No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Schaefer To Propose Tournament To HBO, Showtime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vicmatic1 View Post
    this swish banker is going some good things for the sport..more than some other promoters
    like a golden boy tournament?

Comment

This doesn't do much for me. Give me Khan/Bradley and Matthysse/Maidana on an HBO WCB and call it a day.

Comment

It Should be Khan, Mayweather, Pac, Ortiz, Maidana, Bradley, Mathyse, Mike Jones, but this will never happen

Comment

What's the point? Pacquiao and Mayweather are the two clear best, and they won't fight each other, let alone be part of a tournament.

Majority of those guys aren't even welterweights. Just call it the Golden Boy moving up to 140 contenders tournament. It definately won't be no Super 6 type tournament to determine the best at the weight.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
            Richard Schaefer, CEO for Golden Boy Promotions, is planning to approach HBO and Showtime with the idea of staging a tournament at 147-pounds. Schaefer plans to have conversations next week with HBO and Showtime, regarding a tournament involving 4 to 8 welterweight fighters.

[Click Here To Read More]
            I love tourneys, but right now at 147 ?

Comment

1: Alexander-Malignaggi

2: Berto-Zaveck II (IBF)

3: Kell Brook- Amir Khan (Brook or Khan could have the WBA title coming in to this fight if either matched against Senchenko like I think one will)

4: Maidana-Ortiz II

Winners of fights 1 and 2 fight each other, same with 3 and 4. Winners then fight each other in the final.

Hopefully Mayweather and Pacquiao fight which leaves Khan no option to get involved in this tourney.

Fights should take place in April, July and December 2012 (they'd obviously cater it towards favouring Khan, who usually fights in those months).

Khan should win this tournament but Ortiz could pull it off.

Comment

Well aside from an Ortiz rematch, there are literally no established welterweights left who even remotely deserve a shot at Pac or Floyd as far as I can tell. If nothing else this tournament could present a guy with a resume good enough to be credible. If Matthysse is in, they need to give him a fight in Argentina or at least not in his opponent's hometown. Poor guy gets robbed every time. Are any of these guys really legit welterweights, or are they just chasing the money? I don't have the list in front of me as I write this, but the ones I remember were all junior welterweights like a week ago. Malignaggi moved up a while ago, but I have a sense that he'll get crushed the first time he fights a halfway decent and full-sized welterweight.

By the way, did Devon Alexander leave Don King and sign with Golden Boy? If so, I missed it. That would be a pretty ungrateful move, because King has clearly purchased a couple wins for Alexander in the past year or so, and I guess even put one of the guys that beat him (Kotelnik) on the shelf so we'd all forget he exists.

Comment

sounds kind of lame tbh. i know tourneys pit the best against each other, but injuries can occur and delay the fights, i just don't know, especially at this weight with the names involved. i say do one at 154.

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
                    This doesn't do much for me. Give me Khan/Bradley and Matthysse/Maidana on an HBO WCB and call it a day.
                    somebody at golden boy give this man a job quick!

Comment

While I agree that Pac, Floyd, etc. would ideally be part of any real championship-type tournament at 147, do any of you really think that would be realistic? Bob Arum might never let Pac fight a GBP fighter, much less in a GBP-sponsored and GBP-dominated tournament. What's more, Pac and Floyd are both automatic PPV A-sides and fight twice a year at most. That doesn't mesh well with an HBO tournament featuring 3-month intervals.

As for Khan-Bradley and Matthysse-Maidana, that would be great, but I don't really see why there's a welterweight fight among that bunch. As far as I know, the only one among them that even finds it remotely challenging to make 140 is Khan, and I'm sure he's got a year or more as a viable 140-pounder for sure unless he moves up to chase the money. I'd like to see a fight between the winner of those bouts, too. Khan and Bradley are the most accomplished, while Matthysse and arguably Maidana are the most underrated (given that Kotelnik is inactive). Matthysse has legitimately beat Judah and Alexander and probably ought to have a claim to the #1 or #2 spot. Maidana very likely would have had either a stoppage victory or a draw with Khan if it weren't for Joe Cortez and Joe Cortez + poor judging, respectively, though he arguably got lucky against Morales, too.

Comment

Working...
                      X