Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Todd DuBoef: A bonus of $100,000 will be awarded to the winner of Rios-Gamboa.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Check View Post
    For once I'm siding with Top Rank. Gamboa signed the contract. TR shouldn't have to put any more cash up for the event.
    No he didn't. If you have read the news, the press conferences were going on without Gamboa even signing anything, because he was unhappy with the contract or something.

I don't know, maybe now he signed it. I don't know how $100k more changed his mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
      This entire situation can get caught up in litigation. Gamboa's team agreed in principle to fight Rios.

Top Rank will make Gamboa pay dearly for pulling out of this fight.

Chris Mannix ‏ @ChrisMannixSI Close
      Hope Gamboa knows what he is doing. Industry sources believe litigation from TR could keep him sidelined for a year, if not longer.
      its possible his team did agree, but there are many different ways to look at exactly what happened. either way, if gamboa wasnt prepared for the legal battle, i dont think he would have done this, he has a lawyer, trust me, his lawyer knows exactly what hes about to do. so yea, gamboa would be sidelining himself, which is his perogative i guess.

and as far as the rios fight, i dunno whats up with that. i do know there is no need for a signed contract. but with that said, if oner was acting without the will of gamboa, then that typicallly voids the contract as well. it really depends on what exactly happened and how it happened someting none of us on this site are in a position to validly asses. but its not as cut and dry as gamboa agreeing to certain terms, because he clearly says he didnt.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        No he didn't. If you have read the news, the press conferences were going on without Gamboa even signing anything, because he was unhappy with the contract or something.

I don't know, maybe now he signed it. I don't know how $100k more changed his mind.
        Its not even 100k for him its to the winner. I still dont see a money complaint but maybe it is.

Comment

Just one day, and a extra 100k is now already available? Gamboa can get even more out of this. Just proved his point.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
            This entire situation can get caught up in litigation. Gamboa's team agreed in principle to fight Rios.

Top Rank will make Gamboa pay dearly for pulling out of this fight.

Chris Mannix ‏ @ChrisMannixSI Close
            Hope Gamboa knows what he is doing. Industry sources believe litigation from TR could keep him sidelined for a year, if not longer.
            He probably got his wife to become his manager and advise him to pull this crap

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
              For once I'm siding with Top Rank. Gamboa signed the contract. TR shouldn't have to put any more cash up for the event.
              Oh really? I didn't know you were present when Gamboa signed the supposed contract..

Comment

Do they have signatures? From Both Fighters?

I hope this fight happens!

Comment

Fans need to stick up for fighters more, and this is another case whereby we should be doing that. I'm tired of the likes of Top Rank blackmailing fighters. Tired of crooked promoters, managers, fighters getting robbed, illegal drugs... etc... and you know where it all starts, behind the scenes. And all the time it's the fighters that foot the blame. When people are too oblivious to see, it's those fat men behind the scenes making boxers - the people we love, and pay to see - look bad.

Gamboa is a victim of Top Rank and Ahmet Oner trying to con him into a deal which he isn't comfortable with and boxing fans fail to see. Because yes understandably they're annoyed a potential great fight won't take place. But if you just take your heads out your asses for one second, put yourself in Gamboa's position, you'd be doing the same because of being put on one big slave contract.

Examples - why did Donaire try to leave? Look what happened. What about when Pacquaio tried to get Visionquest to look at his finances? What happened there. Bob Arum still owes Mayweather money! Crooked people behind the scenes making fighters look bad. And most of y'all are directing your anger at the wrong people.

Ask yourself this - Why hasn't Top Rank got in touch with Gamboa's people and lawyers since the 1st press conference? Because they obviously don't want to negotiate a new contract. What they do instead is go to a big sports writer. Tell them that they'll award the winner this sum of money. Which is nothing to them as it's one off. That news spreads to all boxing fans and they're sucked into believing that Top Rank are on their side when they're not. All they want to do is keep Gamboa on a slave contract.

I remember Andre Ward piping up and saying that boxers need a union to look after their rights. And he's so true when you look at scenarios like this. Fighters are getting owned by people behind the scenes from left to right.

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
                    Its not even 100k for him its to the winner. I still dont see a money complaint but maybe it is.
                    It has to be. For the risk he's taking, he probably feels he should get more money, or else it's not worth at all. I can understand him.

Pac-DLH was dead for a while, cause Pacquiao wanted more money for the risk of going up to 147. Nobody called Pac a pussy, but because of Gamboa's association with Mayweather, people are calling him names, when he actually has every right to ask for more money, and has no business fighting The Ring #1 ranked 135 pounder. What he shoulda just done is take a stay busy fight, and then if Lopez beat Salido, he fights Lopez[not Salido since he already beat him]. I don't think he's scared if he's the one who asked for the fight. I think that because of the risk and going up to a more lucrative weight class, he thought he would be getting more money than he's being offered. But now he sees the contract and what he's getting, and he doesn't feel the risk is worth the reward.

It's either that or like people are saying, he's unhappy with the contract extension. This is what happened with Bradley and Shaw. Khan was offering a fight to Bradley under Shaw, but in order for the fight to happen, Bradley had to sign a contract extension with Shaw, which would leave him out of the Pacquiao sweepstakes[Oh look who he's fighting next]. And if he stayed with Shaw, then he'd have fought Khan but had to stay with Shaw, and a Khan fight is not possible now because of the TR vs GBP feud. But anyways, Gamboa probably wants the Rios fight, but also doesn't want to be tied down to a long term contract with TR.

I don't know what's going on honestly. I'm just speculating, putting the pieces of the puzzles together. But I think it's one of those two things.

Comment

Boxing fans are so whack though. They are quick to come up with names for fighters, because they don't understand that this sport is mostly business. The reasons why fights fall through is 95% business.

Comment

Working...
                      X