No announcement yet.

Larry Holmes: “The Klitschko brothers aren’t carrying the sport."

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lucky Jim View Post
    Of course the Klitschkos aren't "carrying in the division" in America. It's got nothing to do with their skill level or styles or anything like that. Anyone who thinks Americans generally are going to embrace two "Russian" (please don't ask an American to distinguish between a Russian and a Ukrainian) brothers as heavyweight champions, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

The cold war mentality is alive and well here, thanks.

The brothers are quite popular in that same Brooklyn, actually, and Wlad is thinking of fighting here in the new basketball arena later in the year. Why? Because south Brooklyn is heavily populated by Russian, Ukrainian, and Polish peoples, not "real Americans."

The Klitschkos are superstars in Germany and are doing fine in the rest of continental Europe, and the UK has been kinder to them since Wlad beat David Haye. They have mostly given up on the US market because of the factors I've already stated. As has been said many times, including by Larry Merchant, if they were named Wally and Vic and were from Montana, they'd be bigger than sliced bread in America, and any perceived flaws they my have would be overlooked. Two heavyweight champ American brothers? They'd be on magazine covers and TV shows all the time.

As for Larry Holmes, there's a good deal of jealousy involved in most of what he says these days. He's a bitter old man, it seems.
    Great post. I agree 100% with what you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
      The Klits are good fighters but that is all it takes in this era. Look at the state of the rest of the heavyweights who are vying to take their crown. Fat, out of shape and bereft of any skill that wouldn't even allow them to leave the Amateur ranks had they were living in oher era's. Lewis was overweight, unfit, unmotivated and at the end of his career and he still ripped open the face of someone who in his prime at the time, is still ruling the division 8 years later and is considered the best today. That alone should tell you the skill level of the current crop.
      If you say so.

Comment

Who cares how popular they are. They are dominating the division convincingly, beating everyone put in front of them, not ducking any fighters. Props to them. They don't get the credit they deserve just because their style isn't very entertaining?

Paul Pender beat Sugar Ray Robinson!

Now I'm not saying they are by any means Top 10 HW's or whatever. However they are very capable heavyweight champions. Yes they might have benefited from a weak era, Marciano did the same.

Comment

The last paragraph of the article was most telling...

Larry, like a number of U.S fans, seems despondent over the fact that America no longer plays a massive role in the heavyweight division. The “rising star” Holmes yearns for is surely of American origin. But will America ever climb back to dominate the sport’s most important weight class the way it did for almost a hundred years? Looking around for upcoming U.S heavyweight prospects, only Seth Mitchell looks promising.
          That's what it's really all about, the Ivan Dragos are in charge and the Apollo Creeds are hurting.

Originally posted by Sir TomJones View Post
          I don't care about nationality. David Haye was a complete coward. shame he tricked you and others into believing in him.
          You say that, but he took more risks than Wlad but is half his size, hopefully Vitali v Haye will be a more exciting bout.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post

That's what it's really all about, the Ivan Dragos are in charge and the Apollo Creeds are hurting.

You say that, but he took more risks than Wlad but is half his size, hopefully Vitali v Haye will be a more exciting bout.
            Prime for prime Creed murks Drago. Easy UD possible late TKO.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
              Who cares how popular they are. They are dominating the division convincingly, beating everyone put in front of them, not ducking any fighters. Props to them. They don't get the credit they deserve just because their style isn't very entertaining?

Paul Pender beat Sugar Ray Robinson!

Now I'm not saying they are by any means Top 10 HW's or whatever. However they are very capable heavyweight champions. Yes they might have benefited from a weak era, Marciano did the same.
              As did one Larry Holmes.

But the truth is, a lot of these claims against the Klitschkos are exaggerated because of where they are from. The current era is weak, but so have been many other eras. The so-called "strong" era filled with superstars is not the rule, but the exception.

What is different now is that in all those other "weak eras," Americans were still the heavyweight champions. Now that is not the case, so the "weak era" argument is magnified by those who resent the intrusion of two "foreigners" into what was considered USA-owned territory.

And "entertaining"? Was watching Larry Holmes jab a total palooka like "Tex" Cobb for 15 rounds "entertaining"? Howard Cosell didn't think so -- he was announcing the fight and quit halfway through.

Holmes is the last guy who should be talking about the Klitschkos.

Comment

As did one Larry Holmes.

But the truth is, a lot of these claims against the Klitschkos are exaggerated because of where they are from. The current era is weak, but so have been many other eras. The so-called "strong" era filled with superstars is not the rule, but the exception.

What is different now is that in all those other "weak eras," Americans were still the heavyweight champions. Now that is not the case, so the "weak era" argument is magnified by those who resent the intrusion of two "foreigners" into what was considered USA-owned territory.

And "entertaining"? Was watching Larry Holmes jab a total palooka like "Tex" Cobb for 15 rounds "entertaining"? Howard Cosell didn't think so -- he was announcing the fight and quit halfway through.

Holmes is the last guy who should be talking about the Klitschkos.
                Yeah Holmes' era was weak.

However I don't think Marciano's or Holmes' was quite as bad as this one.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post

Naaaaah, that's just the author putting his own editorial spin on it, and putting words in Holmes mouth, which all too typical with the boxing press.

Holmes made no mention in his direct quotes about nationality.

Just about the FACT that the Heavyweight crown is seen as less prestigous NOW as it was in his era.

And this is NOT just in the U.S. this is worldwide.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                    Yeah Holmes' era was weak.

However I don't think Marciano's or Holmes' was quite as bad as this one.
                    I think the Klitschkos walk through Maricano's era, including Marciano, like a hot knife through butter.

Holmes' era would have presented a couple of tougher challenges, like Mike Weaver, but nothing the K-Bros would have been shivering in fear at.

But the degree of weakness is a matter of opinion. One thing that is clear to me is that the "weak era" argument is used to bash the Klitschkos far more than it was against Holmes or Marciano, for obvious reasons.

Comment

I think the Klitschkos walk through Maricano's era, including Marciano, like a hot knife through butter.

Holmes' era would have presented a couple of tougher challenges, like Mike Weaver, but nothing the K-Bros would have been shivering in fear at.

But the degree of weakness is a matter of opinion. One thing that is clear to me is that the "weak era" argument is used to bash the Klitschkos far more than it was against Holmes or Marciano, for obvious reasons.
                      I argree, Holmes' era is worse for the Klitschko.

Comment

Working...
                      X