Collapse
No announcement yet.

who's greater joe calzaghe or winky wright

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, you yanks really don't have a clue.

Calzaghe by an absolute country mile, fought no one yet he was the undisputed Super Middleweight champion.

Talking out your bumholes here.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      He wasn't great at 154, no. It's still Shane Mosley, though. Beating him in his prime wasn't an easy thing. 154 or not.

It's obviously a good win for Wright. Underdog going into it, #1 at 154 and Top P4P fighter.

Doing that, is absolutely better than betaing Kessler IMO. And I ca't see how that's not at the very least argubale.

I didn't say Oscar didn't deserve the Decision over Mosley. I'm just talking about Wright's and Calzaghe's fights respectively. Vargas, a fight in which Wright should have won, would again be better than almost anything Calzaghe did in his career.

And even if you do consider Kessler and Hopkins to be better than Wright's whole resume. It doesn't really mean much.

Ruben Carter KO1 Emile Griffith is better than anything on anyones resume in the past 30 years possibly.

Oakland Billy Smith KO of Harold Johnson is better than anyones entire resume of the last decade.

It still doesn't change the fact that if you consider those wins both to be better than anything Winky Wright did, his resume is still not that far behind Calzaghe's.

Both of them fought around the same amount of Top ranked opposition. And both of them fought an atleast comparable amount of actual quality opposition.

Like I said, I don't think Winky is greater. But I can't see how it isn't close.

And also like I said, I'm not a fan of Winky. I'm not trying to big him up.

Quite the opposite, really.
      Stay right there, Iron. Leaving the office - will respond when I get to the crib. Always good to have solid posters like you for discussion. I was afraid you were gonna leave me to chat with AlwaysBentOver or whatever his name is. BRB.

Comment

Originally posted by starjammer View Post
        HA! Put a beating on Taylor with ease. That is ****ing hilarious, man. Seriously.

That is one of the most even fights you will ever seen.

Seen as people deride Taylor left right and centre around this forum, the fact that Wright couldn't lay down his law over the stylistically limited Taylor says a lot. Not to mention, Wright was not an underdog going into that fight.

IF Taylor had the mental fortitude to stick to his gameplan and hold the centre of the ring, the fight would not have been as close. But Taylor doesn't have that fortitude.

Calzaghe has Kessler and Hopkins. I'll take that any day over any of Wright's opposition.

And again I ask: P4P...who wins...Calzaghe or Wright?

Like I said, the Calzaghe analysis is hilarious.
        If Taylor had the mental fortitude??? Wright won that fight, I'd say re-watch it but you already believe what you believe.

Honestly, I'd pick Wright to win solely because Clazaghe is a more predictable and straightforward Sam Sauliman, slightly khan-esque. Wright would beat him to the punch with his patented arrangement of jabs and straights.

I could understand if you feel Calzaghe is better but I just didn't happen to agree with your extreme reasoning.

Comment

Calzaghe by farrrr

Comment

I also thought Wright was the first to beat beat Taylor as well.

Not just because he outlanded him and completely closed his eye shut, I just thought he flat out earned the victory and this is coming from a huge Jermaine Taylor fan at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              I don't think you saw the Echols bout. It was pretty controversial. I suggest you watch again.

As for the Sheika bout being bogus...smh. You're a clown. I'm not Joe fan but he dominated Sheika from the opening bell.
              Joe's win over Hopkins is more controversial than Echol's win over Brewer...

You're a fool if you're OK with the way the Sheika fight ended.

Jermain Taylor beat Hopkins TWICE far more convincingly than Joe did..

JT must an ATG too.

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysOnTop View Post
                Joe didn't really beat Hopkins...hell he didn't even land anything and got dropped and hurt...

Joe wanted no parts of anybody when they were in their primes...he was too busy fighting the likes of Tokker Pudwell..

Joe actually fought the LOSER of an elimination bout...
                yet he still "won" hopkins got tired in the last 4 rounds so he auto loses? did they forget the first 8 rounds where joe was slapping air and getting his knees buckled with clean punches? what is wrong with people? if hopkins didn't throw enough how did he out land calzaghe by a wide margin in at least 6 rounds(video replay confirms this) and in 2 of the other close rounds he buckled calzaghe's legs and had him stumbling around the ring/disoriented. hopkins won and anyone who thinks calzaghe won is lying to themselves or doesn't follow the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  At 154? No it really isn't. At all. He beat Oscar controversially. That's it. And his resume at 147 hung in the balance until he beat Margarito because, prior to that, he had Collazo and Oscar. Further, his resume at 135 is no great shakes either. But collectively, his resume is solid.
                  We agree at '54... but yes, I'm talking about his resume collectively [meaning DLH at '47 when DLH was everything, despite the Trinidad fight]. '47 is where he did most of his damage but is it his fault he didn't run into stiff opposition at '35 where he dominated? On top of that, it's not like he's lost to slouches either. He's fought some good opposition himself.

Comment

Originally posted by davis828 View Post
                    If Taylor had the mental fortitude??? Wright won that fight, I'd say re-watch it but you already believe what you believe.

Honestly, I'd pick Wright to win solely because Clazaghe is a more predictable and straightforward Sam Sauliman, slightly khan-esque. Wright would beat him to the punch with his patented arrangement of jabs and straights.

I could understand if you feel Calzaghe is better but I just didn't happen to agree with your extreme reasoning.
                    Nothing extreme about it pal. In my view, extreme is saying that Wright put a beating on Taylor, implying that he completely took the fight. Yes he closed Taylor's eye, but it was back and forth between them!

And I suggest you go back and look at that fight, because not just is it a great, great underrated fight, it is also a very close fight, that Taylor gave away an edge by going to the ropes.

I am a Taylor fan, so I am biased, (You can stop reading from here, or give me the benefit of the doubt), but before I started being a Taylor fan in 2007, I scored it a draw. I can see a Wright victory, 115-113, sure....but put a beating on Taylor?

We're kind of dove-tailing here, maybe, but my original point in mentioning this fight is that Wright drew against Taylor in his one chance to take a belt at a higher weight (something that Calzaghe achieved). And I don't believe there was any robbery involved. A close, close fight. And not to mention, Wright did not take it like a champion. He laid off in the 12th, infamously.

Your opinion on Wright beating Calzaghe, well that's fair enough. You know what you see. I know what I see.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                      yet he still "won" hopkins got tired in the last 4 rounds so he auto loses? did they forget the first 8 rounds where joe was slapping air and getting his knees buckled with clean punches? what is wrong with people? if hopkins didn't throw enough how did he out land calzaghe by a wide margin in at least 6 rounds(video replay confirms this) and in 2 of the other close rounds he buckled calzaghe's legs and had him stumbling around the ring/disoriented. hopkins won and anyone who thinks calzaghe won is lying to themselves or doesn't follow the rules.
                      Joe has a strange hold on people..they KNOW he ain't shi.t...yet they hold their noses and blow the guy anyway..

It's weird..

When I ask:

"Who's skills would you rather have..Joe's or Winky's"..??

I

CAN'T

GET

A

STRAIGHT

ANSWER..

Comment

Working...
                      X