No announcement yet.

Miguel Cotto: Man or Mouse?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
    Cotto is a warrior, but the fact is there are different levels of warrior. He isn't willing to die in the ring which means there is some "give" in him. Margarito on the other hand IS willing to die and you can't break him. That being said, it isn't like Cotto is a p*ssy like Zab Judah who got "low blowed" and quit or I think it was Kendall Holt who had a slight cut over his eyebrow, no bleeding and quit after 4 rounds.

Cotto not a warrior... watch him against Judah, Clottey and Torres and tell that. Really, they both have good points like Marg pointed out in Taylor vs Chavez a KO can come at any time. Cotto is also right when he felt there was nothing he could do against Marg to win that fight, and can you blame him? Cotto landed the best shots I've ever seen him land (especially that last left at the end of round 2) and Marg just smiles at him while getting pummeled. No need to take another 3+ minutes if you don't feel you can win. That beings said I prefer my fighters with Marg's train of thought, the corner should be there to protect the fighter IMO.
    Agreed. I think Cotto is the type who will quit only when he feels theres no chance versus Margarito whose all in is given no matter the circumstances
    Last edited by Shogunofharlem1; 11-18-2011, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Cotto is a warrior, but the fact is there are different levels of warrior. He isn't willing to die in the ring which means there is some "give" in him. Margarito on the other hand IS willing to die and you can't break him. That being said, it isn't like Cotto is a p*ssy like Zab Judah who got "low blowed" and quit or I think it was Kendall Holt who had a slight cut over his eyebrow, no bleeding and quit after 4 rounds.

Cotto not a warrior... watch him against Judah, Clottey and Torres and tell that. Really, they both have good points like Marg pointed out in Taylor vs Chavez a KO can come at any time. Cotto is also right when he felt there was nothing he could do against Marg to win that fight, and can you blame him? Cotto landed the best shots I've ever seen him land (especially that last left at the end of round 2) and Marg just smiles at him while getting pummeled. No need to take another 3+ minutes if you don't feel you can win. That beings said I prefer my fighters with Marg's train of thought, the corner should be there to protect the fighter IMO.
      Excellent post and I agree 100%. I really like and respect Cotto. He's twice the boxer Marg is no doubt but sometimes that's not enough to win. Sometimes heart, will, chin and effort wins out over skill as we have seen Marg do on many occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
        Excellent post and I agree 100%. I really like and respect Cotto. He's twice the boxer Marg is no doubt but sometimes that's not enough to win. Sometimes heart, will, chin and effort wins out over skill as we have seen Marg do on many occasions.
        Yea definitely, I agree with the post too.

I'm just seeing some people hear Cotto's comments and group him in with like Ortiz, Holt, and Judah like beater mentioned, and to me that's grossly unfair.

Cotto may not have in him what Margarito does, but the guy has fought hurt and cut up so many times and fought his a$$ off. He's not Margarito but the guy has a lot of heart and shouldn't be labled as a quitter or mentally weak.

There aren't all that many Margarito's around.

Comment

I can almost see it now... 5 years after Cotto loss, margarito is wearing diapers, all for being a Face First warrior... very sad.

Comment

Bravo sir great post

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
              This is the most ridiculous comparison I have yet to read in this subject. So you equated the toughness of a boxer with the foolishness of wanting to join a gang?

Good lord you are a simple minded kid. Kids join gangs for many different reasons, not just wanting to be "down"...lol

Second, it's a cultural thing and a 3rd world thing that you don't get. Marg, Chavez, Gatti, Ward, Marquez have all said they are willing to die in the ring not because they are wanting to be tough, it's because they give everything they are in that ring and are a product of their tough environments.

When you come from a 3rd world country and struggle and are hungry the way a lot of these fighters are, it's do or die in that ring. Chavez talked about how he and Jose Luis Ramirez were literally fighting for money enough to feed their families for that month.

That's why he fought every month, not because he was trying to pad his record but he was trying to eat....
              So you lack basic reading comprehension skills?

Let me make it simple for you to digest:

The SAME weakness that predisposes a "tough guy" to wanna PLEASE the masses and join a gang to prove his "bad ass" is perhaps the SAME mechanism that causes an idiot like Margarito to wanna die in the ring to prove how bad ass he is to the people. Same sht... risking it ALL to prove something to people who don't give a shet about you. At the end of the day... just like Macho gangbanger guy, it is fackin FOOLISH and NOBODY is fooled into thinking it's tough but rather STUPID in BOTH cases.

Comment

Working...
              X