Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Margarito - Cotto II, bad/early stoppage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
    Dude Margo was doing the taunting. Cotto almost never changes his expression on a fight.
    Never mind, you worded it weirdly. You made it sound as if Cotto was taunting Margarito

Comment

it was a pity win for Cotto as soon as news broke that there was an extra DR at ring side everybody knew who was going to win that fight. when vegas gambers got word of the news bettings odds change . in other words you have to be really stupid not to beable to guess how the fight would end

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post
        Never mind, you worded it weirdly. You made it sound as if Cotto was taunting Margarito
        The wording was a lil off.

We can agree to dis agree without calling each other names

Comment

Let this topic die already. Margarita was gettin his azz whooped in every round. To say the cheater was starting to make a comeback is idiotic. IF margarita won the last 2 or 3 rounds before the fight was stopped then I would agree that he could have possibly did something if the the fight continued, but since Miguel won those rounds in which the 9th was one of his better rounds then the arguement that margarita was 'turning things around' isnt vallied IMO and doesnt make any sense. Let it go already.

Comment

Cotto was winning that fight from the beginning, and still would have won if they didn't stop the fight. Even a wounded margo can throw volume. But look at the punchstats.

Cotto was outlanding him (jabs included) in the 9th round by 50% to Margo's 26%. And it takes more energy to swing and miss than to swing and hit. In the 8th, Tony was practically swinging at air, landing at a pathetic 16% to Cotto's 43%, Cotto landing twice as much. The 7th was similar, Cotto-50%, Margo23%.

That's not even mentioning Cotto's powerful jab, 31% to Margo's 8%. 8%!!!! Lol.

In the 8th round, Cotto landed 18 power punches, in the 9th, he landed more, 23. Overall, he landed 43% in the 8th, and more, 50% in the 9th. Yeah, of course Cotto was getting a little tired in the last rounds. He was busy beating the dog**** out of Margo.

He would have won that fight that night if Margo's eye wasn't damaged. He had an excellent trainer, a great game plan and avoided getting trapped, like he did last time, getting caught with uppercuts early in their 1st fight.

Cotto fought a great game plan, stuck to it and was even pressuring Margo back. Persoanlly, i love the way the fight ended. Even though Cotto looked disappointed when they stopped it, (i was too), it left doubt in Margo's foolish pride thinking he could have won that fight if he was allowed to continue.

Now he has that to ponder the rest of his life. Cotto's victory couldn't have been sweeter, unless he ktfo, but i really didn't see him able to do that. The most he was going to get was the UD, that he did get. Tony was still a tuff fight stylewise for Cotto.

We all know now that Cotto has trouble with bigger, pressure fighters, but it looks like he might have found the blueprint on how to deal with pressure, volume throwers. He fought a great fight, and nobody can take that away from him.

So i post the punchstats....argue with this. http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/vi...match-compubox

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
              Except against Mosely, Pacquiao and Tony in the first fight, right?
              Mosley was the typical take a couple rounds off, come back strong the 11th and 12th to win the fight. The pacquiao fight wasnt an issue of stamina, just bad gameplanning/pac being too much.

With margarito he did run out of gas, but mainly from it being plastered out of him, him constantly moving and constant pressure from a much bigger man. Did i mention plaster yet?

Lettuce b real, margarito is 1-3 since his plaster was taken from him, his only win being against a nobody and 3 beatdowns. Im not saying he isnt dangerous, or cant punch hard, but his offensive attack was pretty much rendered useless against cotto, nothing like the first fight. He wasnt able to get extension, no uppercuts or body work, etc. There is nothing to suggest he was gonna beat cotto down in the last 3 rounds.

Im not saying he wasnt tired, or cant get tired, anybody can/will get tired if you've been in a fight for 12 rounds, but its fairly audacious for you to suggest he couldnt close the show. He's made a career out of closing the show. And with this fight, above all, he was a man on a mission.

Comment

call me crazy, but why do i get the stinky feeling that this is another dig at floyd--another roadblock to taint his legacy---subliminals even exist in boxingscene.com/forums-lol

Comment

Not to mention, at anytime, was Cotto in any danger during the fight. There were a couple difficult moments for him, but he nullified that effectivelly. His face easily bruises up now because of the beatings he took from their first fight and the Pac fight.

His chin is still ok.
                  Last edited by jazluvr; 03-24-2012, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X