Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• from www.box1nginsider.com

by Johnny Walker

HEAVYWEIGHT FIGHTER OF THE YEAR: KUBRAT PULEV

“Kubrat who?,” I can hear some of you saying. Well, you won’t be saying that for much longer.
    Of all the top tier heavyweights this year, it was talented Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev (17-0, 9 KOs) who made the most progression. He took out the durable Brit Michael Sprott, then faced giant Ukrainian-born German Alexander Dimitrenko for the European heavyweight title. Dimitrenko’s sole loss going into the fight was a majority decision dropped to slick American Eddie Chambers in 2009, but Pulev gave him a thorough beating, with six-foot-seven-inch tall Dimitrenko going down and counted out from a stiff Pulev jab, no less, at the end of round eleven.

Pulev then went on to humiliate another giant, the nearly six-foot-eight inch tall undefeated Russian Alexander Ustinov, giving him a convincing beating that resulted in the bloodied challenger surrendering after a quick flurry from Pulev put him down early in round eleven.

With these dominant wins over bigger men, Pulev, himself no midget at nearly six-foot-five inches tall, has thus prepared himself well for the eventual task of facing one of the world champion Klitschko brothers. Pulev’s not a showy fighter (he saves that for his life outside of the ring –he is known as a prankster and dates sexy Bulgarian pop diva Andrea), but, with his extensive amateur experience, he is as solid as they come, his greatest strength perhaps being his ability to remain patient and calm no matter what the situation is in the ring. Unlike many others who make the journey, Pulev truly looks at home when he steps into the squared circle.

Look for Kubrat Pulev to continue his rise to the top in 2013.

HEAVYWEIGHT FIGHTER OF THE YEAR, RUNNER UP: WLADIMIR KLITSCHKO

The true world champion continued to smash all comers in 2012, and Wlad would have topped this list had he been able to find some better competition.

In retrospect, the Klitschko camp’s decision to award to title shot to Jean Marc Mormeck–a former cruiserweight who had already been knocked out by David Haye and who needed a hometown gift to get by Timur Ibragimov–counted against the champion, as the resulting fight was as big a mismatch as it seemed on paper. It’s not a stretch to say that Michael Sprott would have put up much more of a fight than the Frenchman did. It strains credulity to say that Mormeck was the best optional defense the K2 camp could come up with.

Wlad then did his job in a mandated rematch against hapless American Tony Thompson, who really looked as if he wished he were eating donuts back home instead of eating punches in Switzerland. Thompson provided far less in the way of resistance than he did in 2008 during the first match between the two men, perhaps as a result of the fact that was now 40 years old instead of 36, the champion’s current age.

Comment

• Oleg Maskaev won his farewell fight against Owen Beck today by TKO 3.

Maskaev knocked Beck down once in round one and twice in round three.

Comment

• Result from today: Solomon Haumono stopped WBC-ranked Kyotaro Fujimoto in round 5.

Joe Hanks wants to go to Europe and fight Povetkin, Fury, Price or Helenius:

http://boxingnews.com.ua/ru/novosti/...a-s-povetkinym

Manuel Charr reveals WBC World Cup tourney plans

http://www.***************.net/2012/...p-tourney.html

Heavyweight contender Manuel Charr has big goals for 2013. "I hope to get another chance to fight Vitali Klitschko for the WBC world championship," states Charr.

"I will do whatever it takes to make this fight happen. I can only hope that Vitali doesn’t retire. I heard that David Haye wants to fight him, too. Well, David, we both have the same goal – so let us find out in the ring who should have the right to challenge Klitschko. I am hereby officially challenging you for an elimination bout!“

In his first world title shot in September in Moscow Charr was stopped by a cut in the fourth round. "Vitali didn’t beat me – his doctor did it for him“, says Charr. I think David Haye said the same thing right after his fight (with Wladimir).“

'The Diamond Boy' has already checked different options to get a rematch against the older Klitschko brother. After winning the WBC Silver international championship in March, Charr added the WBC Baltic and WBC Mediterranean title to his collection of minor regional belts by knocking out tough contender Konstantin Airich in one round on December 21st.

"There are seven minor WBC belts – and I want to unify them all," says Charr. "Once I have all the 'small’ belts the only one missing will be the big green and gold title and that’s what I’m looking for.

"Another chance to secure a title shot would be winning the WBC world Cup, which is supposed to start in May. The WBC is looking for eight contenders for the World Cup and I am honoured to be on the shortlist. The winner of the tournament will become the mandatory challenger for the world championship."

The only problem is that the World Cup is scheduled for a whole year which means that Charr – in case he wins the tournament – would only be world title challenger in 2014 when Vitali Klitschko will most probably be retired. But Charr desperately wants to face Klitschko again to show the world that he can beat the best heavyweight fighter in the world.

"That’s why I am calling out David Haye," said Charr. "I am not ducking anybody and only looking for the biggest challenge out there. David, if you’re reading this, come on and fight me! I’m ready and waiting for you – let’s get it on!“

Comment

• I'd love to see some kind of super-six in the HW division; it'd mean the contenders would stop avoiding each other.

Comment

• Comment

• The BoxRec computer has put Vitali ahead of Wlaimir in their heavyweight rankings.

The reason: Vitali has defeated a top five heavyweight opponent in the past 18 months (Adamek in Sept 2011), while Wladimir had not (it's over 18 months now since he beat Haye).

Overall however, Wlad's resume is better than Vitali's.

Hopefully some of the top heavyweights will be willing to fight Wladimir in 2013 (Povetkin, Pulev, Adamek).

Comment

• Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
                The BoxRec computer has put Vitali ahead of Wlaimir in their heavyweight rankings.

The reason: Vitali has defeated a top five heavyweight opponent in the past 18 months (Adamek in Sept 2011), while Wladimir had not (it's over 18 months now since he beat Haye).

Overall however, Wlad's resume is better than Vitali's.

Hopefully some of the top heavyweights will be willing to fight Wladimir in 2013 (Povetkin, Pulev, Adamek).
                That's pretty weird.

Comment

• I'm just curious, does anyone know why Tor Hamer retired on his stool? Whether he was injured, or just decided to pack it in?

He probably wasn't winning the fight no matter what.

I'm just asking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                    I'm just curious, does anyone know why Tor Hamer retired on his stool? Whether he was injured, or just decided to pack it in?

He probably wasn't winning the fight no matter what.

I'm just asking.
                    No injury. He quit because he's a private-school educated rich kid, and he ain't bout dis life.

He fought someone challenging and cracked. Didn't like taking punches that hurt.

Embarrassing.

Comment

• Jonathan Banks - Seth Mitchell II is set for Feb 16:

http://www.allboxing.ru/archives/2013-01-01_19_09.html

Maskaev impressive in beating Beck

www.easts1deboxing.com

By Rob Smith:

Former WBC heavyweight champion Oleg Maskaev (37-7, 28 KO’s) didn’t look half bad in defeating Owen Beck (29-12, 20 KO’s) by a 3rd round TKO on Sunday night at the Sports Palace in Moscow, Russia. Maskaev put Beck down three times in the fight in stopping him in the 3rd round at 2:59.

Beck was knocked down once in the 1st and twice more in the 2nd round from big shots from Maskaev. The finisher came from a short right hand from Maskaev that put Beck down. To Beck’s credit, he did make it back to his feet but he was unable to stand without swaying from side to side and then caused the referee Viktor Panin to stop the fight.

Maskaev hadn’t fought since being stopped in the 1st round by Nagy Aguilera in December 2009. That’s a long time to go in between fighting for someone Maskaev’s age, but he looked good.

It’s unclear how far Maskaev can go in the division. He’ll have to be matched carefully for him to be able to get a title shot, because I have a feeling if they put Maskaev in with someone of decent quality, he’ll get stopped again. He’s really easy to hit and his lack of hand speed makes it easy for his opponents to flurry on him to get him out of there like Kirk Johnson and Aguilera did.

However, Maskaev has good enough power to rise up the rankings and get another title shot if they can match him the same way that other heavyweight contenders like Tyson Fury and Manuel Charr have been matched. Maskaev can beat the kinds of opposition that Charr, Fury and David Price have been fighting. That would be pretty easy for him because those three fighters have been matched with the utmost care in selecting for beatable opposition.

Comment

Working...
                      X