Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Pacquiao-Marquez III the biggest backfiring cherry pick in history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah anytime your fighting a 38 old lightweight and your the p4p number 1 / #1 welterweight in the world and win by majority draw its a backfired cherry pick. roach said it best to floyd after he beat juan in 09. congrats you beat the best lightweight in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Ivey View Post
      Are you blind? It's a blatant cherry pick, there's a reason why they made him go up in weight. Do you remember when they constantly refused to give Marquez the 3rd match with Manny saying "Business is over" in regards to Marquez? If business is over its awfully convenient for them to pick a 38 yr old with much wear and tear moving up in weight. Please... I bet you being on Arum's ball sack didn't think Mosley was a cherry pick either rofl....
      I stated prior to the fight that Marquez is a better fighter than Bradley and Berto.

Speaking of Bradley I have stated that he doesn't have the power to keep Manny off of him, and would steam roll him. Roach,Ariza and others have shared similar opinion, but if Manny were to face him....would you consider that a cherry pick?

Also If not Marquez, who could Manny have faced that wouldn't be considered a cherry pick (not including Floyd)?

Face Berto who looked like **** against Ortiz?
      Martinez at a 150lb catchweight.....something I know you would flame him for and consider a cherry pick?

I mean the whole point of Cherrypicking is choosing an easy opponent when a tougher one is out there. I just don't see who else Manny could have fought at the time.
      Mar

Comment

Originally posted by -Top Rank- View Post
        I stated prior to the fight that Marquez is a better fighter than Bradley and Berto.

Speaking of Bradley I have stated that he doesn't have the power to keep Manny off of him, and would steam roll him. Roach,Ariza and others have shared similar opinion, but if Manny were to face him....would you consider that a cherry pick?

Also If not Marquez, who could Manny have faced that wouldn't be considered a cherry pick (not including Floyd)?

Face Berto who looked like **** against Ortiz?
        Martinez at a 150lb catchweight.....something I know you would flame him for and consider a cherry pick?

I mean the whole point of Cherrypicking is choosing an easy opponent when a tougher one is out there. I just don't see who else Manny could have fought at the time.
        Mar
        he could have fought a welterweight title holder. or mike jones. he could fight a sw title holder at another catchweight.

Comment

Originally posted by willybullet View Post
          I'd say yes, because of the magnitude of the fight Pac had ahead of him with Mayweather. As someone had said before, a lot of people were on the fence on who would win between Pac and May before this fight with Marquez. Now many of those people are going with Mayweather. That may or may not be true because styles make fights, but the result of Pac JMM 3 has taken a lot of the intrigue from Pac/May. Even worse, it appears to have made Arum even more reluctant to try and make that fight.

couldnt have said it better myself, because this fight backfired and exposed pacs lack of skills and mental toughness. without even having the fight everyone knows who will win now between may and pac. BUT i still wanna see it lol roach will throw in the towel to save manny or manny will quit. because floyd will take see bob arum when he looks at manny!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sin City View Post
            NO... we've seen fireworks when both have stepped inside the ring before. we've seen that both could give and take from one another and make an excellent fight.

If anything it was foolish of us to think that it would be anything other than a great fight.
            Yes we had seen fireworks in the following:

2004 with 30yo JMM being challenged for his 126lb belt
            2008 with 34yo JMM being challenged for his 130lb belt
            2011 with 38yo JMM being challenged for his 135lb belt
            .... no wait it was the other way around, JMM challenging Pac for his 147lb belt.

Lets face it the fight was designed by Pacquiao & co as a cherry pick. I think Arum knows his business better than the common citizen. If you guys think Arum woke up one day and said to himself: "Hey Bob lets go ahead and make Pacquiao-Marquez III. Its going to be a great fight for the fans and will be a really competitive battle. That way it will take some luster off my cash cow."

If you think that is what happened one morning with the Bobfather. Then I have a spaceship in my garage id like to sell you.

Comment

Originally posted by -Top Rank- View Post
              Too many people to quote, but in reference to what Freddie, Alex and Arum stated prior to the fight:

Let's be realistic for a second....outside of Arum, those guys trash every one of Manny's upcoming opponents.

Hell If Manny was facing Jesus, those clown would talk about how he was shot and showed no heart by not getting up after being crucified.
              They didn't talk bad about Mosley or Clottey.

Everyone else, they just said the truth about, or in this case with Marquez, what they thought was the truth.

Comment

People ask, who could Manny have fought instead of Floyd, that wouldn't have been a cherry pick? Ummmm, he could've accepted OST and fought Floyd like everyone else has.

But, oh wait.... I get Team Arum/Pacamaniac's logic now.

Team Arum: Manny will fight anyone that doesn't ask for OSDT. Well, unless your name is Sergio Martinez of course. If that's the case, you'll have to fight at catchweights like everyone else.
                Last edited by BoxingGenius27; 11-20-2011, 04:24 PM.

Comment

it really might have been. The expectation was that they blow Marquez out of the water and hold all the cards for May v Pac negotiations.

Instead Manny looked like crap and got a gift, he was booed off the stage, dropped from #1p4p on some lists, and now his promoter won't even talk about fighting Floyd Mayweather.

ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                    Um, Tyson-Douglas.

Thread.
                    This is probably the biggest backfiring cherry pick in my lifetime. Evander Holyfield was right around the corner yet Iron Mike gave Buster Douglas for a supposed easy pay day. No one gave Buster Douglas a chance.

For Pacquiao vs Marquez 3, the majority of Pacquiao Fans thought that Marquez was a dangerous and credible opponent. We had two fights on the indicator of how the fight will play out. However, the media and Pacquiao haters were dismissing this fight outright. They were expecting domination, Marquez was too small, i'm not excited about this fight, the *******s are just hyping up the fight, etc.

Only haters and those delusional about Pacquiao's skills think this was a cherry pick.

Comment

are you on crack? how was marquez a cherry pick being the #5 in the world?

Comment

Working...
                      X