Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Merchant's Take on Saul Alvarez-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Merchant's Take on Saul Alvarez-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

As reported by various media outlets over the past few weeks, Top Rank CEO Bob Arum appears to be very keen on matching up WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. against WBC junior middleweight kingpin Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez around the first quarter of 2012. While there was controversy surrounding how both Alvarez and Chavez won their respective belts, the fact remains that this would be an extremely high-profile fight, especially in each man’s native Mexico.

[Click Here To Read More]

2 hypejobs, going at it.

Obviously Canelo is far better skilled and Chavwz is stronger with a better chin

Comment

I agree with Larry's last comment. Boxing is entertainment. We can love the sweet science all we want, but boring is boring. Gatti and Ward were not great fighters, they were B level fighters at the most, but they were fun to watch. And that is why i tune in to boxing, to be entertained. Not to watch some ultra talented fighter bore the hell out of me.

Also, the sweet science does not have to be boring. For some reason there are people out there who watch Bernard Hopkins and say, "Wow, that's the sweet science."

Hopkins is one of the most accomplished fighters we've had in the past 10 years, and yes, he does have tremendous technique and smarts, and yes, he his boring as hell.

But Sugar Ray Leonard and Ray Robinson, Duran, Arguello, and many, many other also practiced great technique, and they weren't boring.

Comment

Top Rank Finally Read the Writing on the Wall!

Top Rank CEO Bob Arum see's that Alvarez has become what he wanted Junior to be. But Junior was no Julio Cesar Chavez. He does good numbers back home, but he doesn’t have the mustard to steal the hearts of American boxing fans, especially the casual fan. "Chavez!"—the name itself and Junior’s lackluster fights and mediocre talent defeated this prospect. He’s a B- level fighter at best. And with the doping problems, training problems, and big ego fed on a diet of journeyman, it has proven to be his downfall. So go ahead Bob. Rent an arena and feed Cesar to the young, redheaded lion.

Comment

*crossover star* has a whole new meaning when it is used in a sentence with DLH

Comment

What surprises me the most is some people actually defend Jr. and think he is good. The guy is mediocre, what do people see in him or are they blinded by his last name?

Comment

MAKE THE FIGHT!! Both are in similar situations, in that they were pretty much handed their belts, by the WBC. They may not be legit champions at their weights, but its a good fight and they should make it before someone gets beat. Like what happened with the proposed Gamboa vs Lopez match.

Comment

great read. both guys might not be fully proven, but i can almost guarantee this fight will be exciting. really wished both guys would try and fight the best in their division, but with chavez' lack of skills and discipline i don't see him holding that belt for much longer. might as well cash out or make some huge $$$ while you can.

Comment

Originally posted by AHUEVO View Post
                  What surprises me the most is some people actually defend Jr. and think he is good. The guy is mediocre, what do people see in him or are they blinded by his last name?
                  who are these people cause i hardly see anyone actually even talking about his azz

Comment

Originally posted by LAFIRPO View Post
                    I agree with Larry's last comment. Boxing is entertainment. We can love the sweet science all we want, but boring is boring. Gatti and Ward were not great fighters, they were B level fighters at the most, but they were fun to watch. And that is why i tune in to boxing, to be entertained. Not to watch some ultra talented fighter bore the hell out of me.

Also, the sweet science does not have to be boring. For some reason there are people out there who watch Bernard Hopkins and say, "Wow, that's the sweet science."

Hopkins is one of the most accomplished fighters we've had in the past 10 years, and yes, he does have tremendous technique and smarts, and yes, he his boring as hell.

But Sugar Ray Leonard and Ray Robinson, Duran, Arguello, and many, many other also practiced great technique, and they weren't boring.
                    and the great ali/clay did show us a classic combination of very exciting fights and technical ones that border on boring to some people...

Comment

Working...
                    X