Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mikey Garcia's nothing special.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From my first impression, Garcia is a 24-year old with very solid fundamentals and a methodical pace. Sure, he isn't FAST or POWERFUL, but I think he'll be around for a lot longer than some of his contemporaries cuz he's fundamentally sound, he doesn't depend on his attributes cuz he actually has skills. However, he needs to throw to the body a bit more, cuz when he did throw there, he was doin damage.

Comment

He's pretty solid, takes his time, doesn't make alot of mistakes, except he could go to the body a bit more... I think he beats salido, Salido throws too wide, Mikey will hurt him.

Against a quick footed/fisted fighter who's elusive Mikey will have a difficult time and lose to the best of them, they will keep him turning all night setting up but never throwing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman18 View Post
        He has decent power and a good jab. Other than that,

Almost no body punching, no use of angles, didn't counter-punch consistently, no head movement, didn't really ever step on the gas, no uppercuts, and no combination punching. A bunch of 1-2's. He has ALOT of work to do. I believe he has the potential to become a great solid fighter, but right now he is very green.
        I blelieve this is because he hasn't been pushed to do more. He is very young, and I think he doesn't do a whole lot more than he's comfortable with or has to at this moment. He strikes me as a "The Knockout will come" type guy, and not a "go for the kill" type guy. More Klitschko less Tyson.

Comment

Garcia is a solid fighter, will lose to the best around his weight probably. If I had to predict his career, he'll probably win a couple titles in a couple weight classes, but lose to the elite. I don't see him beating Gamboa, Donaire, Rigondeaux, Broner, at all. He seems almost too basic at times.

With that said, I think he can beat Salido, they should make that fight. Garcia looks to have a solid D, something Lopez can't seem to get the grasp of, and that will help him with the offensive explosive Salido. I think Garcia can beat Salido on points, but Salido will push Mikey to fight like hell, you can bet on that.

I hope we see Salido, Garcia, and Caballero mix it up.

Comment

His boxing skills would bother Salido, but Salido's ridicioulous heart and stamina are like nothing Garcia has had to deal with before.

Comment

[QUOTE=kiaba360;11876288]From my first impression, Garcia is a 24-year old with very solid fundamentals and a methodical pace. Sure, he isn't FAST or POWERFUL, but I think he'll be around for a lot longer than some of his contemporaries cuz he's fundamentally sound, he doesn't depend on his attributes cuz he actually has skills. However, he needs to throw to the body a bit more, cuz when he did throw there, he was doin damage.[/QUOTE]

This will be key when he starts finding faster guys who can also bang a bit.

Comment

Mikey certainly isn't the most flashy or entertaining fighter out there, I also agree he could use the body shot a lot more, but I do believe that he is going to become a force to be reckon with. The kid is 24 and fights like he's been in the game for at least 34 years or so... he is so patient and methodical, his accuracy is undeniable and his jab is like a freakin power punch. just watch, in a couple years he'll be all over the place, just watch.

Comment

He's got solid punches.

Comment

Mikey was great... maybe too much that some people got bored of him effortlessly controlling the fight. That is special.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman18 View Post
                      He has decent power and a good jab. Other than that,

Almost no body punching, no use of angles, didn't counter-punch consistently, no head movement, didn't really ever step on the gas, no uppercuts, and no combination punching. A bunch of 1-2's. He has ALOT of work to do. I believe he has the potential to become a great solid fighter, but right now he is very green.
                      Thank you! He also have a hard time making 126. Guys like Gamboa and Broner at 130 would make Mikey look bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X