Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a Cotto win over Margarito make up for the Year of the Mexican, for PR?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a Cotto win over Margarito make up for the Year of the Mexican, for PR?

I honestly thought Cintron would put up a good/better fight, and it would have been the better of the shortcummings this year from PR. I seriously believed - That would be the fight to get PR out of this funk.

But it wasn't, and now we're almost there. Less than one week away. The last significant Mexico/PR fight of the year, and the last chance to end the year on a low/high note for each respective country (yes, I'm aware PR is not a country, but you get it).

So the question is, as posted. Will it make up for 2011? Will you just disregard this year and call the Mexican the loser if Tony can't do it? Or will you say good fight, see you next year to return the favor!

I know we all can't wait...

Nope......

not even close

Calderon, Lopez (undefeated), Vasquez jr (undefeated), Cintron> Margarito

not to meniton their lesser prospects that got their 0's taken away aswell.

a win over Margarito won't make up for it...they all lost by KO
    Last edited by LeG00N; 11-29-2011, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Mexico has passed PR(actually lapped them a few times) and the distance is only growing. PR needs a couple of elite fighters, I still believe Juanma is one but after that the cupboard is bare

Comment

I don't care how ppl judge things this year with other fights but THIS fight is HUGE.It certifies and puts a 3 year battle at rest.No other previous fight comes close in terms of this.Everything from a sold out crowd,FOTY,possibly a ppv leading match,a rivalry boiling for 3 years,its actually going to live to its expectations.This is as close of a legitimate ppv can get.A win can get things started back up again.

Comment

Definitely not, Puerto Rico has a WAYS to go. Not only have we lost so many recently, but their aged veterans are beating our promising up and comers.

Arce and Salido were afterthoughts and they more or less dominated two of our young champions and knocked them out.

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
            Definitely not, Puerto Rico has a WAYS to go. Not only have we lost so many recently, but their aged veterans are beating our promising up and comers.

Arce and Salido were afterthoughts and they more or less dominated two of our young champions and knocked them out.
            Its in the water/juice that there drinking.. After want Margacheato did you have to check all Mexican fighters now.. It's Unfortunate but it has to be done to keep some sort of boxing integrity in the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by PRPOWERPUNCHES View Post
              Its in the water/juice that there drinking.. After want Margacheato did you have to check all Mexican fighters now.. It's Unfortunate but it has to be done to keep some sort of boxing integrity in the sport.
              Sounds like a lame, baseless excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
                Sounds like a lame, baseless excuse.
                I agree, and I'm Puerto Rican.

I didn't expect Arce to beat Vasquez, but I KNEW Salido was flying under everyone's radar in the López fight.

Facts about Salido going into that fight:

Hadn't been stopped in SEVERAL years
                Had beaten Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero before getting the decision overturned for a failed drug test
                Had KO'd Rogers Mtagwa in five rounds, same guy who almost knocked López out
                Had gone the distance with Gamboa
                Had gone the distance with Juan Manuel Márquez

I knew some of these facts at the time, but not ALL of them. If I had known that, I would've considered Juanma the underdog. I shake my head when people say that Juanma lost to a journeyman.

Comment

Hell no, it's just 1 win. Mexico has sonned Rico this year. But it's the way of things. PR will get their shine at some point. Maybe it will start with the 3rd. I'm not really sure how many Mexicans actually support Margarito though. They're a proud race, I'm sure their are some who recognize Margarito as a bad example of their otherwise excellent boxing pedigree.

Comment

Not at all, but its certainly a good consolation prize.

Comment

Working...
                    X