Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Floyd retires undefeated having beaten Martinez is he the greatest of the era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
    It's only up for debate amongst Mayweather fans. It's been decided already by those who do the deciding, that Pacquiao is the greatest of this era. The greatest of the previous era was Roy Jones. And if Jones had been in his prime in this era he'd be the one.

Of course an "era" can be stretched or contracted to encompass as many or as few years as suits the purposes of whoever...which is to aggrandize Mayweather over Pacquiao.
    Lmao! How can he already be the greatest while fighters are still active? That's nut huggery at its finest.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoReyes View Post
      A much more fun thread would be "What does Sergio Martinez have to do to be the best of this era?"
      Exactly...

Fighting WW's and guys from they pull from the seats ain't gettin it done.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Jay View Post
        I completely disagree. BHOP hid out at 160 for a decade and didn't even fight the other champions in his division.

Having Trinidad and DelaHoya move up was legacy-defining by any means.

It wasn't until Hopkins stepped up in 2005 that he should get ANY credit.

And truthfully, BHOP's resume from 2005 to present day isn't the greatest of this era.

Not only because he's lost several times, but because he waited until he was so old to start taking chances that losses at this point aren't heavily held against a 45 year old man.

That in itself is bullshit.

In truth, I don't feel as though Hopkins even beat Winky Wright or Pascal the first time. But officially he's lost to Taylor twice and Calzaghe since 2005.

None of his wins since then validate him being considered the best of any era.

Look at BHOP's resume from 1988-2004 and then tell me that resume is the best of an era.

No chance.

And when Dawson puts BHOP away, the point will be even stronger.

Problem with some people is that they wish to give BHOP extraordinary credit for ANY win since 2005, but win he loses they say "Aww come on man ... he's an old dude who is hangin' with these young guys".

If he can take credit at 45, he can lose credit at 45.

Factor EVERYTHING in.
        BHop was promoting himself for awhile and none of the promoters would even deal with him. He was always chasing top fighters, but couldn't get the fights. Everyone used to fall back on the, "his style isn't crowd pleasing and doesn't sell" as a way to duck the hell outta him. He didn't "hide out" anywhere. In like 2000 already Ring had named BHop's middleweight defense streak as one of the 5 (or maybe 10) most impressive accomplishments in boxing history...

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Jay View Post
          I completely disagree. BHOP hid out at 160 for a decade and didn't even fight the other champions in his division.

Having Trinidad and DelaHoya move up was legacy-defining by any means.

It wasn't until Hopkins stepped up in 2005 that he should get ANY credit.

And truthfully, BHOP's resume from 2005 to present day isn't the greatest of this era.

Not only because he's lost several times, but because he waited until he was so old to start taking chances that losses at this point aren't heavily held against a 45 year old man.

That in itself is bullshit.

In truth, I don't feel as though Hopkins even beat Winky Wright or Pascal the first time. But officially he's lost to Taylor twice and Calzaghe since 2005.

None of his wins since then validate him being considered the best of any era.

Look at BHOP's resume from 1988-2004 and then tell me that resume is the best of an era.

No chance.

And when Dawson puts BHOP away, the point will be even stronger.

Problem with some people is that they wish to give BHOP extraordinary credit for ANY win since 2005, but win he loses they say "Aww come on man ... he's an old dude who is hangin' with these young guys".

If he can take credit at 45, he can lose credit at 45.

Factor EVERYTHING in.
          I really don't care what your opinion on the matter is. I know B-Hop beat greater fighters & lost to better fighters than Floyd dreamed of fighting.

Winky beats anyone on Floyd's resume.
          B-Hops Oscar beats Floyd's.
          Tito, nothing else need be said.
          Tarver the man at 175.
          JC a fight that could have gone either way, arguably the best ever at 168 & arguably England's greatest.
          Won a major title at 46.
          20 title defenses at 160.

Like I said IMO he's the greatest active fighter. If Floyd beating a prime Corrales, edging an aging Oscar or manhandling a shot Mosley does it for you, by all means carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
            I really don't care what your opinion on the matter is. I know B-Hop beat greater fighters & lost to better fighters than Floyd dreamed of fighting.

Tarver the man at 175.
            JC a fight that could have gone either way, arguably the best ever at 168 & arguably England's greatest.
            Won a major title at 46.

Like I said IMO he's the greatest active fighter. If Floyd beating a prime Corrales, edging an aging Oscar or manhandling a shot Mosley does it for you, by all means carry on.
            Who did Tito beat at 147???

Quartey??

Lopez??

Brown??

Who did he beat at 154??

Norris??

Nope...he beat 13 fight Reid..and damn near got KO'd in the process....and another ROOKIE...the overrated Vargas..

Tito did more ducking at Welterweight than a shell-shocked soldier in a fox-hole..

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
              Tarver the man at 175.
              Won a major title at 46.
              Bhop was also bigger than 3 of those 5 fighters while Floyd was either as big or smaller than most of his opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysOnTop View Post

Quartey??

Lopez??

Brown??

Who did he beat at 154??

Norris??

Nope...he beat 13 fight Reid..and damn near got KO'd in the process....and another ROOKIE...the overrated Vargas..

Tito did more ducking at Welterweight than a shell-shocked soldier in a fox-hole..
                What is ducking to you and who did duck?

Comment

Originally posted by LeoReyes View Post
                  BHop was promoting himself for awhile and none of the promoters would even deal with him. He was always chasing top fighters, but couldn't get the fights. Everyone used to fall back on the, "his style isn't crowd pleasing and doesn't sell" as a way to duck the hell outta him. He didn't "hide out" anywhere. In like 2000 already Ring had named BHop's middleweight defense streak as one of the 5 (or maybe 10) most impressive accomplishments in boxing history...
                  BHOP broke the defense record by defending one of 4 belts that were in the division. Hardly the same thing that Monzon did.

Was Roy Jones in his prime one of the so-called top fighters who wouldn't fight BHOP?

"60/40 I'll kick your ass"

I remember that well.

He waited for Jones to get old after his HW stint and then and ONLY then was BHOP ready to face him.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman Moreno View Post
                    What is ducking to you and who did duck?
                    Tito was at 147 for SEVEN years before he fought somebody with a damn title..

How is that not ducking?

SEVEN years....!!!

Trinidad stayed in his place at WW...he knew his limitations..

Judging him by the standards placed on Mayweather he was a cringing coward..

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysOnTop View Post

Quartey??

Lopez??

Brown??

Who did he beat at 154??

Norris??

I've been saying this for YEARS. People crap all over Bute for missing out on the Super 6, yet Trinidad is an ATG at 147 but had a good 5 year period where the best at welterweight (Lopez, Rivera, Pea, Page, Quartey, Whitaker, Delahoya) were fighting eachother and he did nothin.

He didn't step up until Oscar cleaned out the division for him (Rivera, Pea, Quartey)

Comment

Working...
                      X