Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you rate Vitali Klitschko among ATG heavyweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Their records show wins and thats the bottom line when your an active boxer. That can't be denied by anyone however to rate the brothers in the history of boxing they would be very low on my list. I don't see anything beyond a basic jab to set up right hands. Their height is appropriately used their very awkward on their feet but they've worked hard on their movement and again their height helps because the length to their step is an advantage. They do have ring generalship and they instigate the fight.
    Their defense is their height they don't block or slip punches but that hasn't been that important because the quality of opponents punches coming at them simply hasn't been there. Their fights could be over much quicker but they don't look to finish and their caution lends to them NOT being marketable. Theres nothing exciting about their styles and I think thats just their personality or lack of one to be able to sell their fights as events. To rate them in the all time rankings is ridiculous Joe Louis would eliminate them inside of 5 rounds easily. The rest of the top heavyweights would also expose their limitations however in the present and after the Larry Holmes era I think they'd fare well. They just don't know how to market themselves and they fight scared to lose at times. Every fighter has fights were they need to take chances which usually means moving forward and pressing the actions by throwing alot of punches. The brothers don't do that until their opponents are not competing. I give them credit for winning against opponents their supposed to beat and they can't help which fighters are eligible for title fights. I think that Lenox Lewis would be a nice match for both brothers, someone who has equal height and power and who will make them move forward because if they back up their done. Come to think of it Joe Louis could fight them both in the same night and in the same fight but thats Joe Louis. The bums he was forced to fight atleast tried for a few rounds before Joe dispatched them I've seen the brothers opponents give poor efforts because their talent level and desire level is so low. I wouldn't and never have paid to see them fight they have no appeal. However they win and thats the bottom line for now maybe wait till they retire to place them on a list. Then their impressive records stand out more and have more credability. When you see film of them fight its hard to imagine them fighting credable men who were top contenders or champs. Its the old height advantage and the shorter fighters simply don't have what it takes to get inside to make the longer guy be at a disadvantage. Its as old as........boxing HA! Ray.
    Last edited by Ray Corso; 01-11-2012, 11:16 AM.

Comment

He's not an ATG anything. He is a top 25-50 HW all-time.

Comment

Originally posted by leff View Post
        head to head i could list him at 5, all in all maybe 8-9. but its a hard decision
        That seems a good estimation.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          He's not an ATG anything. He is a top 25-50 HW all-time.

his chin is pretty damn good

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            his chin is pretty damn good
            LOL that's nice.

Comment

LOL that's nice.
              well thanks for shedding light on your thoughts on it, cuddlebug

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                well thanks for shedding light on your thoughts on it, cuddlebug
                You're welcome. Glad to know he has a good chin. Still don't place him on any ATG list for heavyweights.

Comment

You're welcome. Glad to know he has a good chin. Still don't place him on any ATG list for heavyweights.
                  Think you misunderstood NE , you said he isn't an ATG anything and NE said he had a nice chin meaning he has an ATG one but there's nothing else ATG about him, don't think he was saying that he belongs on an ATG list.

Comment

lol i keep my own council on the historic esteem of a fighter.

depending on the length of said list neither do i in most instances
                    hell, he's accomplished enough to make hashing out his historical ranking difficult because of the names you have to include before him (even his brother, stopped thrice by less than historic level HW)

as glorious as it's been over the years, it's not the thickest division in the sport, and you'd be hard pressed to make an argument for 50 boxers at HW whose resume bests vitali klitscko

do i think there are 50 ATG per class, of course not
                    but he's no fighter to scoff at.

he also holds the unique distinction of being robbed of his greatest victory (a likely stoppage of his brother) because they have the same mother
                    Last edited by New England; 01-11-2012, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                      Think you misunderstood NE , you said he isn't an ATG anything and NE said he had a nice chin meaning he has an ATG one but there's nothing else ATG about him, don't think he was saying that he belongs on an ATG list.

he can sponge up some ATG leather

and i havn't caught the ouma documentary yet
                      i just havnt come across an opportunity that seemed appropriate

it's not a crash on the couch with some popcorn kind of flick i'll assume!
                      Last edited by New England; 01-11-2012, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X