Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Bob Arum the true reason why Floyd and Pacman haven't fought?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
    Since always? Or at the very least the Muhammad Ali reform act.
    The fighter signs a contract stating that they belong to that promotional geoup for a certain amount of time or fights. Most contracts stating that the fighter can not work for any other promotional brand. The promoter doesnt sign a contract saying they belong to the fighter and they will not promote with any other fighter or business figure.

I see what you mean though, now I can say Kobe runs the Lakers.

Comment

Doesn't Pac pay Arum?

Which again Arum works for Manny not the other way around.
      No, the promoter pays the fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped Bird View Post
        Is the 27% that Arum takes from Pac before or after taxes?
        Don't know, but Pac pays him 27 of whatever he makes no?

If Pac only wants to fight Floyd Jr. Then Arum has no choice but to make that fight happen.

It's Pacquiao team, not Arum team but Pac team. Pac is in charge of his team. If Pac wants a fight it gets done. Plain and simple. If Pac is all to willing to fight Old washed up fighters. Then that's is who he will be fighting. Because, his willing. But, Arum doesn't make a move without Pac say so.

Is that really difficult to comprehend?

Comment

Doesn't Pac pay Arum?

Which again Arum works for Manny not the other way around.
          I mean I guess. If you consider "working" as sitting on your butt, puffing a cigar, while some midget engages in human warfare in the ring.

Quite the job. Just me, but I'd rather be Bob Arum.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetscience18 View Post
            No, the promoter pays the fighter.
            Pac gets paid off the PPV. Pac gurantee is what the projected minimum buys are for the PPV. So is the PPV is less than the minimum projected buys where the PPV didn't make the guarantee money. Then that's when the promoted comes out of pocket.

But, most of the time the PPV goes(esp Pac and Floyd) the PPV goes beyond the minimum projected buys, where they get the guarantee plus the money up front.

And, Pac gets his share then Pays Arum whatever Arum cut is, pays the trainer, manager, cutmann cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped Bird View Post
              I mean I guess. If you consider "working" as sitting on your butt, puffing a cigar, while some midget engages in human warfare in the ring.

Quite the job. Just me, but I'd rather be Bob Arum.
              So would I.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetscience18 View Post
                The fighter signs a contract stating that they belong to that promotional geoup for a certain amount of time or fights. Most contracts stating that the fighter can not work for any other promotional brand. The promoter doesnt sign a contract saying they belong to the fighter and they will not promote with any other fighter or business figure.

I see what you mean though, now I can say Kobe runs the Lakers.
                To expect that there would be a reciprocal employment situation is ridiculous as you must well know. Boxers, especially top class, fight only a very few times a year, with only themselves and families to keep, and promoters must be putting on shows as often as possible to make a decent living for themselves and the myriads of employees they need to have. And it is they who take the chances risking their money, not the fighters. If a promotion is not a success the promoter is often out of pocket for millions.

Apropos of this, do you know that the famous Bill Tilden, the tennis player, is the only professional athlete in HISTORY to offer to refund money to a promoter when their show lost money.

Comment

Guys, Pacquiao is not an employee. Pacquiao is a brand. He is what Bob Arum is trying to sell. Pacquiao is a Sony TV. Bob Arum is...Best Buy I guess. But the difference is, Pacquiao has a contract with Arum. In this case, the Sony TV cannot be sold at Target or Wal-Mart. He is strictly under Best Buy. So at the end of the day, Arum is the boss. If you are under a contract, then you have a boss. Contract is just a professional way of saying "You are owned by somebody." Vince McMahon is John Cena's boss. Dana White is Anderson Silva's boss. Get it? Got it? Good.
                  Last edited by The_Sandman; 09-03-2011, 06:54 PM.

Comment

So would I.
                    Well in real life. In my dreams, I'd rather be Pacquaio.

Comment

It seems some aren't clear on the role of a boxing promoter

A promoter is not a manager. There's huge difference between the two. The manager's job is to look out for the interests of the boxer. The promoter's job is to look out for the interests of the promoter. Sometimes those interests align with the boxer's interests, but more often they don't. That's why you hear of so many boxers ending up broke despite success in the ring -- the less money a boxer makes for fighting, the more money the promoter gets paid for promoting the fight. It's a lot like the setup that puts musicians and their labels at financial odds.

A boxing promoter is in charge of setting up and paying for everything involved in a boxing match and making sure all legal requirements are met at every step along the way. The promoter assumes all financial risk associated with the event, whether that means the promoter is paying for the event him- or herself or is securing a number of secondary investors to guarantee the costs are met. And when we talk about costs, we're talking about every single thing involved in a fighting event, from the plastic cups the beer is served in to the chairs for each corner of the ring to the ring itself, the round-number girl, the referee, the ticket sales, advertising, licenses and making sure the scales used for weigh-in are properly calibrated. A big-time promoter will often contract out a lot of the details, while a small-time promoter is probably standing in line at the state boxing commission's office to obtain the necessary licenses for a fight and is measuring the ring dimensions to make sure its up to code. But either way, the promoter is ultimately responsible if anything doesn't meet legal requirements or if something goes wrong and the ambulance isn't waiting right outside the venue with exactly two qualified paramedics.

The fact that the promoter is assuming all of the financial risk in setting up a fight means that he or she also logically expects to get a huge chunk of the profit brought in by that fight. This is where the promoter's interests are directly opposed to the boxer's interests. The promoter and the boxer's manager negotiate the boxer's "purse" for the fight -- how much money the boxer takes home for stepping in the ring. The boxers' respective purses are a cost involved in setting up the fight, just like supplying an ambulance and food vendors are costs. The larger a boxer's purse, the smaller the profit the promoter takes home. So the promoter's financial interests are best served by minimizing the boxer's purse as much as possible, and an unscrupulous promoter will take advantage of a young, hungry boxer who just wants to get in the ring and show what he or she can do. It's up to the manager to make sure the boxer gets a fair chunk of the pie. The promoter has no duty whatsoever to be fair to the boxer.

But while a promoter is going to do everything in his or her power to minimize costs, the interests of a boxer and a promoter do align in a general way in that both of them benefit from a well-publicized fight. The biggest skill involved in being a great promoter is being a great promoter -- knowing how to market and advertise a fight so that it appeals to the broadest possible demographic. It's knowing how get the most paying customers to want to see the fight. In this day in age, that usually means knowing the ins and outs of the pay-per-view system and getting all sorts of people, not just boxing fans, to pay a lot of money to get the fight on their home TV. For the promoter, a well-publicized, expertly marketed fight means profit. For a skilled boxer, it means going from "boxer with marquee potential" to "marquee boxer." And marquee boxers can negotiate huge, huge purses.

In the end, a boxer is best served when he signs on with a skilled promoter and sends in a loyal, dedicated manager to do the financial negotiating. Boxers who achieve not only success in the ring but also long-term financial success know to surround themselves with people who know the business of boxing as well as those who know the art.
                      Source

Comment

Working...
                      X