The Fight of the Century vs. The Thrilla in Manila

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gopi11 View Post
    I would be very biased, because I was there at the "Thrilla in Manila"
    and have witnessed the 14 round war with my own two eyes...
    i'm jealous.

Comment

The Thrilla in Manila is basically the first fight I ever watched and I have yet to see a better fight. This to me is the best fight I've ever seen.

Comment

Truly a fight of the century

Originally posted by PED User View Post
        RIP Joe Frazier.

Which was the better of these two classics?
        I just watched the highlights of the first fight from your link, because I already saw "Thrilla in Manila" when I was kid.

Those guys were throwing bombs, ducking, weaving, jabbing. That was a really good fight. What a contrast from the heavyweight fights today.

Comment

Originally posted by calmdown View Post
          i'm jealous.

I just turned 15 a week before the fight and my mom gave me a nosebleed ticket as my birthday gift. The sweet science of boxing got me hooked early in life when a boxer moved in in our neighborhood back in the late 60s. He became a world champ a couple of years later and fought the best there is in his division. He fought the likes of Susumu Hanagata, Betulio Gonzalez, Venice Borkhorsor and the likes. He's Erbito "Eddie" Salavarria...

Comment

I was to young back then to care about boxing, but I do remember all the comotion going on in Manila, everything and everyone's focus is on the fight, radio, TV, any man on the street you will hear them talking about ali and fraizer, as I grew older and my dad watching replays of fights of Ali, Foreman and Fraizer telling me stories about them I just realized what "Thrilla in Manila" was all about ...

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
              Definitely Thrilla in Manilla.

I just watched the Doc "The Closest Thing to Dying" about the the 3rd fight and its simply a classic

From a thought to be "shot" Frazier to him being blind in 1 eye, to the 113 degree weather in Manilla and to the simple hatred between these 2 guys. Not to mention the flat out war, where it was a miracle how either fighter was standing
              can you post a link of that DOC?

Comment

Def the third one, one thing you can see tho compared to pre banned Ali, he used to be in better condition, quicker on his feet and in the ring. cant help but think he would have won the first fight has he been at his best

Comment

FOTC no doubt in my mind.

Comment

Fight of the century no doubt, they were much closer to their primes and the quality of fighting was better, it was more action packed. I have yet to see a better heavyweight fight that Fight of the Century

Comment

FOTC was closer i think. Plus Joe was at his best.

I need to watch Thrilla again.

Comment

Working...
                      X