No announcement yet.

Why Pirog isn't fighting in the US revealed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
    You seem to be overlooking one large fact though, Lara isn't even in his division. Being a Martinez fan i can understand that you love seeing MW Title holders defend against men from smaller weighclasses who have done nothing in the division but the rest of us have more common sense.
    But Lara would get him on American TV. Which he absolutely needs if he ever hopes to make himself an attractive opponent for Sergio.

Pirog could also fight Golovkin (who IS in his weight class) instead of ducking him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
      who have done nothing in the division
      Lara vs Williams was officially a 155 catchweight middleweight fight where Williams came in as a full fledged middleweight weighing 170 pounds on fight night. Ring Magazine rated Williams top 3 in the middleweight division at the time. Even your hero Golovkin said "I consider Paul Williams to be the best middleweight" less than one year before Williams fought Lara. That's nothing to you? Meanwhile beating freaken Daniel Jacobs makes you the most dangerous middleweight in the world? GTFO

The only thing Martinez had accomplished in the middleweight division before taking the middleweight crown from Pavlik was losing to Williams as well. Why can't Lara do the same if he wants to?

Pirog could also fight Golovkin (who IS in his weight class) instead of ducking him.
      I don't get why this can't be made. Offer a 50/50 split in Russia.
      Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 12-27-2011, 03:42 AM.

Comment

The management of Pirog (and many other fighters) is so nearsighted that it boggles my mind.

As an example I started a job working in sales a couple years ago for a large company and was making a salary plus commission of about 50k.

After a couple years doing consumer sales I realized the big money was in health care and other large enterprise accounts so I went after a 6 month rotation job that focused on outbounding and long term relationship sales.

The 6 month job I received the same salary I had before but no longer earned a commission. I basically went from making 50k to 32k because I knew it would be better for me long term.

During the 6 months I was making less money I was able to network and line up an opportunity to interview for a job handling major health care accounts. The experience I gained in that 6 month rotation role was a huge positive for me when I sat down for the interview. I ended up getting the job I wanted within 2.5 years, a process that usually takes 4 or 5 years and it was all because I was willing to bite the bullet and takes less money knowing that it would help me get to where I really wanted to be sooner.

For 6 months I lost out on about $8000 worth of commissions. Now I make over $75k and don't work half as hard as I did before.

Dmitri Pirog should consider that when he feels like he is content with beating up Russian bums for good, but not great, money.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
          Lara vs Williams was officially a 155 catchweight middleweight fight where Williams came in as a full fledged middleweight weighing 170 pounds on fight night. Ring Magazine rated Williams top 3 in the middleweight division at the time. Even your hero Golovkin said "I consider Paul Williams to be the best middleweight" just less than a year before he fought Lara. That's nothing to you? Meanwhile beating freaken Daniel Jacobs makes you the best middleweight in the world? GTFO
          You know, I was gonna ask for a link for PWs ranking post KO, but I think you're right. And that's crazy considering PWill never beat a top 20 ranked MW.

The only thing Martinez had accomplished in the middleweight division before taking the middleweight crown from Pavlik was "losing" to Williams as well. Why can't Lara do the same?

I don't get why this can't be made. Offer a 50/50 split in Russia.
          Well it's not clear team GG is interested, we're getting conflicting signals. Here's what they said 3 weeks ago, almost identical to Pirog's response:

http://www.boxingscene.com/team-golo...nse-now--47067

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
            The management of Pirog (and many other fighters) is so nearsighted that it boggles my mind.

As an example I started a job working in sales a couple years ago for a large company and was making a salary plus commission of about 50k.

After a couple years doing consumer sales I realized the big money was in health care and other large enterprise accounts so I went after a 6 month rotation job that focused on outbounding and long term relationship sales.

The 6 month job I received the same salary I had before but no longer earned a commission. I basically went from making 50k to 32k because I knew it would be better for me long term.

During the 6 months I was making less money I was able to network and line up an opportunity to interview for a job handling major health care accounts. The experience I gained in that 6 month rotation role was a huge positive for me when I sat down for the interview. I ended up getting the job I wanted within 2.5 years, a process that usually takes 4 or 5 years and it was all because I was willing to bite the bullet and takes less money knowing that it would help me get to where I really wanted to be sooner.

For 6 months I lost out on about $8000 worth of commissions. Now I make over $75k and don't work half as hard as I did before.

Dmitri Pirog should consider that when he feels like he is content with beating up Russian bums for good, but not great, money.
            Well according to the best available info, he's making $1mil twice per year. He's not seeing that anywhere else, HBO or wherever.

I'm not 100% buying the figure, but lets say he's making even $200k. You think he'd me smart to beat up on bigger bums on FNF for 1/10 of that?

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
              Yeah, we've known that HBO is basically punishing him for knocking Jacobs out. And the big names he wants to fight, the money just isn't worth it for either side from what I've seen.
              Exactly what I was thinking- and Al Hayman's finger prints are in there- you better believe there is a little retribution going on for knocking out Jacobs.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                Well according to the best available info, he's making $1mil twice per year. He's not seeing that anywhere else, HBO or wherever.

I'm not 100% buying the figure, but lets say he's making even $200k. You think he'd me smart to beat up on bigger bums on FNF for 1/10 of that?
                Nah, I am saying that if he believes in himself, and is willing to take a couple risks and fight on HBO for less than a million dollars he could potentially line himself up for much bigger paydays.

If he came to the US and beat up both Chavez and Martinez (for instance) he could probably then negotiate a fight in Russia which HBO would be willing to televise and he could get both the Russian money, and the HBO money. He could have his cake and eat it too as they say.

Making a million bucks is great, but they guy fights once or twice a year, so a million bucks is not only what he makes for 1 fight, but also for a calendar year. If he could get himself into a position where he can make 2-3 million that would be 3 years worth of the income that he is earning now.

Should he take a risk and lose he can probably still go back to Russia and command large purses. So why not?

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                  You know, I was gonna ask for a link for PWs ranking post KO, but I think you're right. And that's crazy considering PWill never beat a top 20 ranked MW.
                  Williams has a win over Martinez at middleweight. That counts big time.

Anyway, the WBA is finally forcing Sturm to fight Golovkin next. They could unify later if he wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
                    Nah, I am saying that if he believes in himself, and is willing to take a couple risks and fight on HBO for less than a million dollars he could potentially line himself up for much bigger paydays.

If he came to the US and beat up both Chavez and Martinez (for instance) he could probably then negotiate a fight in Russia which HBO would be willing to televise and he could get both the Russian money, and the HBO money. He could have his cake and eat it too as they say.

Making a million bucks is great, but they guy fights once or twice a year, so a million bucks is not only what he makes for 1 fight, but also for a calendar year. If he could get himself into a position where he can make 2-3 million that would be 3 years worth of the income that he is earning now.

Should he take a risk and lose he can probably still go back to Russia and command large purses. So why not?
                    Because he can't get a fight on HBO or SHO, not for the lack of trying! They both just rejected a really solid fight in Pirog Geale. As for the fairytale above, come on, you're veteran poster, how is Pirog getting Chavez in the ring? Sergio said he's not interested at this point. I maintain his best chance is Lara (who is getting some tv dates, so why no offer for Pirog?) and Quillin, who'll be ready for a title shot soon and doesn't have many other options.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                      Williams has a win over Martinez at middleweight. That counts big time.

Anyway, the WBA is finally forcing Sturm to fight Golovkin next. They could unify later if he wins.
                      In retrospect, yes. At the time he was a blown up interim jmw title holder with Bunema as his best win. So maybe that helped keep PWill near the top after the KO, but it's perplexing how he got there in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                      X