No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Froch, Ward Agree: Winner is The Best at 168, Not Bute

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave Rado View Post
    If the title has been devalued to the point of making it meaningless then it is effectively vacant.
    It would take A LOT to happen before one can claim that the champion of the S6 holds a meaningless title.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
      Sounds like he doesn't want to fight in Oakland.
      Froch hasn't even lost yet, man. At least wait until the fight is over before you start making negative implications about Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        It would take A LOT to happen before one can claim that the champion of the S6 holds a meaningless title.
        It would simply take making it clear that they have no plans to fight Bute in the foreseeable future. If the fight isn't at least on the table by the end of 2012 the title will have become meaningless (unless Bute is the one doing the ducking but that seems more than unlikely as he's obviously very keen for it to happen - whereas Ward has already said that he is not keen for the fight to happen, according to a Dan Rafael tweet ).
        Last edited by Dave Rado; 12-18-2011, 01:46 PM.

Comment

It's only better than Bute because Bute was excluded from the Super 6. If the winner then ducks Bute indefinitely they will forfeit any right to be called a champion by anyone who gives a damn about boxing as a sport.

As for Erdei's "joke of a resume" my point was the principle of the thing. You were trying to imply that the only thing that matters is who is technically the lineal champion, and that who the champion chooses to fight is irrelevant. But you've backed down on your position when it comes to Erdei. So the principle you were claiming to support is not valid.
          I may be wrong, but Bute was not excluded from the Super Six, he declined to participate. In that case, I don't see how Ward not fighting Bute would be a duck. Ward earned the right to call himself the best Super Middleweight by committing to the tournament. Bute may be the IBF champion, but I don't think he deserves a shot at Ward without fighting Froch first.

Comment

Originally posted by beefbowl83 View Post
            I may be wrong, but Bute was not excluded from the Super Six, he declined to participate.
            You are wrong. Showtime said they excluded him.

They were never explicit about why but reading between the lines of interviews with Bute it seems likely it was mainly because he'd already signed to rematch Andrade and wasn't willing to give that fight up. (And nor should he have done, he had unfinished business to clear up.) The date of the rematch was after the date the Super 6 was due to kick off, and it seems Showtime weren't willing to hold a late place for the winner.

Another possible reason was the US-vs-Europe angle Showtime were marketing it with - a Canadian-Romanian simply didn't fit into that strategy.
            Last edited by Dave Rado; 12-18-2011, 01:43 PM.

Comment

You are wrong. Showtime said they excluded him.

They were never explicit about why but reading between the lines of interviews with Bute it seems likely it was mainly because he'd already signed to rematch Andrade and wasn't willing to give that fight up. (And nor should he have done, he had unfinished business to clear up.) The date of the rematch was after the date the Super 6 was due to kick off, and it seems Showtime weren't willing to hold a late place for the winner.

Another possible reason was the US-vs-Europe angle Showtime were marketing it with - a Canadian-Romanian simply didn't fit into that strategy.
              U.S. network needed a bigger U.S. name, thus Taylor. The Dre's made sense on that side. Sauerland was big in putting it together, that explains his guys. Froch, off Pascal and Taylor, deserved to be there more than Bute. Bute, on merit, should have been there but the business of it made sense (plus there was still skepticism because of Andrade I).

It's all working out in the long run. Hopkins WANTS Bute. So does Froch. Bute's wins will match his drawing power soon enough. Ward-Bute is coming if Bute wins out. It's worth waiting a fight or two.

Comment

Working...
              X