Dereck Chisora has his Boxing licence withdrawn by British Boxing Board of Control
Dereck Chisora has had his licence withdrawn by the British Boxing Board of Control following his clash with David Haye in Munich, according to promoter Frank Warren.
Dereck Chisora has had his boxing licence withdrawn by the British Boxing Board of Control [BBBofC] for his actions before and after his defeat by Vitali Klitschko in Munich.
Chisora slapped Vitali at the weigh-in, spat water at Wladimir Klitschko before the bout and brawled with David Haye after the fight.
"Dereck Chisora is not a fit and proper person to hold a licence," said BBBofC secretary Robert Smith.
"It has been withdrawn immediately."
Chisora's promoter Frank Warren said: "Now we'll consider whether to appeal the decision."
Zimbabwe-born Chisora, 28, who lost his WBC heavyweight title bout on points, was called before the BBBofC in Cardiff on Wednesday.
In a statement, Smith also said: "The British Boxing Board of Control deplore what occurred at the weigh-in, in the ring before the contest commenced and at the post contest press conference [when the brawl with Haye occurred].
"Such behaviour brought the sport of boxing, the British Boxing Board of Control and all licence holders into disrepute.
"Dereck Chisora, on his own admission, did not behave in a manner consistent with that of a professional boxer and let down, not only himself and his family, but, also, all those licence holders who behave in a professional manner."
Chisora has 14 days to appeal against the decision but the lack of timescale on the ban means it is unclear whether he will be kept out of the ring short-term or banned for life.
He had already been suspended indefinitely by the World Boxing Council.
Former world heavyweight champion Haye, who announced his retirement in October, does not currently hold a licence and so can not be punished by the BBBofC.
However, in November it was reported that Haye was in talks to come of retirement to fight Vitali Klitschko, and the BBBofC said his part in the brawl will be taken into account, should he wish to apply to regain his licence.
"He is not a licence holder of the British Boxing Board of Control who consequently have no jurisdiction over him," said Smith.
"However, if he should apply for a licence with the British Boxing Board of Control the part he played in the disgraceful scenes that occurred in the post contest press conference will be considered and taken into account by the stewards before any decision is made."
Comment