• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nba's artest to consider boxing?

NBA'S ARTEST TO CONSIDER BOXING?
    by Lem Satterfield
    Dec 24th, 2011
    Los Angeles Lakers star Ron Artest, who goes by the name, Metta World Peace, has mused that he will consider being a professional boxer for a few bouts after his basketball career ends in a few years.

"I actually might sign with Floyd Mayweather's [promotional company.] I was talking to [promoter] Lou DiBella, and I was talking to Floyd, and I briefly spoke to [Top Rank Inc. CEO] Bob Arum," said Peace. "But I think I'm going to go and sign with Floyd Mayweather as a professional later."

Peace also shared his thoughts on the recent legal issues of Mayweather, the WBC welterweight beltholder whose recent 90-day jail sentence could jeopardize a potential matchup opposite WBO counterpart Manny Pacquiao.

Pacquiao is coming off November's controversial majority decision over Juan Manuel Marquez, while Mayweather (42-0, 26 knockouts) has targeted a May 5 return to the ring at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas against an opponent to be determined. Many have speculated that Pacquiao is his target.

But given the fact that Mayweather was sentenced to 90 days in jail starting on January 6, there is a significant doubt as to whether or not Maywhether will even be licensed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission's five-member committee, let alone, if he will even have time enough to begin training for any fight on that date.

"It's not good," said Peace. "He's tough enough. He'll get through it, come back and fight."

In the meantime, Arum has said that he might offer up a fourth bout with Marquez, or else, WBO junior welterweight beltholder Tim Bradley or WBA junior middleweight titleholder Miguel Cotto to Pacquiao during a January meeting.

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lemuel.satterfield@gmail.com

Metta always says crazy things. This is one of them. He's a big boxing fan and it probably is a dream of his to fight professionally, but if he does it won't be until after his basketball career is over. Which probably won't be until his late 30's.

However, if he would've gotten into boxing earlier I think he would've been a great HW. He has some of the fastest hands in basketball and for a guy his size, he's very agile and light on his feet.

Comment

Working...
    X