Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Chavez Jr, Donaire Go The Distance In Laboring Victories

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Chavez Jr, Donaire Go The Distance In Laboring Victories

By Jake Donovan - With his legendary father leading the way into the ring and cheering him on at ringside, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr continued the growth portion of his still budding career.

The second-generation titlist maintained both his unbeaten record and his alphabet middleweight belt with a hard-fought decision win over Marco Antonio Rubio in the main event of HBO’s first boxing telecast of the year Saturday evening at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Scores were 118-110, 116-112 and 115-113 in favor of Chavez Jr, who made the second successful defense of the belt he won last June.

As the comparisons to his father remains inevitable, Chavez Jr. continues to emulate the original model in all but giving away the first round of each fight. The action was slow, with Rubio dictating the pace on the occasion in which punches were exchanged between the Mexican rivals.

Chavez Jr. came alive in the second round, stalking Rubio and catching him along the ropes. The success didn’t carry over into the third round, as he was left to showcase the granite chin trait that runs deep in his family’s genes. Rubio enjoyed his most successful round to that point, with Chavez Jr showing his ability to take a punch, but hardly a sound formula for winning rounds.

The pace didn’t pick up very much in the middle rounds but was fought entirely in a phone booth. Chavez Jr. worked the body well, but appeared to be punching himself out early on – perhaps a testament to his struggling all week to make weight (159.5 lb at Friday’s weigh-in after stripping down to his birthday suit) and then piling on 22 lb. from weigh-in to the opening bell.

Rubio appeared fit and trim, but couldn’t quite come up with a fluid attack that forced Chavez Jr to change his ways. A low blow in the fifth round by the Mexican veteran actually benefited both fighters, as each seemed to be in the need for an unofficial time out. [Click Here To Read More]

Fu# this, where are my Yoan Pablo Hernandez updates Boxingscene?
    USS went down twice in the fourth from what I read. Much love to my Cuban brother rising in Cruiser. Only 27 yrs old.

Comment

Cant believe Jim Lampley was comparing Donaire to Sonny Liston, anyway if you watched that fight on mute like you can see that it was a good back and forth fight, what was absurd was the 118-110 scorecard in the main event.

Comment

Originally posted by liraj View Post
        Cant believe Jim Lampley was comparing Donaire to Sonny Liston, anyway if you watched that fight on mute like you can see that it was a good back and forth fight, what was absurd was the 118-110 scorecard in the main event.
        Very unfair comparison. Lampley = Attention whore with leopard print glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by damit305 View Post
          Very unfair comparison. Lampley = Attention whore with leopard print glasses.
          HA HA me and my kids couldn't stop laughing when we seen those stupid ass glasses

Comment

Congrats to Chavez Jr and Nonito. I had Nonito winning 116-112. I just do not get Garcia scoring it 115-112 Vasquez? I don't think Garcia will be judging in any championship fight anytime soon. His stocks went down with his questionable decision.

Comment

Originally posted by puroylan View Post
              Congrats to Chavez Jr and Nonito. I had Nonito winning 116-112. I just do not get Garcia scoring it 115-112 Vasquez? I don't think Garcia will be judging in any championship fight anytime soon. His stocks went down with his questionable decision.
              Yes he will. Unless it's controversial Ala Williams v Lara where all three judges were blinded by pepper-spray before the fight then he will continue judging no problem. Someone prove me wrong.

Comment

Ruben Garcia's score of 115 -112 for Vasquez was totally unfair even you omit the knockdown Donaire clearly won by UD. Ruben must be blind. :*******:

Comment

Originally posted by komandante View Post
                  Ruben Garcia's score of 115 -112 for Vasquez was totally unfair even you omit the knockdown Donaire clearly won by UD. Ruben must be blind. :*******:
                  Totally agree! That judge should be suspended.

Comment

"Night Of The Hype Jobs" nothing more, nothing less!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X