No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Demetrius Andrade: Former Olympian or Future Champ

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Demetrius Andrade: Former Olympian or Future Champ

By Cliff Rold - After what has truly been a stellar run for ESPN2’s Friday Night Fights in 2011, boxing arrives at what annually is one of its worst times of year.

Are you ready for some football?

Beginning a few years ago, ESPN has drawn the curtain on the sweet science during the fall as America’s Game kicks into full swing.

Brief Aside: Note the use of the term America’s Game. There are some who argue the NFL has become the national pastime, surpassing baseball. It’s not the case. Basketball? Maybe. Average folks can still play in the park. Anybody can play tag football too, but it ain’t tackle. American Football, the real thing, is almost entirely voyeur because most cats just can’t roll that tough. Just two cents from this corner.

But, hey, I’m a Baseball guy first…I’m biased.

Aside Over

That means lots of Chris Berman, and not as much Brian Kelly (at least BK on boxing). There have been years in the past when it wouldn’t be as missed. This is not one of them.

To its credit, the season finale is, on paper, a fitting end and homage to the televised year. In one corner is one of the year’s best stories. 40-year old Grady Brewer (28-12, 16 KO) once looked like he would finish up as Charlie without the Chocolate Factory. The journeyman record masked a serious fighter. In 2006, he won the second season of the “Contender.”

He never cashed in.

Knee injuries played a part in a layoff lasting from 2006-2008, just shy of a full two years, and he has fought only seven times since the reality T.V. tournament. To his credit, six of those starts were wins including a split decision of future titlist Cornelius Bundrage and his last venture to the ring.

On Friday Night Fights in June, Brewer upset undefeated and highly regarded Fernando Guerrero in four exciting rounds. Guerrero was one of many undefeated fighters to taste defeat for the first time on ESPN air this year. Brewer has a chance to swell the ranks one more time. [Click Here To Read More]

What a horrible way to finish FNF. There have been some amazing fighters and some amazing fights but they couldnt spend some time or money planning a better card for the season Finale? You give us a 90 year old Brewer with 300 loses?

This is how FNF going to be finale:

4rd'er with 8-0 vs 3-17
    8Rd 22-1 vs 9-7

and the "Main Event"

run, run, run, throw 1 punch, hold, run, headbutt, clinch, run, run , 1 punch, Brewer gets KO'd since he has no chin.

Piss poor main event.

Comment

Didn't brewer beat guerrero?

This is a good fight. The kids gonna win!

Comment

Average folks hardly play baseball in the parks and sandlots anymore, Cliff. So no matter how you try to spin it baseball is no longer the national pasttime.

And it's true that Lucian Bute hasn't really fought a top dog yet. Glen Johnson will be his first but how sad that it has to be a guy coming off a loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Medved View Post
          What a horrible way to finish FNF. There have been some amazing fighters and some amazing fights but they couldnt spend some time or money planning a better card for the season Finale? You give us a 90 year old Brewer with 300 loses?

This is how FNF going to be finale:

4rd'er with 8-0 vs 3-17
          8Rd 22-1 vs 9-7

and the "Main Event"

run, run, run, throw 1 punch, hold, run, headbutt, clinch, run, run , 1 punch, Brewer gets KO'd since he has no chin.
          if he sin't the goods....trust me.
          Piss poor main event.
          nah this is a good one.....

andrade could get ko'd if he isn't the goods........

Comment

Originally posted by americanbot View Post
            nah this is a good one.....

andrade could get ko'd if he isn't the goods........
            Lets make a bet, I just dont see him losing to him. Maybe 5 years ago, dude has took some savage beatings and some brutal KO's.

He cant be that bad Andrade

Comment

Originally posted by Medved View Post
              Lets make a bet, I just dont see him losing to him. Maybe 5 years ago, dude has took some savage beatings and some brutal KO's.

He cant be that bad Andrade
              i don't know how to make boxingscene bets & i wouldn't bet on this fight anyway because it's a less important fight (just a fight that u can watch for fun) andrade has very big flaws......he could get ko'd by brewer. brewer will come out siwinging for a ko....it's not that andrade is "that bad" it's just that he's been fighting TOTAL cans before this fight. he's use to fighting guys that are much less then brewer. he could EASILY have his bells rocked in this fight.......

unless andrade worked on his skills, this will be tough even if he gets the win.

thats why i say it's a nice little fight.
              Last edited by americanbot; 08-19-2011, 10:14 AM.

Comment

i am not that impressed with andrade at all.

i will admit he's got the tools but after watching his last fight on FNF, he has a lot he needs to work on.

if he doesn't improve, when faced with stronger opposition he will be exposed.

perhaps a change in trainers would be best.

Comment

Hopefully this fight is better than last week's main event on espn friday nights fights.

Comment

The title is actually incorrect.
                    He's already an Olympian.
                    The question is "...and future Champ"?

Comment

Working...
                    X