No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: McGirt: Patience, Pressure, Defense Beats Sergio Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thickear View Post
    Patience, Pressure, Defense beats Sergio Martinez? Well, that would rule out Macklin who has no patience and next to no defense.
    That is what I'm thinking. Oh God I hope he doesn't try to emulate Darren Barker's gameplan. People want to see a battle this Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
      Who the fuk mentioned Roach?
      I did. Is that an problem for you?

I used Roach as a comparison. McGirt breathed new life into Gatti and Tarver.

I simply showed that today's celebrated trainer hasn't really done a thing to change or really enhance his top fighters .. evidenced by Pacquiao's same exact approach against JMM and Khan's total lack of defense.

Some may have forgotten the role that McGirt played in getting his fighters back on track and in their winning ways.

Maintaining what is already on top < Rebuilding what was written off.

Comment

Originally posted by Ko King 212 View Post
        I'll take McGirt over roach. Roach is garbage. And HW is even worst during fights.
        Who is HW?

Comment

Originally posted by Larryx2011 View Post
          this is how the fight will end

Mcgirt holding Mackins head "Im stopping it baby i love you too much"
          LOL...this happens like 90% of the time

Comment

Eh, I think Mathew has a legit chance in this fight.

I think Martinez will win, but I think he has a legit shot at taking it.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
              LOL...this happens like 90% of the time
              McGirt knows what his fighters are capable of doing in the ring and why not stop it if its something he know they can't overcome. Never heard one of his fighter complain about him stopping it..

Comment

Originally posted by sirron000 View Post
                McGirt knows what his fighters are capable of doing in the ring and why not stop it if its something he know they can't overcome. Never heard one of his fighter complain about him stopping it..

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                  McGirt is a curse. When was the last time he was actually in the winning corner?
                  I don't think McGirt is a curse he actually gives great advice in the corner between rounds. Its just that his fighters can't execute because they are in against fighters that are better than they are.

Comment

mcgirt is garbage, his win over rjj was overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Cab Driver View Post
                      mcgirt is garbage, his win over rjj was overrated.
                      The win over RJJ was overrated because Jones was shot after losing 26lbs of muscle in 6 weeks coming down from HW.

But that wasn't the point.

McGirt took Tarver, who was at the time written off and contemplating quitting, and built the guy back up. He not only got Tarver focused which was a feat within itself, but he refined Tarver's approach to boxing.

Like McGirt said, patience and pressure. Most guys want to bang and land home run hits. McGirt changed their approach by making them pick their spots instead of always forcing the action. He made them patient. He had his guys making their opponents paying for mistakes.

He did the same for Gatti.

McGirt and Ronnie Shields are two of the best trainers out there today. Roach has gotten a lot of press for Pacquiao, but hype has never been the measure of how good a trainer is.

I like to see the changes a trainer brings out in his fighters. I can't say that I see any difference in the way Manny Pacquiao fights under Roach. He's the same fighter with much more stamina than in his early days.

Same with Nazim Richardson. At least Richardson admits that he isn't changing BHOP or Mosley. He just maintains what they do and comes up with gameplans.

McGirt and Shields actually revamp fighters. You can detect what has been worked on and changed/tweeked.

But a few of you neglect to keep in mind that a trainer can only do so much. The fighter has to believe in his training and his gameplan. Otherwise, like Tyson said "Everyone has a plan until they get hit". Then they go back to what they were doing before.

Case in point: Ricky Hatton.

Hatton worked on defense and a new approach for months. As soon as he got in the ring, he started throwing hail mary haymakers. He did everything BUT what he had trained to do. Hatton wasn't even listening to his corner between rounds.

Trainers are not magicians. They can teach all they want, but if their student doesn't adhere to the training, adapt the gameplan as the match goes on and listen to their corner, the trainer's input is worth ZERO.

Comment

Working...
                      X