Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steve Smoger discusses Khan-Peterson, Cotto-Margarito II stoppage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have liked Steve to speak on the Peterson's use of his elbows, forearms and head to get in close that didn't get called to attention by the ref. I respect his desire not to **** on a colleague, but honestly, after watching this fight 3 times, I get more disturbed by Peterson's liberal use of forearms and elbows to trap Kahn against the ropes.

Comment

Yup, there is pushing boxing. Like Smoger said, if he's going to work his way out sometimes it needs to be done, especially when Lamont is leading with his head.

Comment

Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
        I would have liked Steve to speak on the Peterson's use of his elbows, forearms and head to get in close that didn't get called to attention by the ref. I respect his desire not to **** on a colleague, but honestly, after watching this fight 3 times, I get more disturbed by Peterson's liberal use of forearms and elbows to trap Kahn against the ropes.
        I agree.

The more I watch that fight, the more it irks me as a fight fan.

I was actually going for Peterson, but that had to be the most disgusted (along with Agbecko vs Mares I) that I have ever been with a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by -Top Rank- View Post
          I agree.

The more I watch that fight, the more it irks me as a fight fan.

I was actually going for Peterson, but that had to be the most disgusted (along with Agbecko vs Mares I) that I have ever been with a fight.
          Agreed, the ref took what could have been a legit win from Peterson. Shame

Comment

Khan was def pushing but I wouldn't have took a point away.

Comment

It was nice that he did the interview, but it was worthless. Anyone who saw Cotto -Marg 2 knows what he was going to say, he let Cotto push Margarito the entire fight, so if he agrees with Cooper, he would be contradicting himself.

Comment

Damn.....sounds to me like Smoger is gonna let Ward cheat.

Comment

This guy is an excellent referee and will be the ref for the super six final

Comment

Exactly what I have been saying all along, anyway none of this would be an issue if you had a ref that broke the fighters up at the correct time. If they have a rematch you guys will see what happens.

Comment

look here man, it's like this, the best referees are neither seen nor heard unless there is some BLATANT fouling going on. . . HELL, technically, clinching is illegal; can you imagine how many points would be deducted, or how many fighters DQ'd? Stuff like inside grappling, pushing off, clinching/holding ARE PART OF THE GAME. . . Fighters who hold want to implement their game on the inside, and fighters who push off want to stay on the outside?

a referee has discretion, and that discretion should be used to keep the fighters SAFE, and keep the fight a nice, action fight without disturbing the ebb and flow. . .

Comment

Working...
                      X