No announcement yet.

The Gamboa Rios situation is HBO and Top Ranks fault

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
    Most of the posters here have little knowledge of boxing so they certainly won't have any knowledge of contract law.

In the United States a verbal agreement between 2 parties is a legally binding agreement, especially if there are witnesses this is very easy to establish in a court of law.

Gamboa might be able to weasel out of it on the basis that he was too drunk to understand what he did, but I don't think that was the case.

Ultimately this is Gamboa's fault 100%. The guy bolted from Cuba and got in bed with Oner one of the most dishonest crooks in the game, then paired Oner and Arum together which is the reason he has gotten belts and recognition without taking tough fights.

Now after these promoters have gotten him to the top of the sport without risk or tough fights, he wants to renegotiate his terms. It doesn't work that way.

No it ain't man. I work in sales and people promise you contracts all the time and then roll in another direction, it's par for the course until a real, paper document comes across my desk. Under some situations a verbal agreement holds water but not in most cases.

Comment

there are a lot fights that are not signed before the first press conference.
      they agree with terms already ... gamboa was wrong

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
        it's not fair to call him a coward either. Clearly the problem he has is with the contract(s) from Oner and/or Top Rank. Which is fine, he shouldn't sign anything he doesn't want to. But at the same time he went about things in a totally unprofessional manner, and that's the problem.
        This is probably the single most succinct, rational statement I have read in regards to this fiasco, yet. Bravo, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by russian crushin View Post
          not to mention that gamboa requested that a presser was held in his hometown of miami
          smh

Originally posted by Иatas206 View Post
          with the mayor of miami there
          smfh!

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
            Most of the posters here have little knowledge of boxing so they certainly won't have any knowledge of contract law.

In the United States a verbal agreement between 2 parties is a legally binding agreement, especially if there are witnesses this is very easy to establish in a court of law.
            Originally posted by mathed View Post
            No it ain't man. I work in sales and people promise you contracts all the time and then roll in another direction, it's par for the course until a real, paper document comes across my desk. Under some situations a verbal agreement holds water but not in most cases.
            Originally posted by heat27 View Post
            there are a lot fights that are not signed before the first press conference.
            they agree with terms already ... gamboa was wrong
            In the United States -- depending on whether we're talking about criminal, civil, real estate (etc.) law -- what's on the books varies from state to state. Yes, there are federal laws that everyone must observe, but I seriously doubt that anyone on this site knows exactly what laws apply to this particular situation.

It's reasonable to assume that Top Rank has boxing agreements down to a science. (I suppose that's why most people here assume Gamboa's wrong.) But people do make mistakes, and there are precedents. That's what case law is all about. It appears that either Yuriorkis's current counsel disagrees with the validity of their client's agreement, or Gamboa is disregarding legal counsel altogether.

Until this matter is resolved, we won't know for sure exactly what's going on. I'm going to go out on a limb here: I think that, from now on, boxers will have to sign contracts before fight promotion gets rolling.

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
              Mayweather-Cotto didn't have sign contracts before they started promotion.

It happens all the time NOT ONLY IN BOXING...but in life. Signed contracts are not the only way to enter into legally binding obligations.

So that is LITERALLY a dumb thing to say.
              Yes, they are! Verbal agreements are not binding and the law says all legal, signed contracts can be cancelled within 72 hours! In this case, there was no contract signed, so it is a moot point. If there was a legally binding agreement, Top Rank would have either filed a lawsuit or would be threating to file a lawsuit by now!

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
                Try purchasing an app on your iphone and then afterwards going "But I didn't sign a contract MR Ghost of Steve Jobs wahhhhhhh wahhhh I didn't sign a contract wahhhhh wahhhhh"
                The difference between your ridiculous scenario and the Gamboa fight is that Gamboa isn't buying anything and didn't give anyone his credit card number. If you buy something on Ebay, you still have the option of cancelling the agreement within 72 hours. If they refuse to return your money, you can either call your credit card company and have the payment rescinded or file a lawsuit, either in small claims court or a civil court.

Comment

Originally posted by da_beast View Post
                  pmsl a Rios fan calling Gamboa a coward??? GTFOH... Gamboa had to take the decision to leave his family behind for his career..., That takes more balls than i have or anyone i know has.. A coward is someone boiling down and killing themselves so they can bully smaller guys...

Just wait till rios starts at jww... He wont be able to bully as much and when he comes up against someone he cant walk through that has decent fundementals he will get ****ed...

There is no honour in blocking punches with your face.. I wouldnt dare call him a bum as he is/was a champion and that i have to respect...

His boxing abilities are limited... He is a ****ing coward calling out a fighter 2 weights below him,,,,

wrong. It was gamboa who repeatedly called out rios.

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
                    Yes, they are! Verbal agreements are not binding and the law says all legal, signed contracts can be cancelled within 72 hours! In this case, there was no contract signed, so it is a moot point. If there was a legally binding agreement, Top Rank would have either filed a lawsuit or would be threating to file a lawsuit by now!
                    U don't know nothing was signed though. Like The Ring ****zine stated often times fighters sign an agreement in principal, with all the details to be worked out later. Its possible Gamboa signed something like that, only for him to pull out later. That may or may not be legally binding depending on the details of said agreement. We just don't know all the facts right now.

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
                      business 101- business contract

A contract is an agreement entered into voluntarily by two parties or more with the intention of creating a legal obligation, which may have elements in writing. Contracts can be made orally.

Comment

Working...
                      X