No announcement yet.

who's greater joe calzaghe or winky wright

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davis828 View Post
    ^^^^priceless stuff. People seem to forget that HBO.... boxing in general was trying to get rid of Hopkins when he fought Taylor.
    they were heavily promoting both taylor and calzaghe going into those fights. calzaghe-jones ppv was already booked if calzaghe won. hopkins really should have refused to fight if he knew the fix was in(look at the scorecards the judges were giving calzaghe rounds like rounds 2 and 3 when he landed nothing) hopkins had zero chance to win except a one punch ko but hey the fight happened and people who know boxing know who really won so that's all that matters. it's better then having fantasy tards saying calzaghe would ko hopkins or what not.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      He wasn't great at 154, no. It's still Shane Mosley, though. Beating him in his prime wasn't an easy thing. 154 or not.

It's obviously a good win for Wright. Underdog going into it, #1 at 154 and Top P4P fighter.

Doing that, is absolutely better than betaing Kessler IMO. And I ca't see how that's not at the very least argubale.

I didn't say Oscar didn't deserve the Decision over Mosley. I'm just talking about Wright's and Calzaghe's fights respectively. Vargas, a fight in which Wright should have won, would again be better than almost anything Calzaghe did in his career.

And even if you do consider Kessler and Hopkins to be better than Wright's whole resume. It doesn't really mean much.

Ruben Carter KO1 Emile Griffith is better than anything on anyones resume in the past 20 years possibly.

Oakland Billy Smith KO of Harold Johnson is better than anyones entire resume of the last decade.

Would you say those two are heads and sholders above Wright aswell?

It still doesn't change the fact that if you consider those wins both to be better than anything Winky Wright did, his resume is still not that far behind Calzaghe's.

Both of them fought around the same amount of Top ranked opposition. And both of them fought an atleast comparable amount of actual quality opposition.

Like I said, I don't think Winky is greater. But I can't see how it isn't close.

And also like I said, I'm not a fan of Winky. I'm not trying to big him up.

Quite the opposite, really.
      I'm not quite sure beating Mosley then is quite as good as it may seem to be but yes, it's a pretty good win. Better than Kessler? Certainly debatable but I'll agree that it is (barely). But that is all Winky has. He has the win over Tito, which falls somewhere around the level of Calzaghe's win over Chris Eubank. I don't count Vargas as a win because it wasn't and I agreed with the decision. In fact, I'm not sure how that helps Winky's case. Vargas was out of shape and still managed to throw 100 punches in each of the last two rounds which, in my opinion, won him the bout in a see-saw battle. That's it. Other than that, you can count Winky's solid performances in losses - and some not so solid ie. getting dropped five times versus Vasquez.

I'm not a fan of Joe Calzaghe by any means but I think his resume is significantly better than Wright's. He holds a win over Hops that *****s Wright's career. I understand that win doesn't automatically make him better but the rest of his resume is superior to the rest of Wright's resume, if you remove Wright's best win (Mosley) as well. Using ratings isn't always a good idea. The #2 rated HW is a lot worse than the #2 rated welter. While Mullings and McKart were rated high, Mullings wasn't a better opponent than Charles Brewer. Kessler is better than both. And Calzaghe has a slew of wins over contenders on par and better than Wright's long list of opponents. Plus, Calzaghe was a top pound for pounder for years. And dominated one (weak) division for years. Heck, even head to head he wins (see: Wright's struggles with Sam Soliman). In my opinion, the difference between Calzaghe and Wright is the difference between a first ballot Hall of Famer and a fighter who may have to wait forever. Although given the recent voting trends that may not necessarily be the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
        And dominated one (weak) division for years. Heck, even head to head he wins (see: Wright's struggles with Sam Soliman).
        I hate to butt in, but I saw this comment and couldn't help myself.

Solliman threw like 5,000 punches and landed 3 the whole fight. I remember rooting for Solliman because I couldn't stand Wright at the time. I thought he was too good defensively.

But, I do have to disagree with the "Wright struggled with Soliman" thing. That's all.

Comment

• Joe and his pit pat punches!

Comment

• Originally posted by davis828 View Post
            We agree at '54... but yes, I'm talking about his resume collectively [meaning DLH at '47 when DLH was everything, despite the Trinidad fight]. '47 is where he did most of his damage but is it his fault he didn't run into stiff opposition at '35 where he dominated? On top of that, it's not like he's lost to slouches either. He's fought some good opposition himself.
            Fighting and winning are two different things though. And at 135 there was some sturdy opposition. Cesar Bazan and Stevie Johnston were pretty damn good. I agree that at 147 Mosley certainly made a name for himself with a huge win over Oscar and yet another years later versus Margarito. However, at 154 Mosley never looked good. That could've been because of the quality of opposition. But with all due respect, De La Hoya wasn't a great fighter at 154 either. And he lost to Winky, although gave a far better account in the rematch.

Comment

• Winky. He fought far better opposition.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
                I hate to butt in, but I saw this comment and couldn't help myself.

Solliman threw like 5,000 punches and landed 3 the whole fight. I remember rooting for Solliman because I couldn't stand Wright at the time. I thought he was too good defensively.

But, I do have to disagree with the "Wright struggled with Soliman" thing. That's all.
                . You're right, he threw a gajillion punches and didn't land many of them. Sounds like someone I know. Someone bigger, stronger and better. And I think Wright did struggle with Soliman, if only because of the sheer amount of punches thrown his way - and a little more than three landed lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
                  Winky fought guys in their primes and took a lot of challenges. He also fought far better opposition.
                  Lol yeah those stiff tests against Delahoya, Mayweather, and Taylor rematch....oh wait he turned those down.

Calzaghe all day. Would have handled Wright no problem as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by daggum View Post
                    wasn't calzaghe the guy who fought bums for ten straight years and then tried to redeem himself against lacy(tomato can), kessler, shot jones jr and hopkins(failed)
                    Lacy was considered the best 168lber at the time, he was a beast. Hardly anyone gave Joe a chance.

And he beat Hopkins. That argument has been beat to death. Get over it.

Do you just hang back and wait for Calzaghe threads? There's plenty of other active fighters to hate on.

Comment

• calzaghe probably has a better legacy...winky is hands down the best fighter i've seen though...in his prime he was something else...

Comment

Working...
                      X