Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Does Ali Get Credit For Beating a Shot Frazier?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ali did make some racist comments in his fighting days. . . but everything he said was PRE PLANNED and well thought. . . he played a role. . . like that one guy said in thrilla in manilla: "Ali never worked a day in his life other than at being himself." While it's no excuse, he did basically recant all his old statements. . . But he NEVER actually had any kind of hateful feelings towards white people. . . Lots of people who actually were racist have redeemed themselves. . . That's what life is about. . .

as far as frazier being shot, well, i'd have to say he definitely wasn't the same frazier that fought ali the first time, but there is a difference from being completely shot and shop worn; frazier was definitely the latter. . . George Foreman was just Frazier's Kryptonite. . .

Comment

The funny thing is Ali in 1975 was a lot further away in terms of everything (bar his chin) from the Ali of 1966-7 than the Frazier of 1975 was from 1971. Ali had lost a considerable amount of stamina and speed, his footwork was poor compared to his prime, he still had solid handspeed but nothing compared to his peak (compare it like RJJ now to RJJ of the 90s).

I am sad that Frazier has died, he truly was a boxing icon something many boxers should aspire to be. He was a really hardworker, who albeit wasn't the most naturally gifted he made the best with what he had and with pure determination he beat an Ali while not being prime (this isn't disputed tbh) sure but still a solid Ali who could have beaten anyone else currently around then.

His first and last fights with Ali was some of the best fights of all time. One of the few examples where a fight lived upto the hype.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Very true. But I'd take that version of Frazier over almost any fighter in history.
        Yeah, you're not going to find many fighters that could handle Frazier that night. So fierce and tough and relentless. Amazing fighter.

Comment

Working...
        X