Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jaro upsets Wonjongkam, wins RING flyweight title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow..congratz for jaro...i heard pon want immediate rematch.......

Comment

Originally posted by oaklandstephen View Post
      Huge underdog Sony Boy Jaro, a Filipino veteran that many regarded as a journeyman, upset Pongsaklek Wongjongkam with a shocking sixth-round stoppage in the reigning RING/WBC flyweight champ's native Thailand on Friday.

Jaro (34-10-5, 24 knockouts), just 22 days away from his 30th birthday, reportedly dropped Wonjongkam in the first, third and sixth rounds. The former two-time 108-pound title challenger lacked the technique of the 34-year-old defending champion, but he made up for his raw form with relentless aggression and punching power.

The victory makes Jaro the third lineal flyweight champ from the Phillipines after Malcom Tunacoa and Manny Pacquiao.Wonjongkam (83-4-2, 44 KOs), a legend in Thailand, was attempting to make the fifth defense of the WBC title he won by outpointing then-undefeated Koki Kameda in Japan in March of 2010. The veteran southpaw, who turned pro in 1997, made 17 defenses of the WBC belt during his first reign.

Got this off the ring website.
      he's not the 3rd pinoy lineal flyweight champion, he is the 7th ..guilledo aka pancho villa, dado,montano and marino...

Comment

Jaro should duck any top opposition and fight bums for the rest of his career

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
          I cant believe people actually had this guy in the P4P in the first place. Probably just to sound cool
          I'm guessing that means you have never seen him or followed his career at all then? He was well and truly deserving of his place in the P4P ranks. Should have been in there long before now too.

Comment

I figured Wonjongkam was going to lose sooner or later despite some recent wins showing he still might have a decent amount left in the tank, he's just so old old for his weight class and has a lot of mileage.

I just didn't expect it to be against Jaro.
            Last edited by Shadows; 03-02-2012, 08:21 AM.

Comment

HOLY *****!
              NO FUKING WAY!
              I played this dude off because of his journeyman status... but this ***** is crazy!
              FILIPINO!!!!

Comment

I read that the winner of this fight had been mandated to face Toshiyuki Igarashi (15-1-1) of Japan, so I guess there won't be an immediate rematch. I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese dude takes the title.

Comment

So I guess this is the end of Wongjongkam.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadows View Post
                    I figured Wonjongkam was going to lose sooner or later despite some recent wins showing he still might have a decent amount left in the tank, he's just so old old for his weight class and has a lot of mileage.

I just didn't expect it to be against Jaro.

If im not mistaken, jaro called his shot. Did u see the fight?

Comment

Maybe he received good advice from Manny on how to enhance his performance late in his career. J/k.

Well if you think how long Pong´s been around it was going to happen eventually. He´s more or less than Hopkins of the lower weights in terms of age and longevity.

Comment

Working...
                      X