No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Rico Ramos-Guillermo Rigondeaux: Pre-Fight Report Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Rico Ramos-Guillermo Rigondeaux: Pre-Fight Report Card

by Cliff Rold - For fans in other parts of the world, title time is already underway in the 2012 boxing season. For U.S. fans, it starts this Friday. Rescheduled from what was supposed to be a December date, one of the great amateurs in the history of boxing will attempt to win his first major (non-interim) title as a pro.

It is only his ninth fight.

He’s favored to win.

This, of course, is not the amateur ranks. The pro game has proven in the past a difficult bridge for men who dominated the unpaid field. Guillermo Rigondeaux was the sort of talent who figured capable of sailing over. Winning all but a dozen of some 400 starts for the Cuban national team, Rigondeaux won Gold at the 2000 and 2004 Games along with World Amateur titles in 2001 and 2005.

His first paid step up left room for doubts about his suitability for the pro game. Matched with rugged veteran Ricardo Cordoba for the interim WBA belt at 122 lbs. in 2010, Rigondeaux built a strong early lead, punctuated with a knockdown in round four.

Then he hit the deck in the sixth and the wheels came off a bit. Perhaps more correct would be to say they came on. Staring at his first twelve round fight, Rigondeaux went into a shell, moving and rarely engaging down the stretch. He hung on for the win but left fans unsatisfied. The clamor to see him again was nil.

Was the reaction too harsh? Despite his amateur achievements, it was still only his seventh pro outing while Cordoba had gone to scratch more than forty times. Friday night, he has the chance to put Cordoba behind him and give fans a new point of entry into his career. [Click Here To Read More]

Your wrong Rico will win this by UD, and it wont even be a difficult fight

Comment

Wow...really good article, but a rather bold prediction at the end. I hope Cliff is right. Not only would I like Rigo to win, but I want to see it done in electrifying fashion. We'll know soon enough....

Comment

Ramos is not the perfect foe for Rigondeaux to impress against, Casey was (a slower, forward marching, inexperienced fighter with a leaky defense). Ramos has the tools and style to cause Rigondeaux to revert to his cautious, counterpunching style thus looking unimpressive.

Their unwillingness to lead or fight on the inside will turn this fight into a staring contest with the better ring general winning comfortably. Rigondeaux is the better ring general in this fight so I expect him to win the one sided affair void of action.

Hopefully, their precision is sharp on fight night because they'll have to make the most out of the few opportunities they'll give each other and that is where some unexpected action can occur.

Comment

Originally posted by QUELOQUE View Post
          Ramos is not the perfect foe for Rigondeaux to impress against, Casey was (a slower, forward marching, inexperienced fighter with a leaky defense). Ramos has the tools and style to cause Rigondeaux to revert to his cautious, counterpunching style thus looking unimpressive.

Their unwillingness to lead or fight on the inside will turn this fight into a staring contest with the better ring general winning comfortably. Rigondeaux is the better ring general in this fight so I expect him to win the one sided affair void of action.

Hopefully, their precision is sharp on fight night because they'll have to make the most out of the few opportunities they'll give each other and that is where some unexpected action can occur.
          Great post, man. But I hope you'e wrong about how boring the fight will be!

Comment

I agree he better run the whole fight or hes going down in 6! I like both fighters but Rigondeaux too talented to lose and im sure he only getting better. I see improvements coming

Comment

I hope Ramos knocks that dude out. I've never heard of a fighter going to the Olympic games 2 times. After winning gold once he should've went pro. I don't understand why he didn't or for whatever reason. I don't like Rigo and I hope Ramos cleans his clock. He needs to show this fighter that there is a big difference between where he came from and where he is now. Ramos in 11. Rigo aint ready for the tough fights and the deep waters of the pros.

Comment

not sure i can agree with both being given B+ on the defence but the article seems pretty much on the money

Comment

Rico ramos is gona take it, I thought rigo lost against that skinny dude in the undercard of pacman, rigo doesnt impress me lets see how he does with rico

Comment

Rigo 2 win but what's hurt him is long periods of inactivity and not the best of opposition...31 now & as he gets older the natural ability he has must be aided by better sparring and learning...he has 2 serious flaws...

Comment

Working...
                    X