Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between conventional boxing and mma boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watch both boxing and mma, and the thing that bugs me off is the lack of body punches in mma, with those small gloves it would be very effective.

Nick Diaz is one of the only guys that I see go to the body

Comment

god damn double post...

Comment

Originally posted by microMXL View Post
        I watch both boxing and mma, and the thing that bugs me off is the lack of body punches in mma, with those small gloves it would be very effective.

Nick Diaz is one of the only guys that I see go to the body
        The jab is also really underutilized in mma. The reason body punching isnt used that much in mma though is that it takes more work to set up body puching in mma than in boxing. In mma jabs and crosses can be very easily countered with a knee to the face so the risk outweighs the reward. They can also kick to the body while staying at a relatively safe range for the same effect. because of this a hook or 2 to the body just gets tacked onto the beginning or end of combos to mix it up.

Comment

Originally posted by TR vs. GB View Post
          Ok thats cool. I respect mma fighters but man I really just have no interest at all in that sport.
          to each his own. i dont think it was OP's intention to sway people.

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
          The jab is also really underutilized in mma. The reason body punching isnt used that much in mma though is that it takes more work to set up body puching in mma than in boxing. In mma jabs and crosses can be very easily countered with a knee to the face so the risk outweighs the reward. They can also kick to the body while staying at a relatively safe range for the same effect. because of this a hook or 2 to the body just gets tacked onto the beginning or end of combos to mix it up.
          beat me to it.

Also the stances are different because in MMA you have to watch for the takedown. So they're alot more squared up than a boxer would be.

Frankie Edgar has some decent skills, I think.

MMA is more of like a jack of all trades. Boxing is one aspect of that. jsut like wrestling is or BJJ.

here are some interesting vids

boxing glove vs. mma glove
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRmOOWPTRBs

boxer wears 1 glove in UFC 1
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zetYaAjq0dQ
          Last edited by Dirt; 01-31-2012, 09:48 PM.

Comment

You can NEVER compare the 2. In boxing, you're defending against punches only while in mma you're defending against punches, elbows, knees, kicks, and take downs. Apples and oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
              You can NEVER compare the 2. In boxing, you're defending against punches only while in mma you're defending against punches, elbows, knees, kicks, and take downs. Apples and oranges.
              Im well aware of that. And as a result of those differences the 1 aspect of mma that boxing fans recognize looks completely different.

I made this thread to educate boxing fans that what they're looking at might seem sloppy and amateurish but its actually textbook for the mma fighter and hopefully promote some cross-sport fanship.

Comment

I'm not sure but I would say there's really no BOXING in MMA only attempts at it.

Comment

Might I note that stance is shifted because of the fear of takedowns and leg kicks. Last thing you want is someone to slam a shin into the back of your knee, hence causing you to not only lose position, but fall on your ass which could lead to someone capitalizing on your and possibly putting your lights out.

edit: I should have read more, it seems people beat me to that point.

ANyways, I think that it also has to do with styles as well. Certain styles of boxing work better for MMA than others, you simply can't lean back and rope a dope in MMA, if you do that you leave yourself open to all kinds of different shots and takedowns. Head movement has to be modified as well, I've seen fighters bend ofer and eat a knee, or slip a punch and move into a kick, there's so many different things that requires a fighter to change his tactics.
                  Last edited by Left2theliver; 02-01-2012, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X