes to use that shoulder roll stance with the right hand low. Cotto may even be able to drop Floyd with the jab early. The big question is can Floyd adjust and what will Cotto do if he does? Cotto will have to switch things up to avoid becoming predictable , thats a no no with Floyd.
                    I could see Floyd coming out with the high guard or a more Offensive/Aggressive stance in this fight

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
                      Absolutely. Floyd's gonna have that jab completely nullified after like 3 rounds when he gets his timing down. Either right over the top of it or like you said, right outside of it with the right hand. Floyd will just take it right away.
                      I doubt it. Cotto is impeccable with his timing, throws it at awkward times, and has good speed on it. If Floyd was southpaw i think he could take it away, but as it is his right hand is too far back to try and counter over the top of cotto's jab. His right hand is a commitment punch, and would open himself up to cotto coming back with a punch.

To be clear, i think floyd will be able to counter it from time to time, but i dont think he is gonna take it away. Especially if cotto brings his right hand to the fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X