Comments Thread For: Floyd Mayweather Jr. Continues To Enjoy Royal Treatment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rapid Counter View Post
    Let me help you out.

The negative = Mayweather is fighting Cotto. (Cotto, who was Pacquiao's first choice opponent if he was willing to drain down, AGAIN) A bad stylistic match up for Cotto.

"this time in a fight that from a styles perspective figures to be less competitive than Pacquiao’s June 9 showdown with Tim Bradley Jr."

Turning the negative into the positive = "The chief selling point in getting Cotto to agree to terms was in making the opportunity as attractive as possible. This was lost on Pacquiao, who sought a rematch but only if it took place below 150 lb., far below where Cotto has campaigned for his past three fights in growing quite accustomed to the 154 lb. limit." The writer was being generous here because Pac said he wouldn't fight Cotto above 147, well below 150

Turning a negative into a positive = That's how it translates into a gain
    Well that's one way of looking at it. I was seeing it from thr article's.slant towards lauding Mayweather, and ignored Mayweather's comment about wanting to fight Cotto at his best weight as just his usual self-boosting PR crap. So I hadn't considered it from Cotto's perspective. Thank you.
    Last edited by edgarg; 02-29-2012, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hunter121
      Donovan's no fool, so there has to be some-likely tortuous-explanation for this.

Chimpazees have that capacity for mindless mimicry more than any other animal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Counter View Post
        Let me help you out.

The negative = Mayweather is fighting Cotto. (Cotto, who was Pacquiao's first choice opponent if he was willing to drain down, AGAIN) A bad stylistic match up for Cotto.

"this time in a fight that from a styles perspective figures to be less competitive than Pacquiao’s June 9 showdown with Tim Bradley Jr."

Turning the negative into the positive = "The chief selling point in getting Cotto to agree to terms was in making the opportunity as attractive as possible. This was lost on Pacquiao, who sought a rematch but only if it took place below 150 lb., far below where Cotto has campaigned for his past three fights in growing quite accustomed to the 154 lb. limit." The writer was being generous here because Pac said he wouldn't fight Cotto above 147, well below 150

Turning a negative into a positive = That's how it translates into a gain
        Why do you feel it took so much "persuasion" to entice Cotto to fight Mayweather, since he already had publicly announced that he was not going to damage his body by fighting at a lower weight and MannyP was known to have refused to fight over 147?? I don't see your point as being valid.

I think it took only a good financial offer although nobody really knows how much that was. After all, this is a normal business expectation for a top level opponent. And he was a free agent who could make his own decisions. Nothing unusual.
        Last edited by edgarg; 02-29-2012, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          I'm beyond disappointed that "edgarg" continues to be the biggest Bob Arum dick licker (a term I rarely if ever use) and apologist on this forum.
          SMH. Dude is a freaking PROMOTER.

Comment

Alright guys, enough digging on edgarg. He's always been one of my biggest supporters and I respect the fact that he disagrees with my take here. When it comes to anything Mayweather and/or Pacquiao related, you're always going to wind up with a hung jury.

I'm in the wrong business if I were to take every comment to heart.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
              the most ignorant comment "when Pacquiao forced de La hoya to come down to 147". Yeah well he conveniently forgets Pacquiao was coming up from LIGHTWEIGHT, a weight class he had only one fight in.
              I didn't mention it because Pac never again fought at lightweight, and in fact only had one fight at 140. Everything else has been WW and catchweight.

At the time, it was a remarkable feat though largely due to the fact that few expected him to win (for the record, I officially picked him to win, just not in such dominant fashion). But in time, Evander Holyfield's first win over Mike Tyson became less and less surprising. Not very different here.

Comment

and perhaps "overdid" it.
                Originally posted by JakeNDaBox View Post
                Alright guys, enough digging on edgarg. He's always been one of my biggest supporters and I respect the fact that he disagrees with my take here. When it comes to anything Mayweather and/or Pacquiao related, you're always going to wind up with a hung jury.

I'm in the wrong business if I were to take every comment to heart.
                Thank's Jake. I'm glad of some support. Been jumped a bit lately, more than usual that is, and had to put people on ignore for the first time ever. I figured we'd hear from you pretty quickly as you always are interested in the responses you elicit.

I was intending to project a combination of "sadness and regret" and perhaps overdid it. Maybe I aimed too high-for some. And for those who mindlessly keep hounding Arum, they saddle him with every crime since Leopold and Loeb. Nothing is too tawdry for him to be accused of. It's forgotten that he is loyal to those who depend on him, and that he's made many of the beloved of the posters into super-champions and many millionaires.

So in actual fact, since I don't know him, nor know anyone who knows him, nor care anything about him, with me it's just a matter of fact and my interpretation of fairness.
                Last edited by edgarg; 02-29-2012, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNDaBox View Post
                  I didn't mention it because Pac never again fought at lightweight, and in fact only had one fight at 140. Everything else has been WW and catchweight.

At the time, it was a remarkable feat though largely due to the fact that few expected him to win (for the record, I officially picked him to win, just not in such dominant fashion). But in time, Evander Holyfield's first win over Mike Tyson became less and less surprising. Not very different here.
                  If U remember, Oscar was a 9/5 FAVORITE at the MGM, on Fight Night!!!

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
                    and perhaps "overdid" it.
                    Thank's Jake. I'm glad of some support. Been jumped a bit lately, more than usual that is, and had to put people on ignore for the first time ever. I figured we'd hear from you pretty quickly as you always are interested in the responses you elicit.

I was intending to project a combination of "sadness and regret" and perhaps overdid it. Maybe I aimed too high-for some. And for those who mindlessly keep hounding Arum, they saddle him with every crime since Leopold and Loeb. Nothing is too tawdry for him to be accused of. It's forgotten that he is loyal to those who depend on him, and that he's made many of the beloved of the posters into super-champions and many millionaires.

So in actual fact, since I don't know him, nor know anyone who knows him, nor care anything about him, with me it's just a matter of fact and my interpretation of fairness.
                    It's all good. Like I said, I took your comments as feedback and nothing more. We're e-homies whether on the same side of an argument or not.

Comment

Originally posted by jbpanama View Post
                      If U remember, Oscar was a 9/5 FAVORITE at the MGM, on Fight Night!!!
                      Yup well aware of that. He opened as a much greater favorite... much in the way that Tyson was something like a 26-1 favorite over Holy when the fight was first announced, and bet all the way down to 6-1 by the opening bell.

Comment

Working...
                      X