Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez needs to stop ducking Dmitry Pirog!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
    N'Jikam did NOT beat Martirosyan "worse" than Pirog - it was a more competitive fight.

Did you actually see both fights?
    Yes, and N'Jikam scored an emphatic knockout. That's more impressive to me...though I think you missed the sarcasm of the whole point in general.

Comment

Pirog needs to fight some one decent 1st

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
        Yes, and N'Jikam scored an emphatic knockout. That's more impressive to me...though I think you missed the sarcasm of the whole point in general.
        I think the serious boxing fans would like to see Martinez-Pirog, check this poll:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=513247

I don't understand why would don't think it would be an interesting matchup, unless you just don't like fighters from the former USSR.

Comment

I think the serious boxing fans would like to see Martinez-Pirog, check this poll:

I don't understand why would don't think it would be an interesting matchup, unless you just don't like fighters from the former USSR.
          Clearly, you just don't like Cameroon.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
            Pirog is a unique combination of power and slickness just like Serg.

Best fight at Middleweight.
            I think so too and also the one that makes most sense. However you rate the win over Jacobs, it gave him some exposure and made a few people sit up and take notice in America and thats where Sergio is fighting.

Sergio has a lot of options but the two he wants(floyd and Manny) dont look likely to happen. He could wait for the winner of the super six or go for Bute, but the noises coming from his team also make this seem unlikely at the moment.

I think he wants to be as active as possible, so it looks like he will have to keep on at MW until he either decides to move up or until the Floyd/Manny situation changes. The winner of Cotto-Margarito could be an option, but I cant see them moving up to MW. I think moving back to 154 at this stage of his career could be a mistake, but if he can get a fight with Manny or Floyd there, the purse will be worth the risk.

Comment

I think it would be a very interesting matchup.

But to say Martinez, the lineal champ, is ducking a guy whos best win is jacobs and martirosyan? Thats kind of ******ed.
              If it happens. GREAT! I'm all for it. But lets not act like Pirog have done enough to warrant (saying) the lineal champ ducking him.

Comment

Clearly, you just don't like Cameroon.
                No. I said Martinez-N'Jikam would be an interesting fight, but I don't think that one will happen either.

And I think choosing Barker over Pirog was a b1tch move.

Like other fans (according to that poll) I would prefer Sergio fight Pirog next, but he'll likely choose another less-talented opponent like Matthew Macklin.

Comment

Maravilla vs Pirog

make it happen !

Comment

Tunney:

2 simple questions:

Do you really think that the best way to put pressure on Martinez for a shot since Jacobs, a time in which Martinez picked up wins over Williams and Dzin before this last farce, was to go home a fight a couple dudes who don't really rate in the top 20?

Do you think if he'd fought some fighters above the C-level, the claim of ducking might resonate outside of the relatively tiny universe of message board hardcores?

Comment

Tunney:

2 simple questions:

Do you really think that the best way to put pressure on Martinez for a shot since Jacobs, a time in which Martinez picked up wins over Williams and Dzin before this last farce, was to go home a fight a couple dudes who don't really rate in the top 20?

Do you think if he'd fought some fighters above the C-level, the claim of ducking might resonate outside of the relatively tiny universe of message board hardcores?
                      Pirog and his management tried to get a fight in the US on HBO before finally deciding to fight Malciel. It wasn't what they wanted, and Dmitry had a hard time getting motivated for that opponent. But it's really not so easy to get better opponents to come to Russia. Where else can Dmitry draw a big crowd?

Martirosyan was Pirog's WBO mandatory, he had to get that out of the way. He's better than C- level, and better than Brian Vera, who was on HBO last night.

In every interview, including the recent boxingscene interview, Pirog has said HE WANTS TO FIGHT IN THE USA. But HBO doesn't seem to want him back on for some reason, it seems they'd sooner have less talented and less exciting fighters like Andy Lee.

Maybe there's still some lingering residue from the Cold War in some peoples' minds?

Comment

Working...
                      X