Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your thoughts on nine 4-minute rounds as opposed to twelve 3-minute rounds?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they should be able to extend a 12 round match by 3x2 rounds, if both corners agreed to it (that would be nice in a situation where nobody is sure of the winner). I could find a few recent fights where an extension like that could prove useful.

Comment

Originally posted by chav View Post
      9 x 4 minute rounds would give us the snoozefest that can be MMA when they all clinch and cuddle for 3.5 mins of every round.

I would prefer 15 x 2.5 minute rounds of hard fast action rather then 9x 4 minute rounds personally.
      I like the idea of more rounds with a shorter round duration. I say 15, 2 minute rounds with 45 seconds between rounds. guys used to be able to go 15 rds, they should still be able to do it today.

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderWolf View Post
        15 rounds was reduced to 12 because more boxers died or had permanent damage beyond 12 rounds.
        Upgrading 12 rounds to 4 minutes each would be like adding 12 minutes to the entire fight, therefore, bringing it back to an equivalent of a 16-round fight, with less rest time.

So I highly doubt that this game will revert to such worst status.
        that statement is absolutely false, and other than rhetoric there is nothing to substantiate that claim.

given the fact that 15 round fights only represented a small percentage of total fights per year, as the 15 round distance was reserved only for world title fights for the major titles, (wba, wbc, and ibf).

scroll down to table 6 in prder to see the deaths by round totals. the totals don even come close to supporting your statements.
        http://ejmas.com/jcs/jcsart_svinth_a_0700.htm

Comment

12 rounds started in the 80s... it was a cherrypick demand by SRL to fight hagler

Comment

Originally posted by texasboi15 View Post
            Before some of you call me crazy may I remind you boxing has evolved from unlimited rounds to 15 rounds to present day 12.

My point is boxing continues to evolve thus no format is etched in stone.

That being said do you think 12 three-minute rounds is the best format for boxing?

Do you see boxing changing its format in the future?

What are your thoughts on perhaps nine 4-minute rounds?
            I do not beleive one fighter in the game todaycan even spar 9 min rounds and if they do theres alot of dead spots in those 9 mins.
            at our club we spar 4 min rounds with 30 second rest periods and even that is tuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderWolf View Post
              15 rounds was reduced to 12 because more boxers died or had permanent damage beyond 12 rounds.
              INCORRECT!!!!

Originally posted by istmeno View Post
              that statement is absolutely false, and other than rhetoric there is nothing to substantiate that claim.

given the fact that 15 round fights only represented a small percentage of total fights per year, as the 15 round distance was reserved only for world title fights for the major titles, (wba, wbc, and ibf).

scroll down to table 6 in prder to see the deaths by round totals. the totals don even come close to supporting your statements.
              http://ejmas.com/jcs/jcsart_svinth_a_0700.htm
              CORRECT ... The quoted statement is INCORRECT

Originally posted by LatinKing416 View Post
              12 rounds started in the 80s... it was a cherrypick demand by SRL to fight hagler
              INCORRECT!!!!

I'm surprised no old school boxing fans have commented on this yet ...

Believe it or not: The 15 round fight format was changed to 12 rounds to allow more sponsorship commercials. This was during the Wide World of Sports era when fight were common place on regular TV. At that time PPV's were rare to non-existent, so the TV stations\channels decided to reduce the fight to 12 rounds so that more commercials could be shown during the fight which would equal more revenue. The Boxing Commission & Promoters agreed because they in turn received more money from the stations, which could be used to produce better events.

Money dictates everything!!!!!!!

I hate quoting freakin wiki but it does illustrate the point:

Lotierzo also argues that part of the motivation for a 12-round limit was not so much for safety, but to allow the matches to appear on network television.[2] Previously, the timing of boxing involved 15 three-minute rounds with 14 one-minute intervals between each round, the preamble, and post-fight interviews—requiring around 70–75 minutes; in contrast, a 12-round bout lasts 47 minutes, which fits neatly into a one-hour time slot when pre- and post-fight programming and commercials are added in.[16]

Nonetheless, it has been noted that these rule changes have made certain kinds of boxing deaths far rarer, though boxing remains the 8th most deadly sport with 1.3 deaths per 100,000 participants.[10]
              Last edited by arraamis; 10-07-2011, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Maybe a combination of both-

Wikipedia:

The shift from a 15 round to a 12 round distance for title fights has been controversial. There have been studies which show that the brain becomes more susceptible to damage after the 12th round. Moreover, it has been argued that the 15 round distance greatly increased the risk of dehydration and exhaustion.

However, "purists" of the sport have contended that the shift from 15 rounds to 12 rounds has impacted viewership of the sport. Moreover, Frank Lotierzo, a critic of the 12-round limit, pointed out that fatalities are rare in heavyweight matches, instead attributing deaths to dehydration from the pressure of "making weight" for lower weight classes:

"In my opinion, the reason that you hardly ever see fatalities in the heavyweight division is because the big guys don't have to make weight. In many cases, fighters under 150 pounds dehydrate themselves shedding those last few pounds to make weight. This leaves them vulnerable to brain injuries with a lack a fluid around their skull protecting the brain from crashing against it when they are hit. I believe this is more of a danger than fighters fighting 15 rounds. If I'm wrong, someone please explain why we rarely see heavyweights being killed in the ring? You would think most boxing fatalities would occur in the heavyweight division since they are clearly the most powerful punchers."

Lotierzo also argues that part of the motivation for a 12-round limit was not so much for safety, but to allow the matches to appear on network television. Previously, the timing of boxing involved 15 three-minute rounds with 14 one-minute intervals between each round, the preamble, and post-fight interviews—requiring around 70–75 minutes; in contrast, a 12-round bout lasts 47 minutes, which fits neatly into a one-hour time slot when pre- and post-fight programming and commercials are added in.

Nonetheless, it has been noted that these rule changes have made certain kinds of boxing deaths far rarer, though boxing remains the 8th most deadly sport with 1.3 deaths per 100,000 participants.
                Last edited by ThunderWolf; 10-08-2011, 12:22 AM.

Comment

How about 5x5 minute rounds?

Comment

36 one min rounds would be the best.

Comment

no it would be quite bad..... what do most boxers do when they are tired they clinch and tie up so making 4 minute rds is just bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X