Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any one noticed how Lampley put Merchant in his place several times for hating on SM?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
    Could be taken as a slight on Sergio i.e he'll never be as good as Jones. It just depends how you look at it. Too many people hear what they wanna hear and get butthurt when its a fighter they like getting criticised.

Im a Sergio fan but it sounds like Merchant was spot on with his analysis. He WAS just throwing one left-hand at a time in the early stages of that fight and he was getting countered by a mediocre fighter like Macklin.

Why is it wrong for Merchant to call it like it is? You guys want him to constantly suck dick like Max Kellerman?
    I do think some of his analysis was right, but if you're going to point out flaws in one guy, then do it to the other. The rounds were Macklin was getting his ass handed to him, I never heard Merchant even talk. It was all praise Macklin, diss Sergio. Sergio wasn't fighting great in the early going, but it wasn't like Macklin was dominating either. Each guy did some good things, and Merchant didn't mention anything for Sergio. Just what I got from watching it and I usually like Merchant's commentating.

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
      I do think some of his analysis was right, but if you're going to point out flaws in one guy, then do it to the other. The rounds were Macklin was getting his ass handed to him, I never heard Merchant even talk. It was all praise Macklin, diss Sergio. Sergio wasn't fighting great in the early going, but it wasn't like Macklin was dominating either. Each guy did some good things, and Merchant didn't mention anything for Sergio. Just what I got from watching it and I usually like Merchant's commentating.
      Because Macklin isn't the one being showcased. It was Sergio's decision to fight such a lacklustre opponent and thus he is under more scrutiny to perform.

Comment

Merchant is simply sick of ultra-defensive fighters. They are like boring chess players who only wait for blunders. They don't make things happen by themselves. Then they complain of very low attendance.

Macklin executed the right game plan which is to stay in one spot, let Sergio come in, and do the countering. That's how you fight counterpunchers. Insist on playing the role and not the other way around. Sergio wanting to make an impression and now mindful of what the audience wants was forced to engage at his own peril.

See how difficult it is to be in the offensive stance?

Comment

Originally posted by rayb112 View Post
          I agree with RJJ but Mike Tyson....Haahhhaaaa!...ROFL!...That would be funny as hell to hear Tyson commentating a fight...Tyson: It's lud-a-chris...
          Mike Tyson has commentated on fights before. I remember him commentating in Hopkins vs Mercado II, he knows his ****.

Comment

I dont really tune in to HBO often as I dont live in the states but the commentary on this one was incredibly biased. They wanted to make it seem like it was an even fight and at one point as though Sergio was losing, when he was in total control for most of the fight and landing all of the clean shots.

Comment

After Dirk Diggler Uk went on and on about the matchup not being competitive before the fight, it turns out it was! What does he do after getting a good fight? He complains some more!

Every time he posts it's like Debbie Downer got an account on boxingscene.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                Because Macklin isn't the one being showcased. It was Sergio's decision to fight such a lacklustre opponent and thus he is under more scrutiny to perform.
                I guess some people viewed Mackin as lackluster, but what other MW was he supposed to fight that was better? Also, I get he started slow, but Merchant was on him from the beginning of the 2nd. We don't get feel out rounds anymore? He seemed to be adjusting to Macklin's decision to lay back and counter, realized he was down on the cards from the KD, and completely dominated Macklin in the last four rounds. I just feel it was too one sided commentary. Picked him for everything he did wrong, no praise for what he right.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                  After Dirk Diggler Uk went on and on about the matchup not being competitive before the fight, it turns out it was! What does he do after getting a good fight? He complains some more!

Every time he posts it's like Debbie Downer got an account on boxingscene.

The match-up on paper was not competitive because Macklin is a mediocre fighter. The fight ended up being competitive and that's on Sergio for a poor performance in the first half of the fight.

Just because it ended up being a competitive fight doesn't suddenly make Macklin a great opponent.

Stop it.

Comment

Originally posted by EveryDayDrew View Post
                    HBO really needs to think about giving Merchant a new role...office greeter or something...

If a broadcaster is telling the viewer that the fight is **** and not to invest in certain fighters why will the viewer stick around? How does that help the sport?
                    It's called keeping it real. You'd rather have cheerleaders instead of honest commentators who speak their mind?

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
                    LM: I recall watching RJJ throw 8 punch combinations in this style.

JL: We're not watching RJJ.

He did enough to keep Merchant quiet for awhile, which was nice.
                    Actually Lampley is the one who got owned because he said fighters who keep their hands down can't throw combinations because they need to get out of the way quickly and Larry proved him wrong with the Roy example.

Comment

HBO: The home of turning perfectly decent fights and performances, into the worse fights of all time with their commentary. Casuals come in interested and leave never to watch boxing again.

Congrats HBO.

Comment

Working...
                      X