Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Pacquiao Be Where He Is Without Roach?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingdruid View Post
    Example would be how Roach talked **** about Hopkins after Hopkins lost to Calzaghe and he stopped training with him. Maybe Roach didn't want anybody to think that he lost that fight because of his training so he tells everybody that Hopkins should retire because he can't perform in the ring anymore..... Look at Hopkins now, what do you think the problem actually was with Calzaghe? His only lost in recent years and it was with Roach in his corner.

He did the same thing with Delahoya after the Mayweather fight.
    whoa

good point

i never thought about that

Comment

Absolutely not!!

You cannot ever fully credit one or the other, like the saying "It takes two to tango". Often great fighter/trainer success stories are more than just a good trainer partnered with a good fighter, it is the chemistry between them and the style of both that makes a great fighter.

Freddie has made Manny the best he can be, but it is because of many factors, not only that Roach is a great trainer. I think there are a couple of trainers out there just as good as Roach but he had the right type of fighter with Manny, he did not have that type of success with James Toney, hopkins, etc because they had already learned there trade and been to the top, you can't mess with a fighters style too much otherwise you can ruin him, so in a sense you could say that with those guys he just made sure they were in shape and laid out a game plan to follow, but you have to consider those guys were defensive fighters, which I don't think is Roach's type of fighter. Manny was a rough diamond and Roach polished him up over a number of years, and despite what haters say, and Floyd Mayweather says, it did not happen over night, it happened over a number of years.

With Khan Roach is again proving his worth, not wholesale changes, but little tweaks every fight, and I believe in a couple of years you will see a big difference, and a much better fighter.

Comment

Probably fine, because Manny took what he said to heart almost any decent trainer would have tried to get Manny to do the things Roach did. Roach is a good trainer who keeps in rather simple which is pretty wise in a fight but beyond that he is not the only one out there that could have got the job done with an apt pupil.

Most fighters don't really want to hear advice while Manny was receptive, that is the difference not Roach.

Comment

Working...
        X