No announcement yet.

Man, i miss old school boxers mentallity

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
    That's not the "old school" mentality though.
    At this stage, our best bet is getting as close as possible to the old school mentality. It's just not realistic to expect these guys to go full blown old school. I'd be happy if certain guys were old school just once a year.. Or once every 2 years! Super 6 tournament forced guys to act like this. Not surprisingly, at times people still found ways to be "new school" even in the confines of the tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by MindBat View Post
      Forget Old School Era. This is a new era.

The Duck Era

New School is the sh**, you get to follow a fighter around his house and gawk at his expensive stuff. You get to follow political careers. Old school getting pwned big time!!..

Comment

HBO and Showtime created the 'new school'

People want to see fighters bang. No one is down to see the sweet science.

It's not smart to go out swinging and get your brain smashed around just to get paid... The number one rule in boxing, protect yourself at all times. Old school boxers understood that rule better than anyone.

So in the new school you see bangers like Ortiz, Berto, Maidana, Pacquiao, on and on and on. More and more sluggers each day.

But pure classic boxers are getting more rare.

So i really thing the 'old school' is a style of fighting rather than ducking and dodging.

ALTHOUGH i do agree that back then fighters fought everyone, and there is more dodging today (it's probably because of money)

Comment

Originally posted by DrewWoodside View Post
          New School is the sh**, you get to follow a fighter around his house and gawk at his expensive stuff. You get to follow political careers. Old school getting pwned big time!!..
          Touche! I knew that was coming, Drew. I thought "what the heck".

Comment

Originally posted by PureBoxingCEO View Post
            But who was Dawson back then? He was the same unknown fighter like today Tavoris Cloud is. Hopkins waited for Dawson to get more recognition, and now Dawson really is a more known fighter after the Pascal fight. Now he deserves to be decapited by the Executioner.

C'mon son... that sounds "NEW SCHOOL" to me. That's not "OLD SCHOOL" at all.

Comment

Originally posted by retnuocllup View Post

C'mon son... that sounds "NEW SCHOOL" to me. That's not "OLD SCHOOL" at all.
              Here is the thing. Dawson was busy 2 years ago fighting 2 old @ss Hopkins leftovers with Johnson and Tarver twice each one. After that Hopkins prepared a rematch with Roy Jones to avenge his unique real loss and ending their rivalry, and Dawson was preparing for Pascal, who beat him. Later Hopkins went to Canada twice to get robbed the 1st time and in the 2nd time judges finally got it right, and Hopkins beat Pascal at 46 while Dawson LOST to Pascal at 28.. Here is my point, Dawson was fighting Hopkins leftover while calling Hopkins, and Hopkins beat the guy who Dawson looked foolish against. And now Hopkins will give the beating Dawson was asking for 2 years. Thats maybe not old school, but it is the most close you can get it nowadays.

Comment

The "old school mentality" didn't brag threaten boast or glorigy themselves usually. Their job was just boxing.

Comment

True, but it still proves hopkins really had no intention of ducking anyone ,he just wanted a lucrative deal. had Dawson became someone and THEN he ducked him, we'd have an argument. To be fair though, I don't think Dawsons stock rised at all to the public.. i think his team is just willing to throw more money out there because of the Pascal loss.. they now feel some urgency to get him a big win.

Comment

I hate that money and greed have ruined this sport. People need to realize though that fighters from the past did duck others as well like they do now.

Jack Johnson for example, after winning a championship he never wanted to face another black challenger. Only whites.

Edit: my bad, some did duck but not as it is today. I made a mistake.
                    Last edited by Mr. Fantastic; 10-11-2011, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Old School Mentality = the FANS picked your next opponent

New School Mentality = the PROMOTERS pick your next opponent

Comment

Working...
                      X