Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heavyweight Schedule for 2018

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthony Joshua says he is considering a number of possible opponents for his return to the ring, including Bermane Stiverne, Eric Molina and Dominic Breazeale.

The current IBF world heavyweight champion is yet to decide on an opponent for his first title defence, which will be held on June 25.

Joshua (16-0-KO16) was originally expected to defend his crown on July 9 - the same night that Tyson Fury (25-0-KO18) defends his WBA and WBO titles in a rematch with Wladimir Klitschko (64-4-KO53).

However, with many fans unhappy at the potential clash of fights, Joshua confirmed that the date would be rearranged following consultation with his promoter Eddie Hearn.

"I think Eddie did a great job, he listened to some of the fans who said 'we want AJ to fight on his own date, let [Fury] have his own date to defend his title," said Joshua.

"Eddie took that into account and we're now looking at June 25. I was happy with July 9, I would have fought on that day but we decided to shift it.

"He mentioned some opponents, some undefeated, some that have been beaten but are tough - so it's really what I want, what he wants and, most importantly, what the public want."

Some of the names touted as possible opponents for Joshua include former WBC heavyweight champion Stiverne (25-1-2-KO21) and Molina (25-3-KO19) - both of whom were recently beaten by American WBC champion Deontay Wilder, alongside unbeaten upcoming fighter Breazeale (17-0-KO15).

Joshua says he would be happy to face any of the three names mentioned, although he will wait to gauge the reaction of his fans before selecting an opponent.

"They all sound good to me," Joshua said. "We've got Stiverne who unfortunately got beat - no one likes to lose. But he's very tough and can take a beating.

"People want to see who can stand up for the 12 rounds and whether I'd get drawn into a fight.

"Molina, we saw him fight the current WBC champion [Deontay] Wilder. He rocked him and gave him some problems but Wilder managed to get him out of there. He's still a very, very dangerous opponent.

"Then we've got Breazeale who's undefeated. He's a great amateur like myself, Olympian like myself and he's making his way through the professional ranks so he's up and coming, hungry and I'm sure he wants to prove himself not as a prospect but a true contender.

"So we'll slowly leak a few names and see what works. Let's just get my first defence underway, whoever out of those three names or other names in the hat. And then look and see what the future holds."

Former WBA heavyweight champion David Haye also claimed this week that he had heard rumours that Joshua would fight Dillian Whyte (16-1-0, KO13) in a rematch later this year.

However, Joshua insists that this is not the case and that Whyte would need to become a top 15 ranked boxer in order for a rematch to be considered.

"That rumour is not even relevant, Dillian Whyte is not even ranked by the IBF," Joshua said.

"He has got a lot of building to do. Hopefully we can get him on some undercards, build him again, give him and opportunity and then hopefully get another rematch underway.

"Whatever David Haye has heard is false information and you heard it from the horse's mouth."

Joshua also confirmed that he is aiming to take two fights this calendar year. The 2012 Olympic champion says he would relish the opportunity to face Fury in an all British unification bout.

"Now I'm champ and Tyson Fury's the champ, people are saying 'when are you going to knock him out?' and I say 'soon, don't worry about that'," said Joshua.

"As I always said before 'we're coming' and when we land we're making noise so be prepared."

Fury recently claimed that he had turned up to training camp ahead of the Klitschko fight three stone overweight and Joshua joked that he would be happy to help his compatriot lose weight - if he reached out to him for help.

"I told him I've got the training tips when he's ready," joked Joshua. "He's three stone overweight - I could shed that in a month. Just reach out Tyson, I'm here."

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news...-title-defence

Comment

• Comment

• Tyson Fury is back in training ahead of his rematch with Wladimir Klitschko in Manchester on July 9.

The WBA and WBO heavyweight champion weighed in over three stone heavier than his fighting weight against Klitschko on his first day at training.

Fury tipped the scales at over 20 stone - 45lbs heavier than when he outpointed Klitschko in November to end the Ukrainian's 11-year reign as champion.

"Got a whopping 3:stone 3 pound to shed," Fury revealed on social media. "First day is going to be very hectic, it's going to be hard, the first week I anticipate will be mega hard, I'm expecting a very hard camp to be ready for July 9th."

Fury (25-0, 18KOs) promised to keep his followers updated with his battle of the bulge and urged people to join him in his quest to lose the excess weight.

"This is how it works, you train lose weight post before and after pics, we can talk it through, I'll give advice," he added before posting a picture of his lunch.

Fury later revealed his first day back at work involved 60 minutes on cross trainer, a six mile run followed by four rounds of sparing.

The 27-year-old is training alongside fellow undefeated heavyweight and cousin Hughie Fury, who faces 'Big' Fred Kassi at London's Copper Box Arena on April 30th.

Klitschko, meanwhile, is already four weeks into his training camp as he bids to regain the titles at the age of 40.

"I keep pushing forward and can't wait to get back in the ring with Fury #nowmorethanever," he posted on Instagram last month along with videos of him training.

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news...tschko-rematch

Comment

• #Tysonfury #GYPSYKING #batmanreturns

Et billede slået op af Tyson Fury (@gypsyking101) den

Comment

• The heavyweight champion of the world is trying to get back in shape:

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Former heavyweight champion Shannon Briggs, who has been trolling for a big payday for the past few years, might actually get one.

The 44-year-old Briggs (59-6-1, 52 KOs) borderline stalked Wladimir Klitschko to get a fight and the constant cries of "Let's go, champ" were everywhere, but he couldn't land a fight with him. He couldn't entice Deontay Wilder into fight him either. But he just might get a chance against former titlist David Haye.

Briggs crashed Haye's recent news conference when he announced a May 21 fight at London's O2 Arena against Arnold Gjergjaj. Naturally, Briggs went wild with his "Let's go, champ" chant.

While Briggs' antics did not result in getting a fight with Haye immediately, he might land one eventually if Haye, who announced on Thursday that Briggs would appear on the undercard, is a man of his word.

"For all his brainless yelling, 'The Cannon' Briggs brings a wealth of experience," Haye said. "He has shared the ring with champions such as George Foreman, Lennox Lewis and Vitali Klitschko. The public wants to see him fight, and with his opponent being announced next week, this is not one to be missed.

"I have promised if he wins his fight on May 21, I will fight him later this year. Trust me, if he does step in the ring with me, he is going to regret ever landing at Heathrow."

Haye (27-2, 25 KOs) ended a 3½-year layoff with a first-round knockout of Mark de Mori on Jan. 16. The fight with the equally obscure Gjergjaj (29-0, 21 KOs) will be his second fight on his comeback with Briggs perhaps looming next if they both win.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/p...him-if-he-wins

Comment

• Heavyweight Dereck Chisora ​​pulled no punches when discussing his May 7 clash with Kubrat Pulev in Hamburg, Germany. The bout will be for the vacant European heavyweight and also serve as an IBF eliminator.

“I just got back from California where I had a fantastic training camp and perfect sparring partners. I look forward to this fight. I think I’m going to knock out Pulev!” stated Chisora, who was just getting started.

​​”Pulev was always protected. His opponents were scrap, his fight record is ridiculous – and against Wladimir Klitschko, he was beaten up very badly. Pulev has no idea how to fight. I’m not worried. I’m telling you. He has boxed only ****-opponents. The best of them was Tony Thompson (laughs)! I’ve boxed Haye, Fury and Vitali Klitschko. On May 7, he’ll be surprised. This will not turn out well for him.” he said to Fightnews.

Comment

• Tyson Fury needs to lose over 40lbs for Klitschko fight Fury is confident that he’ll be able to burn the blubber off his pear-shaped body by the time the fight takes place in 11 weeks from now, but he might not be able to do it without draining himself.

11 weeks is like Marine Corp boot camp for Fury, and that’s an awful lot of weight to take off.

The smart thing for Fury to do would have been to stay in the gym and keep in condition because he knew he had a rematch with Wladimir that he needed to take care of.

Now he’s got to sweat and suffer to try and get all that lard off in time for his rematch against Wlaidmir on July 9, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Fury is still carrying around some stubborn fat attacked to his waist when he gets inside the ring with an in shape and finely tuned Wladimir.

http://thelastfight.com/news/tyson-f...itschko-fight/

Comment

Working...
                      X