No announcement yet.

Let's say Gamboa dominates Rios...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post
    yeah you did actually. still i disagree though! physically pretty similar (depending on how gamboa goes up in weight) about the same but skills wise no.
    I love Gamboa. He's extremely talented, very skilled (despite what some people might think) and highly entertaining. But Pacquiao is a superstar for a reason. Manny's detractors will say that he fights washed-up fighters, drained due to imposed catch-weights. There's some validity to the criticisms, but Pacquiao is gifted beyond a doubt.

Manny beat the piss out of Margarito, who might be likened to Rios. (I can't see Yuri beating Brandon in the same fashion.) Pacquiao smoked De La Hoya and made him quit. (Oscar may have seen better days, but, c'mon.) But perhaps Manny's most impressive recent performance was his dismantling of Miguel Cotto. (I simply cannot see Yuriorkis Gamboa bludgeoning Miguel the way Pacquiao did. No way, no how.)

I see Yuri becoming a top P4P star in the next few years, but never on the level of Manny Pacquiao.

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
      He just seems to be one of those guys who will always go down and get right back up a second later - I can't think of a time when he's really been on que3r street on the verge of getting TKO or something....maybe i'm not going back far enough in my memory. I think the Salido knockdown was the latest in a fight he has been dropped, but he wasn't out of it.

It's like he starts the fight with the chin of Trinidad or Pryor, and once he gets knocked down he turns into RJJ and finally uses his reflexes and defense. So, while I think he will continue to get decked...unless he is really HURT, it wont matter because he is fast enough to avoid KO's which will allow him to do his fight as the fight goes along. I know saying getting knocked down by guys like Rios and Pac means nothing sounds dumb, but there have been guys like this who just get up and keep going like nothing happend because they are in such good condition
      For the most part, you're right. But I did some research a while ago; Yuri appeared somewhat dazed once in his pro career. I believe it was against Darling Jimenez. Gamboa's reaction is open to interpretation, but it appeared to me that he was a little buzzed (although I certainly wouldn't go as far as saying he was "hurt"). Nonetheless, the moment came against an unknown. What happens with a flush shot from Rios or Pacquiao?

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        I love Gamboa. He's extremely talented, very skilled (despite what some people might think) and highly entertaining. But Pacquiao is a superstar for a reason. Manny's detractors will say that he fights washed-up fighters, drained due to imposed catch-weights. There's some validity to the criticisms, but Pacquiao is gifted beyond a doubt.

Manny beat the piss out of Margarito, who might be likened to Rios. (I can't see Yuri beating Brandon in the same fashion.) Pacquiao smoked De La Hoya and made him quit. (Oscar may have seen better days, but, c'mon.) But perhaps Manny's most impressive recent performance was his dismantling of Miguel Cotto. (I simply cannot see Yuriorkis Gamboa bludgeoning Miguel the way Pacquiao did. No way, no how.)

I see Yuri becoming a top P4P star in the next few years, but never on the level of Manny Pacquiao.
        i guess a better way to explain what i mean is that if you took away pacquiao's speed and strength he'd be pretty ****e.
        if you took away gamboa's, he'd still be a pretty slick boxer, though obviously nothing like the gamboa we know.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
          Either he dishes out a beating and gets a KO, or boxes his ears off. Let's just pretend for a moment that happens...that Gamboa looks amazing and the weight gain isn't a problem whatsoever.

Would you then..........want to see Gamboa vs Pacquiao at say 140 pounds if the PBF fight still isn't going down? JMM vs Gamboa? Khan vs Gamboa? Bradley vs Gamboa? Maidana? What big fight would you like to see?

Or would you simply like him to stick at 135, not push his luck, and fight lesser named guys like DeMarco, etc.?
          If he beats a great(not weight drained)Rios,I would like to see him move to 140lb for a JMM Bradley or Alvarado fight..I think those style match ups would be great..But being honest I don't see him beating Rios unless the weight is really a problem for Rios..

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
            Why Joan Guzman?

What has he done lately to deserve any sort of big name?
            He beat Soto and the other tall lightweight in a close decision even though he came in over weight.

But at the end of the day, this would be a step up for him. He's gotta step up sometime right?

Or should he go another 15 years undefeated fighting good competition every once in awhile?

Besides, Gamboa is still a prospect himself. Your comment is almost like I'm asking Guzman to fight Mayweather or Pac; no, it's only Gamboa.
            Last edited by BoxingGenius27; 01-31-2012, 08:49 PM.

Comment

i hope this happens, but anyways, i'd like to see him fight jmm at 135 or try and unify belts against the other guys at 135. then perhaps he can have a showdown down the line against the broner/perez winner and even if mikey garcia wants to move up since he's not really doing anything in his weightclass (even though i heard he might be in line for the lopez/salido II winner). but guys like bradley, maidana, and khan, i expect them to move up to 147 by the end of the year so not all of them would be possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
                He beat Soto and the other tall lightweight in a close decision even though he came in over weight.

But at the end of the day, this would be a step up for him. He's gotta step up sometime right?

Or should he go another 15 years undefeated fighting good competition every once in awhile?

Besides, Gamboa is still a prospect himself. Your comment is almost like I'm asking Guzman to fight Mayweather or Pac; no, it's only Gamboa.
                gamboa isn't a prospect he's a champion. he's 29 years old. granted he hasn't fought an elite fighter but he's no prospect

Comment

I wouldn't mind it at 140.

But I guarantee that, somehow, it ends up a catchweight higher than 140.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
                    nah man

That pic means crap to me.

I had a picture with Gamboa right after he fought Solis, and he looked liek a child to my side and im not tall nor heavy.
                    Juanma looked like a JMW in the Salido fight.

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                    lol Alas....
                    If yury dominates someone tough, like Bradley or Peterson at 140, then I can see him getting in the ring with Pac, as of right now, he gets utterly destroyed!

Comment

Originally posted by El C@cique@PR View Post
                      That pic means crap to me.

I had a picture with Gamboa right after he fought Solis, and he looked liek a child to my side and im not tall nor heavy.
                      Juanma looked like a JMW in the Salido fight.

If yury dominates someone tough, like Bradley or Peterson at 140, then I can see him getting in the ring with Pac, as of right now, he gets utterly destroyed!
                      lol what u mean the pics mean nothing they are clear evidence the size isn't that drastically different

Comment

Working...
                      X