No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Juan Manuel Marquez’ Long Overdue Homecoming

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Juan Manuel Marquez’ Long Overdue Homecoming

By Jake Donovan - In the aftermath of his disputed points loss to Manny Pacquiao last November, Juan Manuel Marquez swore that – absence of a fourth fight surfacing any time soon – he was heading back home. Whether or not he’d be heard from ever again is anybody’s guess.

Marquez remains at his Mexico City home to this day, only this time it’s for an actual fight.

It’s been more than 17 years since Marquez (53-6-1, 39KO) has enjoyed a true homecoming appearance. Marquez returned to Mexico in a tune-up bout last summer, though the bout took place in Cancun.

For this first time since 1994, Mexico City will have the honor of playing host to its favorite son. Marquez returns home to face Sergiy Fedchenko at the New Mexico City Arena in the headlining act of a split-site doubleheader. [Click Here To Read More]

Damn imagine if Fredchenko wins via KO right in front of Marquez' fans? That would be down right hilarious. But really I hope Marquez takes this one and then gets his final showdown with his nemesis, Pac. Usually you shouldn't give in to complainers and crybabies, but I guess a lot of people saw the fight being close so they both need closure themselves and apparently so do the fans. Good luck Marquez.

Comment

I though it was going to be in texas

Comment

Originally posted by gapo View Post
        I though it was going to be in texas
        No that was gonna be for the proposed Marquez - Rios showdown, assuming both of them win their fights. @ Cowboys Stadium. Not sure how it would come close to filling out the stadium though.

Comment

Marquez has no plans on fighting Rios. IMO he wants to either fight Pacquiao, Bradley, or Peterson (if he beats Khan again). It seems to me like Marquez feels Rios brings nothing to the table. At 140 Rios will not be a champion while Pacquiao (147), Bradley, and Peterson will... Although Rios vs Marquez would be a great fight, I would love to see Marquez vs Bradley. If Marquez would win that fight, he would be the REAL first Mexican to win four titles in four different weightclasses (unlike Morales who beat 11th rank Cano for the fourth title and Arce who beat god-knows-who for his)!

Comment

The Marquez vs Fedchenko fight might resemble the Marquez vs Katsidis fight,
            I expect Marquez to win the fight in front of his hometown crowd.

Comment

In my opinion, Ríos-Márquez is a smoke screen. Beristain has recently stated in Mexican TV program "Golpe a golpe" that he prefers Mercito Gesta to Brandon Ríos. That may be the most probable option

Comment

I hope he fights Gesta... so I can bet with all my Filipino friends that Gesta loses and make some money.

Comment

Originally posted by Get Hattoned View Post
                  Damn imagine if Fredchenko wins via KO right in front of Marquez' fans? That would be down right hilarious. But really I hope Marquez takes this one and then gets his final showdown with his nemesis, Pac. Usually you shouldn't give in to complainers and crybabies, but I guess a lot of people saw the fight being close so they both need closure themselves and apparently so do the fans. Good luck Marquez.
                  Damn imagine if unicorns really existed?

Comment

Originally posted by afterpunk View Post
                    In my opinion, Ríos-Márquez is a smoke screen. Beristain has recently stated in Mexican TV program "Golpe a golpe" that he prefers Mercito Gesta to Brandon Ríos. That may be the most probable option
                    I agree on the smokescreen part. However, not sure what a Gesta fight would prove.

Marquez said he plans to stay at 140 and above, I'm thinking to stay ready in case a 4th Pacquiao fight rolls around. I don't need to see Gesta move up to 140 - he's not even proven at 135, TBH.

Hopefully Nacho will remember his strength as a trainer and his ineptitude as a manager and let more qualified people plan Marquez' next fight (assuming he wins on Saturday)

Comment

Working...
                    X