No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sergio Martinez Signs: Says Chavez-Lee is 50-50 Bout

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AHUEVO View Post
    First, Martinez signed already and second, Jr. has already been CAUGHT using PED's, coupled with the latest controversy in Texas (you know how the Texas commission "forgot" to test Jr. after the fight) and Jr. walking into the fight with Rubio 20 lbs. heavier.

How can any boxing fan defend Jr.? It's disgusting how he cheated to get where he is, how he was GIVEN the championship and controversy continues to surface when he fights. Guy is more protected than any other fighter - PERIOD.
    The issue with Junior is diuretics--he got busted using them to lose weight for a fight. He even admitted it to the Nevada commission. Given his terrible weight issues against Rubio, Rubio and many others thought he used them again to make weight in that fight, but texas conveniently forgot to test. When you have a guy that walks around as big as Chavez is and then blows up 20+ lbs by fight night, you have to wonder if he isn't using diuretics still. Fortunately, diuretics would be caught by commission testing--nothing special would need to be done.

To be blunt, however, when a guy has been caught once before or admitted using diuretics or PEDs--like James Toney, Fernando Vargas, Shane Mosley, JCC, Jr--wouldn't you be an idiot not to want to make sure they are clean before you fight them? I think Mayweather's argument re Pacquiao has less of a leg to stand on--he's never been caught or admitted using PEDs. The only evidence against him is speculation. But that being said, I can't understand why any clean fighter would object to it on principle. Sure you might object as a negotiating ploy to win concessions, but testing should never blow up a potential deal.

Comment

Originally posted by hillbilly View Post
      The issue with Junior is diuretics--he got busted using them to lose weight for a fight. He even admitted it to the Nevada commission. Given his terrible weight issues against Rubio, Rubio and many others thought he used them again to make weight in that fight, but texas conveniently forgot to test. When you have a guy that walks around as big as Chavez is and then blows up 20+ lbs by fight night, you have to wonder if he isn't using diuretics still. Fortunately, diuretics would be caught by commission testing--nothing special would need to be done.

To be blunt, however, when a guy has been caught once before or admitted using diuretics or PEDs--like James Toney, Fernando Vargas, Shane Mosley, JCC, Jr--wouldn't you be an idiot not to want to make sure they are clean before you fight them? I think Mayweather's argument re Pacquiao has less of a leg to stand on--he's never been caught or admitted using PEDs. The only evidence against him is speculation. But that being said, I can't understand why any clean fighter would object to it on principle. Sure you might object as a negotiating ploy to win concessions, but testing should never blow up a potential deal.

Exactly. Especially when it comes from what is widely considered the best fighter, and the biggest draw.

That's besides the point, though. Jcc Jr's behavior and what they just let him get away with is as shady as can be, but not surprising. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again, AND Chavez Jr wins a flat out robbery of a decision..we all know nobody is going to beat him in a decision. You know it's sad when you can confidently say that.

Comment

Wonder how many times Martinez has to be screwed over by Suliman before he wakes up and smells the tacos.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
          It's on....Sergio signed the contract fast as heck...let's see how long it takes for Chavez to sign it.
          I wouldn't be surprised if Bob doesn't allow to happen....

Comment

Until Jr steps in the ring against Martinez I will never believe this fight is actually going to happen.

Comment

I have no beef with Martinez. But the weight thing is just pure crap. Why Di Bella and company say "We just want a big pay" He's willing to drop down in weight to face the smaller Mayweather or Pac, but refuses to put on a few pounds to fight at the super middleweight division? Andre Ward doesn't come into the ring no where 180. All Sergio has to do is put on like one or two pounds and boom...he's a super middleweight. If he does fight Money May, he's going to outweigh Money by 20 pounds. Even if the fight took place at 154. Chavez jr came into the ring a cruiser weight against Rubio. And this would be a pay per view card as well. Unless Lee wins Martinez will continue to beg for fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit29 View Post
                I have no beef with Martinez. But the weight thing is just pure crap. Why Di Bella and company say "We just want a big pay" He's willing to drop down in weight to face the smaller Mayweather or Pac, but refuses to put on a few pounds to fight at the super middleweight division? Andre Ward doesn't come into the ring no where 180. All Sergio has to do is put on like one or two pounds and boom...he's a super middleweight. If he does fight Money May, he's going to outweigh Money by 20 pounds. Even if the fight took place at 154. Chavez jr came into the ring a cruiser weight against Rubio. And this would be a pay per view card as well. Unless Lee wins Martinez will continue to beg for fights.
                Uh... For some people such as myself it's easier to lose weight than put it on. Sergio can barely make 160. Then if he fights a SMW at a catch weight and beats them he's gonna get criticized like Pacquiao for "draining" his opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by marco08 View Post
                  So let me get this straight.,... If lee wins, we're supposed to see an Irishman and an Argentinean on Sept 16th weekend?
                  Why not? We're already going to see Cotto against Floyd on Cinco de Mayo and neither of those guys are Mexican.

I know it's been posted before but the odds are against Lee big time. The fight is in Texas so Lee can't depend on the ref or the judges.

Someone should just tell Lee:"Dude, you're pretty much ****ed."
                  Last edited by Sheppirino; 04-05-2012, 10:51 AM.

Comment

We all know Martinez is hoping and praying Chavez Jr wins because if Lee wins no big money no HBO PPV

Comment

See, I told you so: JR is going to beat the living hell out of Lee and after that, he's going to retire Sergio.

How about an apology from all the morons and a-holes who constantly write:

"This fight will never happen blah blah blah..."

You people don't know anything about boxing.

Comment

Working...
                      X