No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ballgame Take: Filling Out Boxing’s Best Lineup Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Ballgame Take: Filling Out Boxing’s Best Lineup Card

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - I’m a baseball guy.

Sure, it’s taken a back seat over the years to dozens of middleweight title fight recaps and myriad interim championship rants, but every now and then… I get back to my roots.

So as I pondered this week’s prose while watching my 3-year-old dissect a cheese quesadilla at our friendly neighborhood Denny’s the other day, it’s no accident I regressed.

After all, when I was just slightly more than little Ryan’s age, baseball was all that mattered.

As soon as I was sturdy enough on two legs to don the “tools of ignorance,” I took my place behind home plate, began a life’s worth of wear on my knees and pointed my career path toward Cincinnati… where I’d surely become the next Johnny Bench.

It seemed realistic enough as I tore up the Town of Niagara Little League.

But as it turned out, by the time I reached 17, the powers that be intervened.

For purposes of this anecdote, the powers that be were the varsity baseball coaching staff at Niagara-Wheatfield High School – led by veteran grey-haired gym teacher Joe Kwiatkowski.

Suffice to say, no matter how much I insisted my years of practice had girded me for competition with the Falcons in the Niagara Frontier League, Mr. K and his minions thought otherwise.

Truth told, 25 years later… they were dead on in their assessment.

And as much as I’d like to be taking a farewell tour of the majors with a final stop alongside the Ohio River at Great American Ball Park tonight, it’s probably better that things wound up how they did. [Click Here To Read More]

What a waste of space...go back a few generations...before clay and do it and there wouldn't be on current "star" on it.,,,ie: instead of hopkins try Archie Moore, older, better and would've KO'd him, or try SRR,,,and on and on and on...

Comment

I liked the article. . . made sense...But i would of had

Gamboa at lead off (he has the quickest hands...)

Pacquiao batting second (also has speed and ALWAYS makes contact)

Martinez batting third( BEST HITTER always bats 3rd)...

Both klitchkos at 4th and the 5th spot (POWER).

Angulo batting 6th

Ward batting 7th....

J.M Marquez 8th...and

Mayweather batting 9th...Can't give money a good spot because if he don't wanna PLAY, he'll get benched or traded.

I'll have Khan and Bradley in the bench.

Comment

I agree with Martinez at 3 over Ward. No. 3 is the best hitter in baseball. Albert Pujols, Babe Ruth, etc. Martinez should get the nod here.

Comment

My lineup would be this:

Mayweather would be lead off because he is talented enough to keep it in play, has the speed, and all the tools(in baseball terms 5 tool player). Mayweather sets the tone as a lead off guy.

In the 2 spot, Bernard Hopkins. Yes, he is old but with Mayweather setting the tone and your power and big talent coming up Bernard gets to see the best pitches.

Martinez in the 3 for he is in his prime unlike the first two.

Vitali in the 4 slots because of the power.

Manny at the 5. Has the power and could drive in the guys if Wlad is out.

JMM at 6. Smart, gives you all the overall skills you need to keep the thing going.

Ward goes in the 7th spot.

Donaire goes in the 8th.

Bradley in the 9th. 9th is pretty much another lead off hitter and with the speed and the good tools he could set the tone again.

Comment

pretty good article..who would your starting 5 pitching rotation be?

Comment

Working...
            X