Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is true

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
      Pacquiao is a once-in-a-generation phenom. The UFC model is more sustainable.

What mega-star did Arum have since Oscar left? UFC doesn't NEED megastars. they have consistency.

Alexander-Bradley has about - what - 2,000 paid tickets?
      lol man I have a buddy who has been into this stuff since the beginning he was telling me the other day he remembers in 2004 before the ufc started on ****e literally no one knew what it was and your talking about consistency?

I was at Alexander vs. Bradley and the crowd was weak as hell but only really because of the location. If this took place in St. Louis 12,000+ are showing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
        But look how few those gates are. How many $2 million gates has boxing had in the past six months?

Take a middling UFC show and take a middling boxing show.
        1. Rampage vs hamill = $2.6 million, plus PPV
        2. Khan vs Judah = $700K, no PPV.

I'm no great PPV defender or anything....but i think boxing fans are sleeping on their commercial success.
        Ive seen these numbers from zuffa before

Comment

Originally posted by TR vs. GB View Post
          lol man I have a buddy who has been into this stuff since the beginning he was telling me the other day he remembers in 2004 before the ufc started on ****e literally no one knew what it was and your talking about consistency?

I was at Alexander vs. Bradley and the crowd was weak as hell but only really because of the location. If this took place in St. Louis 12,000+ are showing up.
          Yes. Consistency NOW.

Quick: where is Rampage from? How about Jon Jones? Or Rashad Evans? I literally don't know. Those guys don't need to fight at home. The UFC moves their fights around. Bythe way, the "three multimillion dollar events " figure I gave your earlier was ONLY for Nevada.

Your standpoint is confusing to me. That a sport that has been televised for 60-70 years is doing bigger numbers than a sport that has been televised for 6-7 years? I concede that point.

MY point is to look at the relative trends of those two sports. Who is cannabilizing whom?

Comment

[QUOTE=Gino Ros;11042773]Yes. Consistency NOW.

Quick: where is Rampage from? How about Jon Jones? Or Rashad Evans? I literally don't know. Those guys don't need to fight at home. The UFC moves their fights around. Bythe way, the "three multimillion dollar events " figure I gave your earlier was ONLY for Nevada.

Your standpoint is confusing to me. That a sport that has been televised for 60-70 years is doing bigger numbers than a sport that has been televised for 6-7 years? I concede that point.

MY point is to look at the relative trends of those two sports. Who is cannabilizing whom?[/QUOTE]

Neither they have completely different fan bases. You are looking at relative trends what has been happening to the ufc since ufc 100. DECLINING.

Comment

I believe that this sums it up pretty well on the worldwide level. Boxing is an ocean while mma is a bath. Someone posted that on here and I believe that really does tell the story. Internationally look at how many more boxers/boxing shows there are than mma fighters/shows. It is not even close.

Boxing's problem is it is all independent contractors trying to work out deals together. But in my eyes that is a very slim problem to the ufc which is a dictatorship and every dictatorship in the history of mankind has failed. Both sports have the problem of not having a union for retired fighters. Boxers make a much much better % of the revenue than mma fighters and this will become a major factor in the future of that sport you may start seeing a lot less stacked cards because bj penn does not want to fight for 65k anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by TR vs. GB View Post

Neither they have completely different fan bases. You are looking at relative trends what has been happening to the ufc since ufc 100. DECLINING.
                I respectfully disagree, and there have been polls/surveys that show considerable overlap in the fanbases.

Fifteen years ago, when MMA didn't exist as a sport, there was "a population". Right?

Now, I want you to think purely in probabilistic terms . Like Probability 301 in college. "a population". A pie.

So, MMA develops as a sport, and is (kinda) filling arenas and getting audience mindshare. And wallet share. Now, the pie didn't get any bigger, but a new slice is being cut out.

Where is that slice being cut FROM? From Nascar fans? maybe a little. From NFL fans? Probably a bit. From Boxing fans? I say (and industry data has shown) that is mostly it.

Think about it: MMA sites are often crossover sites with boxing.

If you insist that boxing and MMA are mutually exclusive, then I can not discuss this anymore with you.

Comment

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...oxing_ring.asp

Please watch this video first. I think Mark Taffet has a much better idea on this than you do.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/8/22...udience-debate

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
                    He has no room to talk because those MMA cats are risking their health for chump change.
                    Really chump change? How much money are you worth?

Back in 2006 Chuck Liddell had a Ferrari, Hummer, 4600 sq ft home in CA.
                    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20...ilmaster_sport

Anderson Silva just purchased a home in Southern CA for $1.76 million(Plus he has homes in Brazil
                    http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul...silva-20110701

Brock Lesnar made $5.3 million for the two fights he participated in during 2010
                    http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=6391391

Is that chump change? How much money are you worth? I personally don't give two ****s whether a fighter makes $2 million a fight or $20 million.

Its sad that he talks about being greedy when he is the greediest motha fuka out there
                    he makes bob arum look like Robin Hood.
                    UFC pays 100 percent of the injury premiums up to $50,000 per year per fighter. What type of insurance does Bob Arum or ANY promoter in boxing offer to it stable of fighters under contract?

Comment

Last 4 UFC PPV's have hovered around 300k... That's nothing to brag about.

Comment

Working...
                      X