No announcement yet.

Klitschko camp claims David Haye could fight again

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klitschko camp claims David Haye could fight again

David haye has not officially retired yet so, i do not know why the boxing world is going crazy over his so called retirement......news just come through on bbc.co.uk/sport

Vitali Klitschko's promoter claims a fight with David Haye is still a possibility despite the news that the Briton does not want to renew his boxing licence.

Bernd Boente told BBC Radio 5 live that he has been in talks with Haye's trainer, Adam Booth, about a possible bout next year.

Haye, a former WBA heavyweight champion, informed the British Boxing Board of Control of his intentions to retire by email.

The Londoner, who celebrates his 31st birthday on Thursday, has always said he will not fight on past the age of 30.

His last fight was against Klitschko's younger brother, Wladimir, on 2 July, when he lost his WBA title in Hamburg.

Haye was beaten convincingly on points by the WBO, IBF and IBO champion, although he claimed afterwards his performance had been hampered by a broken toe.

The former cruiserweight king won the WBA belt by beating giant Russian Nikolay Valuev on points in Germany in November 2009.

Haye, who has lost only twice in 27 professional bouts, then defended his title by stopping American John Ruiz at the MEN Arena the following April.

Haye also defended his title against fellow Brit Audley Harrison with a devastating third-round stoppage, also in Manchester.

More to follow.
    My personal view is that there is NO OTHER heavyweight out there who can challenge the kiltchko's apart from maybe povetkin. I believe that if enough money will be offered (which i think there will be, considering the personal feud between haye and klitschko, i can see a fight happening between both these dudes.

Another interview with klitchko representatives came through on sky sports.

The Klitschkos' promoter Bernd Boente has told Sky Sports News that a fight between Vitali and David Haye is still very much on.

Boente revealed that negotiations are in progress and he had spoken to Haye's promoter Adam Booth "five minutes ago".

Boente insists that although Haye is set to announce his retirement on his 31st birthday on Thursday, the British former world WBA heavyweight champion would fight again if a contest against Vitali could be arranged.

Boente suggested the fight would take place in February or March in a football stadium in Germany.

Asked what are the chances of the fight taking place, Boente replied: "If the business case is realistic for both fighters - 100 per cent."

Haye lost his WBA title on points in a unification fight against WBO and IBF champion Wladimir Klitschko in July.

Haye has long insisted that he would not fight on past his 31st birthday and British Boxing Board of Control secretary Robert Smith told The Sun on Tuesday that the 'Hayemaker' had informed him that he would not be fighting again.

However, the latest development suggests that Haye is prepared to postpone his retirement in order to take on WBC champion Vitali - if a deal for the fight can be agreed.

Boente told Sky Sports News: "David Haye's manager Adam Booth always told me that he will officially retire on Thursday... but that he would definitely come back if there is a fight against Vitali or a rematch against Wladimir. So this option is still there.

Constant contact
    "Adam and myself actually just spoke with each other and we are in constant contact. We are still waiting for some numbers from British TV and then we'll see if the business case is realistic and then we will do the fight or Vitali will fight another opponent in February or March next year.

"A re-match with Wladimir makes no sense because there are no questions after the first fight and you can only promote a fight if there is a certain thrill.

"But against Vitali it's different. Vitali has a totally different style. Vitali said after the fight (in July) he wants to finish what his brother didn't do, meaning knock out David Haye and David said he likes Vitali's style, that would fit him more."

Comment

I hope it's not another hostage game put up by David Haye.

Comment

Working...
      X